Skip to content

Share a (some) good recipes

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
Since the time of much food (Holidays) is upon us, share some or a good recipe with everyone.

Crockpot Barbecued Meatballs

1 (1-pound) package frozen precooked meatballs (I get a sack at Wal-Mart in the frozen section)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup beef broth
1/2 cup steak sauce
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place meatballs in 3-4 quart crockpot.

Mix remaining ingredients in medium bowl until combined; pour into crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours until meatballs are hot and tender. If the sauce is too thin, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and stir it into the crockpot; cook on high 10-15 minutes until thickened.

If you have a new hot cooking crockpot, cook on low for 4-6 hours until meatballs are hot and tender. Thicken as directed if desired.

Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.
meaglothJLeelolien

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't have a recipe immediately, but apparently if you use waffle mix instead of flour in chocolate chip cookies they turn out fine if you cook them for half as long.
    :-)
    I do want to say this is a really good Idea. Kudos to you.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    That's good! I have a way to make the moistest boxed cake you will ever taste. Add to one boxed cake mix one 20 oz can of pie filling in lieu of the water and oil. Add just the pie filling and three eggs to the mix and you will have a cake *so* moist and delicious, you will have to taste it to believe it. And unless you run into a piece of fruit, you won't actually taste fruit. I've made lemon cake with lemon meringue and key lime pie filling, golden cake with apple pie filling (add some cinnamon, and it's a taste treat!), Red Velvet with Strawberry Pie filling, Chocolate Cherry. Chocolate Strawberry. Chocolate Raspberry, Red Velvet Cherry, Golden Peach, White Blueberry (cake turns purple, otherwise fine) and Golden Cherry (cake turns pink). Just cook at 350° for 30-40 mins.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    And, um, don't use frosting on such a cake. It's actually too sweet- it will make you sick.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    This one from Epicurious is great and easy to make:
    Pan-Seared Tuna with Ginger-Shiitake Cream Sauce
    Ingredients

6 6-ounce tuna steaks, each about 1 inch thick
    2 tablespoons peanut oil

3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
    6 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    Lime wedges (optional)
    Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 200°F. Sprinkle 1 side of tuna steaks with pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Place tuna steaks, pepper side down, in hot oil and sear 2 minutes. Turn tuna over and continue cooking to desired doneness, about 2 minutes for rare. Transfer tuna to rimmed baking sheet; keep warm in oven.

Add butter, sliced green onions, cilantro, ginger and chopped garlic to same skillet and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Mix in mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer 30 seconds. Add whipping cream and simmer until sauce lightly coats back of spoon, about 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Spoon sauce onto plates; arrange tuna atop sauce. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.

We served it with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. BTW, when did Epicurious get so many ads, Jesus H!!!
    rexreg
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    This is actually a recipe from wikihow (hehe) but I've found it to be good. I've thrown in some thoughts/suggestions, which is why it looks very long.

Cinnamon rolls: (makes 16-18 rolls)

Ingredients for the dough

2 1/2 cups flour (I normally use all-purpose)
    5 teaspoons fresh yeast or 8.5 g / 1/2 tablespoon of dry yeast
    5 tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup milk
    5 tablespoons sugar
    2 eggs
    1 pinch salt

Ingredients for the spread

1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 cup brown sugar
    3/4 stick of butter (1.5 cups), kept at room temperature

Other:

Some flour for dusting of cutting board (just to stop the dough from sticking).

2 casserole dishes (the long ones you'd make like a lasagna in)

A big cutting board (or something to spread out the dough on for rolling up the rolls)

Rolling pin

Notes:

The recipe technically calls for an "Egg Wash" (made up of 1 egg with 2 tbsp milk beaten together) that you "paint" onto each cinnamon roll. I've never bothered with it.

You can use dark brown sugar or yellow sugar for the rolls. I think yellow sugar works better because its not overpowering and it compliments the cinnamon and sugar found in the dough.

Directions:

Mix the ingredients for the dough up (for say a few minutes). If you've got a mixer of some kind for the job use that but I normally do this recipe by hand. You'll want the dough to be consistent and also not sticking to the sides (of the bowl you are mixing it in) or too wet. So if you have to add in a little bit of extra flour thats alright (add a like a tablespoon or two at a time until the dough isn't sticking).

