Skip to content

Cleric/Mage dual

2»

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    For a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist you're best going with 17 starting Con for shorty saves (18 with tome). Likewise, you don't need the full 19 Int, 18 is adequate to start if you need the points. For a Half-Elf C/M then 15 Con is fine to start.

Str is pretty irrelevant to C/Ms and only really affects your ability to wield melee weapons and use armor. You're best off sat at the back casting your huge range of spell rather than meleeing though.

Unfortunately, Cha and Str are going to end up dump stats unless you make some truly great rolls.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Being the OP, I'd like to shift the focus back to me. :)

Multi is not an option for me. I don't like the slower leveling. Frankly, I'd prefer to play a pure class, but I can't find one that would be interesting enough for me by itself. Also, being that I'm playing with a canon party though the series, pretty much anything I pick is going to be redundant. Imoen will have magic and thieving covered, Minsc is a good tank, Jah is my cleric and backup tank. This party is good enough on it's own. Even more so for BG1 when Kivan can have archery covered and Dyn is extra magic.
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2013
    Edit: I know you were thinking caster-types, but if you're interested in considering a less conventional pure-class playthrough...

Half-Orc Kensai is pretty ridiculous. Splatters enemies with incredible efficiency. Sure it doesn't have the tankiness of Kensai/Mage duals, but at level 39 (ToB) XP cap, it gets +13 to hit and damage... with every attack - and that's not even counting a possible natural STR of 23 (21 if you're a goody-goody).

You said you had two melee "tanks" - this guy isn't a "tank" - he's a killing machine.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I like mixing fighter levels via dual classing or even ranger with cleric but I'd say if you're going to mix two casting classes like mage/cleric it really seems best to multi-class rather than dual because if you dual, one class or the other is stopped dead in its tracks for advancement. Multi means you keep getting levels and spells in both and that's what really makes multi-classing a mage/cleric really worth while.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Kneller said:

Being the OP, I'd like to shift the focus back to me. :)

Multi is not an option for me. I don't like the slower leveling. Frankly, I'd prefer to play a pure class, but I can't find one that would be interesting enough for me by itself. Also, being that I'm playing with a canon party though the series, pretty much anything I pick is going to be redundant. Imoen will have magic and thieving covered, Minsc is a good tank, Jah is my cleric and backup tank. This party is good enough on it's own. Even more so for BG1 when Kivan can have archery covered and Dyn is extra magic.

If multi is out then you'll need to start looking at class kits. Of the canon party, which are the ones you enjoy the most? If you like Minsc and Jah lean towards one of the Paladin or Cleric kits. If you like Imoen and Dyn look at a Bard. Or a swashbuckler for a fighter/thief sort of mix.

Sometimes the problem with this game is there are too many interesting choices. I almost never take a character up to the Cloakwood Mines because I come on here and see someone trying something else that seems fun and I reroll a new toon. Variety is the spice of life indeed.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Kensai are a little too glass cannon for me. I am thinking along those lines though, specifically a Cavalier. though this probably belongs in another thread.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    If you are going to play a shorty race, then it's advisable to have 18 in CON for the whole saving throw bonus, if you can arrange it.

Play it hardcore: Races and Stats

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited October 2013
    @Kneller Playithardcore have a good breakdown of multi and dual combos with recommendations. I don't think I can add much further to what they say:

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Corvino said:

@fighter_mage_thief From a roleplaying perspective you're very right. Maybe not all D&D deities are jealous gods, I guess.

"Oh lord, I am not forsaking you, merely abstaining from your reverence while I study as a mage and kill X many monsters to prove my worthiness"

Sounds wrong to me.

Makes sense if your patron is Mystra or any arcane themed deity. I'm pretty sure her/their response would be, "M'kay".
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Hell gives +3 str by itself, if you do the right stuff. +2 for taking the evil path in Wrath, and an extra +1 for releasing your wrath on Sarevok. An evil (as in player intent) fighter with 18 starting str can reach a passive 24 str with all possible bonuses (though you have to use the deck before dualing).
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    edited October 2013

Dual classing a cleric just doesn't feel right.

A cleric (magic user) who decided to stop worshipping his God but still has his spellcasting abilities and therefore is now a mage

Makes sense to me

@wampa cleric/illusionist don't get Horrid Wilting. That's pretty big for me