Skip to content

Things we got wrong

Comments

• GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    I made lots of mistakes but the misunderstanding which caused me most problems was not getting resurrection: I thought that when a character died that was it. So I'd be going along OK, then Khalid would die and I'd think, "I'm never going to finish with four characters, so I'd restart - not having grasped reloading either. Finally I got to Beregost with a full party alive - and Khalid and Jaheira decide to murder Xzar and Montaron and I'm going, "No, this can't be right. Stop! STOP!"
    I'm amazed I ever finished. It took me a looong time to work out 'Turn Undead' was useful too.
  • XannisXannis Member Posts: 12
    I thought this game was by far the hardest game I had ever, or would ever play because I didn't really understand how big of a difference high Dex made for practically everyone.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    GKL206 said:

I'm amazed I ever finished. It took me a looong time to work out 'Turn Undead' was useful too.

What did you do to turn undead to make it useful?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    meagloth said:

GKL206 said:

Probably played a good aligned cleric. It will be utterly useless for neutral (repell) and evil (turn friendly) because it only delays the kill, but high level good Turn Undead can -relatively reliable - kill undead.

• mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    my biggest mistake was rolling 18.99 strength for the first few playthrous, I though 18 00 is 0 roll not 100 lol
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    oh and before going to nashkel mines for the first time i was trying gather my party before bla bla bla:) I didn't know i was to far away with my team to go in ^^
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2013
    Thing I got wrong just now playing the beta patch: Dualclassed Imoen at level 7 thinking she would gain mage and thieving skills instantly. Only to learn that she must reach level 8 mage to unlock her thiefing abililities again.

There is always more to learn in this game.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    A friend of mine when first playing IWD thought that higher AC is better. He ran in without any armor and wondered why his group was wiped out so easily.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    mackos said:

my biggest mistake was rolling 18.99 strength for the first few playthrous, I though 18 00 is 0 roll not 100 lol

that was actually a very common mistake for many beginners
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    edited October 2013

meagloth said:

GKL206 said:

Probably played a good aligned cleric. It will be utterly useless for neutral (repell) and evil (turn friendly) because it only delays the kill, but high level good Turn Undead can -relatively reliable - kill undead.

I simply can't agree with you. Turn Undead is very useful when you're getting overrun by undead. TU not only delays the kill. It saves you from lots of incoming damage and nasty diseases. Especially in early levels. However you have to manually control your priest, as he will constantly try to attack undead which automatically stops TU.
  • NordomNordom Member Posts: 22

pixie359 said:

I didn't realise for ages that you could scroll down the thief skills when leveling up, so my top for skills all had 200 plus, while the rest had none.

What?!
    There are more than four skills? :O
    I genuinely did not know this. I need to go check this for myself RIGHT NOW.
    That is not the first time I heard this.
    Perhaps Overhaul should consider some hints? @Dee
    For example some "overshadowing" at the lower edge.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I guess people don't bother reading the manual these days.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    I used to consider Sleep a useless sleep good for only running away because - partly due to common sense, partly due to my previous Final Fantasy experience - I assumed creatures wake up when attacked...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i used to have trouble importing my character from BG to SoA. the only reason i do it is for the golden pantaloons
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

meagloth said:

GKL206 said:

I simply can't agree with you. Turn Undead is very useful when you're getting overrun by undead. TU not only delays the kill. It saves you from lots of incoming damage and nasty diseases. Especially in early levels. However you have to manually control your priest, as he will constantly try to attack undead which automatically stops TU.
    Sure it may hold back undead for a bit, but if you are about to be overrun, it still means you have to attack them all sooner or later. Good Turn Undead is vastly more useful because it doesn't just protect you, it makes the threat go boom almost instantly. Compared to repell/temp turn friendly, that is way better.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2013
    Even at low levels Turn undead is useful: you can drive off big bunches of undead and then kill them off a couple at a time, which is much easier than all at once. You do have to kill them all in the end but you can do it in manageable chunks. The same thing works very well at early levels of BG2 - rather than take on a dozen vampires at once you can scare them off then pick off one or two at a time.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Plus evil clerics can turn Paladins. Ok, maybe not so useful, but very fun in the Order building.
    When I first played BG2 I got daunted by all the new spells I guess and didn't figure out how to bring down protection spells. Once the cloak of mirroring got nerfed I was in trouble for a while.
    ah, vampires, I completely forget to use turn undead on those beasties, being playing for 1.5 decades and not once have I used turn undead against vampire scum buckets O.o :)
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    hmmm i didnt know minsc had an actual time limit and he killed me.....i done goofed
    Once I forgot about Minsc and didn't have any prior saves. I had to kick him out, get dynahair, and come back to him, because there wasn't even enough time to get to the stronghold.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    meagloth said:

Once I forgot about Minsc and didn't have any prior saves. I had to kick him out, get dynahair, and come back to him, because there wasn't even enough time to get to the stronghold.

I was unaware that would work. Good to know.
    Jace said:

I thought wearing non-magical jewelry was beneficial in a fashionable way. I assumed wearing expensive jewelry made a better impression on NPCs.

I ostensibly refused to sell gems because I liked those pretty stones and thought they would eventually be useful later as magical crafting components or something like that.

I was grabbing all the chunks of iron ore from the Nashkel Mine carts, thinking they would be useful in some way.

Inventory management sure was hell.

sounds like something I did back in the day, I think I used to do that with the iron ore as well, use it as evidence for the mayor, but it seemed that he wasn't too much into it

My first playthrough I thought that I was picking up good ore and would be able to sell it. ;-/
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    @recklessheart
    in short, you done goofed :D

trying to think of other things i got wrong....after gorion dies in my particular cutscene (they were slightly different) and ogre remained alive, i spend 2 real life days searching every nook and cranny during the day and night looking for said ogre trying to get revenge.... i was a mage and a wolf ate my face, the goofing continues
    I just remembered another one, when I first started, I didn't know which thief skills were the most important so every level up I put 5 points into each one ( I always had imoen) and best part is, never pick pocketed and barely if ever used stealth never mind backstab, it wasn't until years later did I start putting them in open locks/ find traps first, and then even a couple of more years before I even tried out pick pocketing, and even 1.5 decades later I still virtually never use backstab, ah goooooood times :)