Skip to content

Pre-Order Numbers

DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
I think this question might be more suitable for some of the people inside the production engine, so here's for hoping one of them catches this!

Will there be any official numbers for pre-orders? Maybe for first day, and then onward? I'm just curious to see how much buzz has been generated and how it translated to people actually getting into the frey and purchasing the game ahead of time.

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    would like to see this also!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Not necessary for me to know.
    They just have to say the date , they plan to start working on BG III
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    well I can tell you guys for sure they have at least ONE pre-order
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012

well I can tell you guys for sure they have at least ONE pre-order

I guess it is a rough estimation?? :)
  • HinkelHinkel Member Posts: 14
    I'd say about one or two hundred, though it'd suprise me if it was more than that
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    One just has to go through the "I pre-ordered"- thread and calculate at least a rough estimate. Although self-reported might skew the precise numbers. I'd just mostly want to know based on curiosity. At least on IGN the comments section was full of "I totally got it!" notices as well, so that might increase the numbers even further. I'd guesstimate ~2000 total before release. Then obviously more after the release date, once some of the reviews come out (and end up being positive, negative would decrease the numbers). Hard to say though, so an official number would be amazing. Wonder if the release of such information is restricted in the contract. @TrentOster, any idea if we can ever find out?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't think that's the kind of stuff that game companies like to talk about unless the numbers are really big.

Personally, I actually think that BGEE will probably sell more on iOS and Android.
    Tanthalas said:

I don't think that's the kind of stuff that game companies like to talk about unless the numbers are really big.

Yeah, you're probably right with that, but I can't help my curiosity!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i'm really interested in those numbers also. i hope they will at least give us the general idea :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

I don't think its our role to look into their pockets.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @mch202 lol, nobody is looking into their pockets, just general sales numbers. companies do that, but usually only if sales went well.
    mch202 said:

I don't think its our role to look into their pockets.

Holds some truth to it to be sure, but then again, one isn't looking for monetary facts, but rather the grade of enthusiasm. Also maybe something to do with bg3 and how possible it would be based on initial sales.
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    Curious here too. Really want to see them do well with it as games just aren't developed like these old classics anymore.

I'd be happy with a statement like "did well, better than expected" or "about what we expected", or "below expectations".
    Grif said:

I'd be happy with a statement like "did well, better than expected" or "about what we expected", or "below expectations".

I'd feel comfortable with that as well. Sometimes even numbers are a bit awkward, because we don't know about the internal expectations (Beamdog and/or the Devs).
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    badges for pre-orderers just appeard so you can see some numbers there :) "788 people have earned this badge."
    edited August 2012
    azurit said:

badges for pre-orderers just appeard so you can see some numbers there :) "788 people have earned this badge."

Was just about to point that out! It'll probably increase, and contains the chance that people didn't use the same emails here with which they ordered the game. Also, wonder how many people even join the forum, which will also skew the result a bit.

My educated guess would be that the orders are somewhere between 2000-3000, give or take 500.

A lot of statistical assumptions there, but I'm fairly confident with my estimate. Could be wrong, but even this number is positively high!

Edit: phone spelling awkwardnes
    @Delvon yes :) i believe there are, at least, 1000 pre-orders now
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I just hope it sells very well for various reasons.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I hope they hit a nice 10,000 by the time they release it, I really do. There's still some things we need to discover anyway *coughadventureycough*, so who knows. I bet there will be plenty more that will buy the game once some reviews are released :)

I hope they hit a nice 10,000 by the time they release it, I really do. There's still some things we need to discover anyway *coughadventureycough*, so who knows. I bet there will be plenty more that will buy the game once some reviews are released :)

Even though I'd want it to happen (and I sincerely hope I get this wrong!), but I have doubts about the possibility of that happening. And by that, I mean 10k purchases. Without significant marketing, and with the label of a 14-year-old game, its hard to sell to new gamers. Especially nowadays when there's such a heavy emphasis on graphical fidelity.

But I truly hope we can amass enough people through word of mouth, and other avenues, to properly sell the game!
    There are only one thing more interresting than money.... Other peoples money !!

But on topic.. Who cares.. We will hear if its a succes or not. Just a matter of time :O)
    lordkim said:

There are only one thing more interresting than money.... Other peoples money !!

But on topic.. Who cares.. We will hear if its a succes or not. Just a matter of time :O)

I'd think most people here would care if the game's a success or not! The prerogative for us to get the game is the prospect of BG3 along with improvements that will help us play the games until kingdom come!

I've never really cared about other people's money, nor do I fully grasp your jest, given that's the case...
    Sure, im not saying that it is not interressting. But surely you would know, that they just dont speak of such things at this moment.

And second, dude its humor... Guess im the only one who saw that movie...... Sry.
    lordkim said:

Sure, im not saying that it is not interressting. But surely you would know, that they just dont speak of such things at this moment.

And second, dude its humor... Guess im the only one who saw that movie...... Sry.

Don't worry about it! I'm quite unfunny.

It's kind of a shot in the dark when order numbers are concerned. The only thing we have (and will get most likely) is the badges for pre-orders, which number at ~850 right now. Then based on some statistical knowledge and assumptions, we can make out a rough estimate as to how many people will order the game, and have done so.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Personally, I would take the number of people with the preorder badge, and double it. Thats my estimation to how many total preorders exist
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I would preorder BGEE if I knew my monies could be applied to a boxed version, where that an option later.

Personally, I would take the number of people with the preorder badge, and double it. Thats my estimation to how many total preorders exist

Wouldn't be a bad estimate I'm sure!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Plus there's no mac pre-order option that I'm aware of, though how significant a minority we are I have no idea.
    @Moomintroll that's true too! So many variables. I have less faith in my estimate now! Along with Android and iPad users, these people cannot be accounted for at all, which might turn out to be a surprisingly large group. Hard to say though.
    so we have more than 1000 pre-orders for sure: "1012 people have earned this badge." :)