Knead the dough. Technically the recipe here calls for it to be done in a bowl that you've floured a little. I just use a floured cutting board. When its on the cutting board I also normally wash the bowl I've mixed the dough up in (which is rather odd I suppose because thats where the dough is going again after you knead it).

If you've never kneaded dough before basically just fold the dough in half and then press down on it with your two palms. The aim here is to just stretch out the dough, give it some strength, ensure the ingredients are mixed, and to develop the gluten. So folding it and pressing down 15-20 times should be good enough. If you find the dough sticks to your hands then put some flour on your hands.

Now take your dough, throw it back into the bowl you mixed it in, and cover the bowl (a dish drying towel will do). Give it an hour to rise. The dough should hopefully double in volume.

While its rising its now time to make the spread you are going to be applying on top of the dough. There are two approaches you can take with this.

Approach A) (I've found this to be the quicker approach)

You want your butter to be soft. If its not quite there yet at this point I normally give it 10-15 seconds of microwave time (which is probably a baking no-no). Whatever is required to to get it soft enough that you can easily work with it (but not becoming puddle).

Mix up the cinnamon and brown sugar. (do not include the butter in this)

Approach B)

You want your butter to be soft. If its not quite there yet at this point I normally give it 10-15 seconds of microwave time (which is probably a baking no-no). Whatever is required to to get it soft enough that you can easily work with it (but not becoming puddle).

Mix up the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. You'll want this to be pretty consistent. I normally do this by hand though I suppose you could use some kind of a mixer.

Now in either approach you could probably get away with somewhat reducing the amount you are going to mix for this spread (less butter, brown sugar, etc). However, I've found that the recommended amounts work great.

Dough (1 hour later).

So an hour has past. Your dough, being an idealist dough that works like clockwork, has risen exactly on schedule (if this isn't the case and you feel it hasn't risen enough give it a bit more time). It should be roughly double its original size.

Preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit ( 190 Celsius)

Take your dough and put it onto your cutting board (lightly flour your cutting board beforehand). Your goal here is to take this dough and spread it out so that it is a large rectangular shape. The easiest way to do that is to actually punch down on the dough. It sounds odd but basically start punching down on the dough, going from the bottom left side of the dough to the right side, and then repeating this all the way up it. Flip the dough over and repeat this process.

I write this because its probably going to be a lot easier to do this and then roll it, rather than just trying to roll it from the start. You are trying to spread the dough out fairly evenly here.

Once you've got your dough's length to roughly that of your rolling pin (maybe a little bit longer if you have a short rolling pin) try to use your pin to shape the dough so that its as close to a rectangle as possible. If you can't do this its not a big deal though. Dimension wise I suppose you'll want your dough to have a width that is half of its length (but if it isn't thats not a big deal).

Now you are going to start spreading your mixture onto the dough. Here we go back to the two difference approaches I mentioned earlier.

Before we start I'm going to point out that you'll want your dough to be aligned like this

and not aligned vertically.

Approach A)

Take about 2/3's of your butter (roughly a cup) and begin spreading it on dough. Spread it evenly across the dough but leave a band of about an inch at the top of your dough free of any butter.

When this is done take two thirds of your mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it over top. Lightly press the mixture into the dough with your hands just so that the brown sugar it is no longer dry. Do this anywhere you've put butter.

When you are done take your remaining 1/3 mixture of cinnamon/brown sugar, and your 1/2 cup of butter and put them aside. At some point shortly you'll want to mix them together.

Approach B)

Take about 2/3 of your (butter, cinnamon, brown sugar) mixture and begin spreading it on the dough. Spread it out evenly across the dough but leave a band of about an inch at the top of your dough free of any mixture. Leave 1/3 of the mixture (you will need it for later).

In either case it should look something like this (I took this image from the internet but it looks about right)

Now you'll want to roll the rolls. Remember that the dough should be a little stretchable. If it breaks a bit in places its not a big deal (obviously don't make it a habit of doing this). Regardless of the approach you took for the spread start rolling the dough up. As you are rolling the dough you can pull on it a little to tighten it up. Also try to pull the dough at its ends so that the two ends of the roll are flat/even (nothing is sticking out). When you've rolled the dough to the point that you are at that empty strip take a brush and lightly brush on some water onto that part of the dough (this is just to help hold the roll together). Complete the rolling.

Cut off an inch or from either side of your roll. These are your end pieces and chances are they are fairly light in terms of how much spread they have on them. I normally bake these as well but its up to you.

Now take your two casserole dishes. Lightly cover the bottoms and sides with some vegetable/cooking oil.

Take the remaining log/roll and spread it out as evenly as you can. Cut it into 16 equal pieces (easiest way to do this is to cut it in half, then cut one of the halves in half, and so on). Place the rolls in the casserole dishes. 2 rows with 4 in each row. You can also throw in an end piece in each if you'd like.

Now take your remaining mixture and spread it out over top of each roll.

Bake both batches at 375 Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes.

Note: When you pull it out of the oven your cinnamon rolls will probably look very soupy. Don't worry about it. For me thats always how they've turned out. Leave them on your counter/cutting board to cool down for 10-15 minutes. The spread in particular will cool down and harden up.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited October 2013
    Homemade Salsa and Guacamole are easy to do, and guests are always pleasantly surprised that you went to the effort instead of just buying them from a shop.

Salsa:
    6 ripe tomatoes
    1/2 a red onion
    2 teaspoons of tomato puree
    Juice of 1/2 a lime
    A glug of olive oil
    A sprinkle of dried oregano

Finely chop the tomatoes (leave the seeds in) and onion. Combine the chopped veg, lime juice, puree, olive oil and oregano in a large bowl. Give it a quick mash with a potato masher and then stir.

Guacamole:
    2-3 ripe avocados
    1/2 a red onion
    1 ripe tomato
    A handful of fresh coriander
    Juice of 1/2 a lime

Skin and stone the avocados. Finely chop the coriander, onion and tomato. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth.

Serve both with Tortilla chips and sour cream.

Storage tip: to keep the guacamole fresh, cover it with cling film (saran wrap) with the film in contact with the surface of the guacamole, avoiding air bubbles.

*Edit* I just remembered a very appropriate link from recipes to Baldur's Gate itself. Dradeel, the mad mage on the Werewolf Isle has a book of recipes, the text of which is an follows:

'The Recipes and Ruminations of One Dradeel of Tethir'

Formerly

'A lovely Bun-cake Brightens Anyone's Day'

The recipes herein are mine own imagining, and thus ingredients are subject to change as per my whim.

Belladonna Bun-cake

A simple little dish for a rainy afternoon.

Cornflour,
    The eggs of a seabird,
    A spoon of Whitecap-fungus,
    The fruit of your choose for sweetening,
    One small measure of the belladonna root.

Prepare as one would a broadloaf, though less time given to the rising. Bake in a well stoked hearth under leaves for one turn of the hourglass.

Notes to myself: Refrain from ever eating this ever again. Exceptionally poisonous. Remember the week on the kitchen floor.

Dradeel's Vegetable Surprise

A dish that turned out surprisingly edible. Not recommended as the primary meal every day for 300 years. Some disorientation may result.

Place 2 cups of virgin Netherese Olive Oil and 1 large chopped onion in a large pot Saute onions in oil over medium fire until the onions begin to become clear. Add 2 chopped carrots and 2 chopped stalks of of celery. Saute for an additional 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Add 2 diced potatoes, 1 cup of white wine (I find that a Myth Rhynnian vintage is perfect), 1 bay leaf, 2 diced potatoes, and chopped parsley to taste.

Cook, covered, over medium-smallish fire until vegetables are almost tender. Add 2 cups of chopped spinach and cook for additional 15 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with grated cheese.

Note: for orcish version, replace all ingredients with turnips.

Curative Ingredients for the Dispelling of Lycanthropy

Mother's family recipe.

Notes: Mother's topical salve is a rather large failure. Research further with the following in mind: The creatures on this isle are unusual beyond their splitting into two factions. There is an odd curse, one that defies traditional remedies (such as the unfortunately dangerous muffins previous), though one is not without hope. The exotic origin of the original stock suggest a unique enchantment, not unlike that of the more widely know vampiric afflictions. The casual bite might be averted using such things as the Belladonna flower, but an intentional infection could actually require the extermination of the leader of the clan. This is merely conjecture of course, as I have been unable to examine said leader. Despite my strange immunity, his is a strength that could inflict a measure of serious damage upon my physical form. He and I have spoken on occasion, though his tolerance of me is no more resilient than mine of his.

Further note to myself: Future offerings of peace to either of the wolven clans should not take the form of muffins of any sort.

The Bachelor's Crutch

Noodles of quality and convenience.

Ingredients:

A measure of noodles.
    Boiling water.
    Container.

Combine ingredients in container. Enjoy. Oh yes, enjoy.

Notes to myself: Should probably be supplimented with something of nutritional value, lest my bones become as brittle as chalk. Perhaps the container?
    Post edited by Corvino on
    elminster
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @Corvino: I make a totally different guacamole. I think it may be something obscured by time and moderate revision so that it no longer resembles guacamole, but I think it tastes good.

Ingredients:
    A little salt

2-3 avocados

About 2 medium cloves of Garlic

A lime

Something spicy, if desired (I usually use fresh peppers on a hit and miss basis, as I have them in a garden. They will either have no effect or make it unbearably spicy, with no visible pattern. I had ghost peppers one year, the 2005 worlds hottest pepper, and they did almost nothing. I then proceed to licked them, to make sure they where spicy. I would not recommend doing thing while doing anything ever. It is extremely painful, and only sugar, bread and milk help. Strait white sugar actually did a lot.)

Open avocados and mash the green bit in a bowl with a fork. Do not eat the brown bit.

Once mashed, add lime as suites your taste. DO NOT use orange juice if you don't have a lime. It may be citrus, but it DOES'NT WORK.

Add the garlic, and salt.

Mix this well, should be smooth and creamy. You may add the spicy bit if you wish, I usually crush peppers in a garlic press. To do this you must leave the seeds in. Just crush the whole pepper. Stir this in as well.
    Now eat it. Please do this. It would make me feel bad if you made it then said, "eww it's green" like some sheltered people I know. This is best done with corn chips or on a tortilla.
    Corvinoelminster
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited October 2013
    Very special cake for special events.

ingredients:

◾1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    ◾ 1 can prepared coconut–pecan frosting
    ◾ 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    ◾ 4 large eggs
    ◾ 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    ◾ 3/4 cup butter or margarine
    ◾ 1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
    ◾ 2 cups all-purpose flour
    ◾ Fish-shaped crackers
    ◾ Fish-shaped candies
    ◾ Fish-shaped solid waste
    ◾ Fish-shaped dirt
    ◾ Fish-shaped ethylbenzene
    ◾ Pull-and-peel licorice
    ◾ Fish-shaped volatile organic compounds and sediment-shaped sediment
    ◾ Candy-coated peanut butter pieces (shaped like fish)
    ◾ 1 cup lemon juice
    ◾ Alpha resins
    ◾ Unsaturated polyester resin
    ◾ Fiberglass surface resins and volatile malted milk impoundments
    ◾ 9 large egg yolks
    ◾ 12 medium geosynthetic membranes
    ◾ 1 cup granulated sugar
    ◾ An entry called: "How to Kill Someone with Your Bare Hands"
    ◾ 2 cups rhubarb, sliced
    ◾ 2/3 cups granulated rhubarb
    ◾ 1 tbsp. all-purpose rhubarb
    ◾ 1 tsp. grated orange rhubarb
    ◾ 3 tbsp. rhubarb, on fire
    ◾ 1 large rhubarb
    ◾ 1 cross borehole electromagnetic imaging rhubarb
    ◾ 2 tbsp. rhubarb juice
    ◾ Adjustable aluminum head positioner
    ◾ Slaughter electric needle injector
    ◾ Cordless electric needle injector
    ◾ Injector needle driver
    ◾ Injector needle gun
    ◾ Cranial caps

Just mix all in a pot and bake :)

elminster
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    This isn't really a recipe but a bi product when ever making shredded chicken for mexican dishes or fried chicken: Stone Soup

1 Whole chicken buchered
    1 large onion chopped
    1-2 large Carrots chopped
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Spring water

After you butcher the chicken place it in a pot of spring water with all the skin and as many of the large bones as you can fit in the pot place on med/high heat.

After the chicken is cooked remove your large cuts, bones, and skin from the pot and throw away what you will not be using for your primary dish. Leave the small cuts of chicken you will not be using in your primary dish in the pot and leave it on simmer. Feel free to shred and add one of your larger cuts for a chunkier soup ,and if you want a more flavorful soup you can choose to leave the bones and skin in till just before veggie prep it may pull out more oils and collagen.

Complete your main dish and after you and your family is done eating cut up some onions and carrots. Place the onions and carrots into your pot then add water to the point it was at with the chicken in it, and put it on med/low until you believe your veggies are done. Flavorsmith with salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste and stick in the fridge for yummy home made soup tomorrow.

Side notes:
    It will take a lot of salt to make it taste properly.

If you wish to add rice or noodles make and add them before serving otherwise they will get a unpleasant texture.

To reheat just put on simmer and hour or two before serving or if you do not have the time bring to a boil and serve.

It only has a shelf life of 2 days so if you have plans take it to your mother... or a friend. I make it with every chicken dish I make so end up giving it away if I made more than one chicken dish in a week.
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    If you guys are lucky I will share some real treats
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2013
    Just cats Nahal's Wild Kitchen and see what happens. Kiddin'! :P
    I know how to grab the phone, type the pizza delivery number and say: "I want a pizza please? Only cheese (yes, I've never played without cheating "hey!") and then my home's direction -> DONE!!!! You have a pizza and you've only raised the phone.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2013
    olive oil to cover the bottom of a sautee pan
    pinch red pepper flakes to taste
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 large white onion, diced...
    1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
    6 slices prosciutto, diced
    handful of pasta (enough for 2 ppls)
    parmesan/romano, finely grated
    2 sprigs of fresh cilantro

measurements for this recipe were a little difficult for me to determine, as i tend to eyeball the dish when making it & no longer use exact measurements...

put olive oil into pan, add pinch of red pepper flakes and garlic...turn burner on to low/medium...heat olive oil until garlic begins to sizzle...
    add onion and sauté until it becomes chalky/transluscent...add mushrooms until they are cooked...

in a separate pot, as you are sautéing garlic, etc, bring water to a boil and cook pasta til firmness desired...drain, cool, and set aside...i usually use rotini or some other pasta that will hold the olive oil & other ingredients...

add prosciutto to onions and mushrooms and heat, stirring frequently...cook til hot...
    turn burner off...
    add pasta to onion/shroom/prosciutto mix...and toss until olive oil & such cover the pasta completely...
    put on plates (2 of them, probably, unless you're really hungry)...
    top w/ grated parmesan/romano & a sprig of fresh cilantro...
    simple, easy, & yummy
    elminster
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Baconweaved Chicken Breasts with cheese.

Ingredients: Chicken, Bacon Strips, Cheese

Step 1: Season raw chicken breast with garlic, basil, ground pepper and onion powder.
    Step 2: Weave bacon strips in an interlocking fashion. 4 going horizontally and 4 vertically (amount of bacon varies with size of chicken breast)
    Step 4: Place chicken breast on top of bacon weave and then place a thinly sliced or shredded cheese on top of chicken.
    Step 5: Fold the bacon weave over top of the chicken as if you are wrapping a gift.
    Step 5a: (optional) Top with hot sauce, garlic powder and parmesan cheese
    Step 6: Place chicken ontop of a grill over a drip pan and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit
    Step 7: Remove from oven and serve. Take dip tray and allow to cool to room temp to thicken grease.
    Step 8: Run marathon to burn off calories devoured.

Bacon Grill Cheese

Ingredients: Bread, Bacon Grease, Cheese, Bacon, Condiments

Step 1: Preheat frying pan on medium high setting.
    Step 2: Butter 2 slices of bread with Bacon Grease on the outside.
    Step 3: Place atleast 2 types of cheese (shredded or sliced) in between bread
    Step 4: (Optional) also place more cooked bacon, tomato slices, or choice of protien in between bread before grilling
    Step 4: Sear each side in pan until golden brown
    Step 5: Serve with your choice of condiment (Ketchup, BBQ, Hot Sauce, Ranch Dressing)
    Step 6: Run 2 marathons to burn off calories devoured.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited November 2013
    A-ha...

Poor man's Electro-magnetics +2

-Some thyme
    -Some cumin
    -Some olive oil
    -2 eggs

Make an omellete mix in a bowl , put thyme and cumin in it at a good ratio , but try not to make it over dusty and mix it good. Pour good olive oil in the pan , again try not to make it so much more than you would eat. Heat the olive oil in a pan , and when you think is suitable pour the mix in it , let it float. Shut the top of the pan with a cover ; glass preferred so you can see inside. Now , if you are hungry , you would not ask for any directions here... :) There you go... