Skip to content

Arcane Discussion: What were the two most powerful offensive spells in the BG Series?

124»

Comments

• MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    I need to update my post on here...

I have found that combining ABHW + a well placed Web can make for one messy show. Launch said assault under G.C. with something like Cloudkill, and I can almost be certain very little will be walking out of that alive.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2012
    For the big fights. Robe of Vecna -Time Stop - > Improved Alacrity -> Breach, Pierce Magic (any other fitting protection removal spell), Greater Malison - > Lower Resistance, Lower Resistance, Horrid Wilting, Horrid Wilting, Horring Wilting. Not sure if this was the exact list and order (last time i played BGT SCS Insane was over a year ago), but Edwin basically melted face with this. You can also throw all your sequencers at the enemy once Malison and Lower Resistance affected him but he hasn't died yet.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    timestop + shape change- illithid!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Blasting dragon:

-Spell Trigger: 3x Lower Magic Resistance (dragons have around 60% MR), dragon becomes hostile
    -Contingency: Greater Malision, target nearest enemy on enemy sighted
    -Chain Contingency: 3x Horrid Wilting, target nearest enemy on enemy sighted

Waylay by tough enemies and build up a quick army (mods):

-Contingency: Improved Invisibility/Mislead, target self on enemy sighted
    -Casts Projected Image
    -Chain Contingency: 3x Projected Image, target self on self status=helpless
    -Each clone summons a Planetar (caster has the robe of vecna and power amulet)

I think the most powerful spells are spell triggers, chain contingency and the cloning spells.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    bbear said:

Waylay by tough enemies and build up a quick army (mods):

-Contingency: Improved Invisibility/Mislead, target self on enemy sighted
    -Casts Projected Image
    -Chain Contingency: 3x Projected Image, target self on self status=helpless
    -Each clone summons a Planetar (caster has the robe of vecna and power amulet)

I think the most powerful spells are spell triggers, chain contingency and the cloning spells.

But that is technically cheating, since PI should hold the caster, making in impossible for him to cast more than one of them.
  • Silverspirit2001Silverspirit2001 Member Posts: 14
    Most powerful spell - the one that I am currently using.

But for a bard, the most powerful spell, is dispel magic. Combined with 40th level, it will bring down every magic user in the game.
  • Silverspirit2001Silverspirit2001 Member Posts: 14
    Oh, and I forgot. MMM. Fricking love that spell.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Ctrl+Y and Reload

/shot
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    I'll stick with the inquisitor thanks :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Well I can tell you that it's not Infravision or Detect Evil...

I love Horrid Wilting, great party-friendly AoE damaging spell, at least one reason not to take an Illusionist...

It is actually know alignment ! :p

• DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

Unless of course we allow divine spells in this chain too..
    Dogmatix said:

elminster said:

Unless of course we allow divine spells in this chain too..
    Not really. Unless you plan on casting it on every uniquely named NPC you run into (just to make sure they aren't fishy in nature) its really not going to be all that useful in game for use with any divine spells.
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2012
    Don't forget Cone of Cold with it's massive width & range in high lvls and raw damage from Chain Lightning.
  • Medivh1234Medivh1234 Member Posts: 95
    Timestop , Alicirtyyy dont remeber the spelling:) and just every spell in your spellbook
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624

@Frostiken
    At least in IWD1 which I'm playing atm. What makes Command useful is that it has no saving throw and a cast time of 1. Thus you can use it as a counter spell or quickly cast it when someone gets close to you and then run back to kite them some more after the round ends. I think its one of those undervalued treasures that having at least 1 of can never really be seen as a bad thing.

Command works the same in the BG series (cast time of 1, no save) and I also agree that it is an undervalued treasure. I use it a lot as a solo-Cleric in BG1 and it is very efficient at taking out a single dangerous ennemy from the battle. It will work if he has poor AC and low HP's, typically a spellcaster. If you concentrate all firepower during that round when he's commanded to sleep, then he's most likely toast.

Another lvl.1 spell which I find very useful, even in the late stages of BG2, is DOOM. It has again a cast time of 1, and no save, giving a -2 penalty to an ennemy's throws - even just for 1 turn, it is very handy.
    edited November 2012
    Ignatius said:

Another lvl.1 spell which I find very useful, even in the late stages of BG2, is DOOM. It has again a cast time of 1, and no save, giving a -2 penalty to an ennemy's throws - even just for 1 turn, it is very handy.

<>

Especially when combined with a chromatic orb.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I also like Doom->Poison. Even in late BG2 this can be surprisingly efficient to finish off some of the toughest opponents.