Skip to content

What was the most craziest/reckless move you've made in BG:EE?

BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
The craziest move I made was going to that part of the wilderness of the Sword Coast where you find basilisks without being fully prepared for monsters that petrify you but I went there anyway. I had no idea what I was getting myself into going into that area, but I got lucky somehow.
Post edited by BladeDancer on

Comments

• XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    I was similarly unprepared for that last time. I discovered that the only spirit animal that is immune to bassilisks is the python.

My most reckless move was to sneak into the Sirine cave with invisibility, only to find that I didn't have it memorized twice, so I either had to run for it (solo Mage, no way), or rest in the cave (even with the carrion crawler update it's impossible). So I abandoned my no-reload policy.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Actually those Sirines aren't too dangerous for a solo player. They charm you, then typically just wait around until the charm wears off. Then they charm you again.

But after a bit they run out of charm spells and can't do very much.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Doesn't charm end a solo run?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Charging a dragon, completely unprepared.

And then one-shotting him with the Silver Sword.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    karnor00 said:

Actually those Sirines aren't too dangerous for a solo player. They charm you, then typically just wait around until the charm wears off. Then they charm you again.

Unless they are a few steps away. They have arrows of biting, that can be enough to kill a low level mage.

Anyway, werewolf island, provoked the dude in the hut outside the ship without any preparation. Got fireballed, lost Edwin, nearly killed Quayle, rest survived with roughly 2 HP each. Lost all gear Edwin wore in the process, too, including the dex gauntlets I meant to give to Yeslick instead of ogre strength gloves against Karoug. Oops.

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited October 2013
    karnor00 said:

I don't have much patience as you do. Besides, as I recall, they got shortbows and arrows of biting, so I disagree with you about Sirines not being very dangerous.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Joined Neera.. obviously
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Reckless from an RP prespective and pragmatic from a powergaming one often overlap. I tend to run a solo tank into groups of enemies and either wait a while before attacking or leave him to it.

With a great AC you're usually fine, if not better than running a group of middling meleers in. but I can't imagine any PnP group accepting it as a tactic.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Reckless in BGtutu - first char - rolled a solo monk, without any planning, not knowing what world of hurt I am going to get thru.

Reckless in BG2 - strolled into a Shadow Dragon's lair with only a monk, Yoshimo and Aerie. Actually turned into a Crowning Moment of Awesome, when the monk killed the dragon with first hit of Quivering Palm.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Trying to backstab a basilisk without petrification resistance. Second place goes to trying to kill the enemies on the chessboard in Durlag's tower by running around and hoping the lightning bolts get them.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In bg2 I got to the final battle in hell at level 10ish, and there was no way I was going to beat it, and I had to reload from a looong time ago and get some level ups.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    meagloth said:

In bg2 I got to the final battle in hell at level 10ish, and there was no way I was going to beat it, and I had to reload from a looong time ago and get some level ups.

How'd you manage to fight your way through Suldanessellar and Irenicus?
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    I'll just quote myself from a post I made way back in December to explain.

I was on the second level in the Cloakwood mine, and needed to quickly clear out the mess hall where almost all the guards were gathered. So I had Neera cast Chaos Shield, and got the result of the spell being cast twice. It said that I couldn't have two chaos shields going, but I find myself wondering. Next, I intentionally caused a surge with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer so that I could cast Cloudkill. The result of the surge: no save. I wiped out everyone in the room instantly except the mage Hareishan, who didn't last long after.

Needless to say, having Neera intentionally surge when she is only level 7 is pretty reckless. I'm just glad it worked out so well.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

I once started the game with a character who has a stats total less than 90

One-shot Saverok with an Assassin. Dead. On. Arrival!

That's not recklessness. That's luck!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ajwz said:

I started a character who has a stat total of 90 but 3 charisma. I'm using her as my party leader in an evil party (in BGEE). So far the guards and other random people I've talked to have been less than impressed by her :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    elminster said:

ajwz said:

I started a character who has a stat total of 90 but 3 charisma. I'm using her as my party leader in an evil party (in BGEE). So far the guards and other random people I've talked to have been less than impressed by her :)
    I'll be surprised if she can even get a party! The evil members have reaction rolls too, after all!

This is a personal preference, but I've always felt that an evil charname would probably require a fairly high Charisma score, probably higher than a Good Charname, because they essentially have to lead a bunch of cutthroat sociopaths and form them into a cohesive fighting unit, whereas a Good charname can rely to an extent on the innate goodness of his or her companions and the righteousness of their shared mission.

I mean let's be honest. Getting people like Edwin, Viconia, Xzar, Montaron, Shar-Teel and Dorn to actually fight together is a task that probably requires a fairly high charisma score.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I had to tag along with Montaron and Xzar instead of suggesting anything that sounded a bit like leadership. If you try to tell them you want to go the meet some friends first they reject you and walk away :D

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I let Noober live.
    elminster said:

I had to tag along with Montaron and Xzar instead of suggesting anything that sounded a bit like leadership. If you try to tell them you want to go the meet some friends first they reject you and walk away :D

Ha! Sounds like your character doesn't have the charisma to be a good team leader.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    elminster said:

There is a story to be told there about a neutral character's tragic fall to darkness through a string of bad life decisions.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    came within 10 pixels of clicking wizard slayer on character creation
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I almost chose playing as a monk.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    mch202 said:

Joined Neera.. obviously

Was going to write something similar. Opposing the Red Wizards of Thay for some random woman? It doesn't scream clever.

From a RL perspective though, most reckless was drinking a Potion of Explosions (I think? The one that is basically Fireball) to wipe out a huuuuge group of enemies in the bandit camp when I was allready injured. Worked out though, yay for RDD fire resistance! Had a single hit point left.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    pick pocketing Tethoril so I can gain some measly XP.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    One time I made a custom party of six wild mages.

Trivia: You can use Nahal's Reckless Dweomer as a subtitute for Improved Alacrity.