Skip to content

Am I the only one on the fourms with the original baldurs gate?

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

Umm, no. WIN7 won't install from the original discs, however, which is why I have BG:EE.

Mine work just fine on Windows 7.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Awong124 said:

Umm, no. WIN7 won't install from the original discs, however, which is why I have BG:EE.

Mine work just fine on Windows 7.
    Mine work with a bit of fighting. This is why I support the EEs come hell or high water; a version of the Infinity Engine guaranteed to work on modern machines.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    yeah well how many of you still have volo's map? Huh???

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    sure !
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I don't own the original as I borrowed it from a friend back in the day. I did buy BG2 when it was released though.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Ahhhhhh the original 5 disc set.

Want to go to Beregost, High hedge, Nashkell and then onto the wilderness for some adventuring, Well have 4 discs ready to swap in and out at every loading screen.

Juggling the discs in and out of the computer was almost as challenging as the Undercity. Espeically when you slipped up and but in the wrong disc.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    No reply. I'm pretty sure this thread was a sad trolling attempt by somebody from that RPG forum that hates EE.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i have the collectors edition but the DVDs got too scratched as me and my two brothers (older ones who introduced me to it) played it constantly and my expansions don't work, saying that they only work in Canada so i've never actually played through the expansions....yet

@reedmilfam

i know its pointless now we have BG:EE but try directly copying all the files on the disc to your computer and install it from your computer (so it would be like from your hard drive to your hard drive) and then run in compatibility mode because it worked for me, but i had like windows 7 ultimate N version I'm not sure if it made a huge difference, it shouldn't do but it wouldn't surprise me
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I still have my original discs from 1998. I also have the Gog.com version. Sometimes I still like to play the TotSC vanilla game, because certain things about it are more fun and challenging than the more updated versions.

I like the "no pause on inventory" feature, the simpler, grouped weapon proficiencies, and the original sprites for the armor. The stonework interface gives it a better sense of nostalgia, and I even like to play it at 800 x 600 resolution, because the zoomed in feeling gives it a great sense of "being there".

(I know you can zoom in EE, but it's not the same - the lines and contrasts aren't as sharp as the original 800 x 600 resolution with maximum zoom in on EE.)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

I like the "no pause on inventory" feature

That's one thing that annoyed me in the original.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i have the original 5+TotSC & did a vanilla play-through of the original after playing through BGEE, just to check out differences...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Awong124 said:

I like the "no pause on inventory" feature

That's one thing that annoyed me in the original.
    Thats one of the things that I liked about the original :)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535

yeah well how many of you still have volo's map? Huh???

I do! two of them and all the original manuals. Also have unopened copies of the original BG, BGII:SoA and BG2:Tob :) When the game came out and I had a chance to play it... picked up extra copies in case my discs got scratched (which they did from overuse).

elminster said:

Probably not.

"Probably"? The tone of the OP is extremely condescending and galling, with a subtext of suggesting that only people who do not have the original could like EE. What other purpose could there be?

• TemplarTemplar Member Posts: 21
    Baldur's Gate is actually the only game series where I never hesitated to buy several copies.

As of now I have:

5-disk version of BG1
    1-cd version of TotSC
    BG1 dvd-edition
    BG2 4-disk version
    1-dvd version of ToB
    4-dvd bundle with BG1, TotSC, BG2 and ToB
    and BG:EE, of course :p

Map and manual from BG1 still intact, I remember having tons of fun trying to decipher what Volo had written between the paragraphs. And I was always scared when reading the map, because there was some of the mobs on it I liked to meet less than others.

The only bad thing, was that Volo's map never was fully accurate. I got stuck in my first playthrough because I could not find one of the taverns that was displayed wrongly..

Aah, the good old days :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013

elminster said:

Probably not.

"Probably"? The tone of the OP is extremely condescending and galling, with a subtext of suggesting that only people who do not have the original could like EE. What other purpose could there be?

I just think you were reading way too much into this persons intentions considering they've posted a grand total of 4 things (2 discussions, 2 comments) on the forum. Particularly since none of the other posts are (lacking a better word for it) controversial.

Based on his/her other posts I'm going to suggest that this is someone who recently purchased the original Baldur's Gate, is looking for help with it, and perhaps (speculating on my part) is seeing a lot of threads that deal with the EE or BG2 and not the original.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561

Where are you getting all that from? o_O
  • StolemykitkatsStolemykitkats Member Posts: 7

No reply. I'm pretty sure this thread was a sad trolling attempt by somebody from that RPG forum that hates EE.

I just dont go on the fourms that often, and I dont really see the point of buy EE if I have the original.

• BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013

I just dont go on the fourms that often, and I dont really see the point of buy EE if I have the original.

There are many good reasons for buying EE, but obviously no one is forced into buying it. If you're satisfied with the original, stick with the original - just know that many of the issues, bugs, inconsistencies and other possible tediousnesses that you might come across in the original are potentially fixed or otherwise improved in EE. :)
    edited October 2013

There are many good reasons for buying EE, but obviously no one is forced into buying it. If you're satisfied with the original, stick with the original - just know that many of the issues, bugs, inconsistencies and other possible tediousnesses that you might come across in the original are potentially fixed or otherwise improved in EE. :)
    I might consider buying EE, due to the glitches that have happened to me in the past.. But I really made this fourm for the people who dont have EE and have the original BG, just the original. I'm sure there are at-least a few million with only Bg(not EE). I'm also surprised at how many posts are on the fourm, for any fourm I have ever made has never had 30+ posts :D
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Stolemykitkats Somehow the way you phrased the question in your thread awoke many a forum member's hunger to show off the fact that they also own versions of the originals. Surely you must've had some idea that this was what was going to happen when you started the thread.

@Stolemykitkats Somehow the way you phrased the question in your thread awoke many a forum member's hunger to show off the fact that they also own versions of the originals. Surely you must've had some idea that this was what was going to happen when you started the thread.

I actually did.. Im usally lazy with fourms, so this happens.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I assume the time spent away has been in quest for your stolen kitkats. Have you got them back yet, or did the thief eat them already?
    alnair said:

Where are you getting all that from? o_O

It's called inference. Don't look at me like I'm crazy. This totally seemed like a troll post, especially given the lack of a reply up until this point. Less so, now. A man is allowed to be wrong, and in this instance I am glad that I am.
    elminster said:

I just think you were reading way too much into this persons intentions considering they've posted a grand total of 4 things (2 discussions, 2 comments) on the forum. Particularly since none of the other posts are (lacking a better word for it) controversial.

Based on his/her other posts I'm going to suggest that this is someone who recently purchased the original Baldur's Gate, is looking for help with it, and perhaps (speculating on my part) is seeing a lot of threads that deal with the EE or BG2 and not the original.

"Way too much" is not the phrasing I would use. The wording of the question sounded very elitist. People on the internet don't typically use the "am I the only one" format unless they feel like (or are suggesting they are) the only sane person in a world gone mad.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited October 2013
    I am sure that once there was some bright optimist who dreamt that the internet would bring the peoples of the world into rational communion with one another...

I would like to also note that I was initially under a similar impression to Schneidend and thought this was a troll post, so it wasn't just him who inferred that. I am also glad to have been wrong, I just wanted to say this to make it clear he was not alone.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Jeez, lots of suspicious people on these forums...

If you truly think it's a troll, ignore and move on. No matter how scathing you think your reply is, you're only playing into their hands. And if it isn't, then you've just made yourself look bad, picking on some innocent newbie :(
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I had my Baldur's gate disk 2 crack from over play, it was a sad day that, but I still have all of my original disks of all the bg games and expansion, and I still have the boxes, and 2 copies of volo's map somewhere, plus I have all 4 original manuals somewhere as well, and vanilla bg1 likes to lag on my pc unless I use directx control and turn off 3d acceleration then it works like a champ
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561

Don't look at me like I'm crazy.

It was just a raised-eyebrow look: o_O or O_o
    (Once using these things meant you were younger than the other posters... I guess it's the opposite now?)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Hmm, interesting how many interpretations are being floated about the intentions of the OP.

I immediately took it as an invitation for people who still possess the original discs and game to share about the vanilla experience of the game.

I never saw any nefarious intent at all in it until I started reading some of the posts here.

Go figure. "Glass half empty, glass half full" people, I guess.