Skip to content

Challenge - create party that will own through BG1:EE and later in BG2:EE

2»

Comments

• lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    I don't think a few of these duals really fit the thread. For a dual class to 'own' you have to do it early in BG1 or early in BG2, otherwise your downtime is too great. Dualing at 7 and 9 doesn't meet this. You're actually just hamstringing the BG1 part for BG2, which is not really what the OP asked.

To go through BG1 with ease you need to have early duals or multiclasses, and you need a fair few fighting classes over casters, as casters don't do a heck of a lot early game. Also there are a few of the kits that just aren't so great in BG1 due to itemization not existing for them.

To go through BG2 with ease you need a few mages, with a lot of straight up melee damage.

TBH: Anyone who doesn't have an Archer is pretty much 'doing it wrong' if they're going for power. Likewise with the Inquisitor. Those two are pretty non-negotiable. The other 4 spots can be argued about, as the differences aren't huge, but I would suggest that you need at least three of them to be mages in some form, and two of them to not be multiclass mages.

Needing a cleric is arguable, as the archer can cast from scrolls.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I don't agree that running without an archer is "doing it wrong". They get good THAC0 early in BG1 but get surpassed pretty early in the sequel for damage, survivability and versatility. Likewise, Inquisitors are fairly unnecessary in BG1 and only shine in BG2 & TOB.

A lot of powerhouse duals will be single-class for the BG1 and still be very tough. A Berserker for a Cleric, Druid or even Thief or Mage dual is strong throughout, and skips the squishy-Kensai phase.

9 (10 for thieves) is usually considered the easiest point to dual as you get so much XP handed to you early in BG2, meaning minimal downtime. Level 9 is where fighter classes will be at the end of Chateau Irenicus, and you can probably get your levels back with the easy city quests before you step into a proper dungeon.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Inquisitors are still perfectly fine as fighters in BG1, and can clean up mages (especially if you have SCS). Once you do his BG2 then they are necessary for any owning to take place. Archers are great to good all the way through to late SoA and significantly dominate in situations where other classes just don't.

A early SoA dual is fine, but having a couple of them, or doing it before the end of BG1, is not 'owning'; it's metagame micro-managing.
  • DrachuDrachu Member Posts: 6
    Trying 2 teams atm, one of it is Corvino's idea with Archer as the sixth character. It's true (if i remeber correctly) that they are not so powerful in BG2, however i enjoy them very much and always take one. Playing with the Sword Coast Stratagems with insane diff now. I' hope it won't overwhelm me ^^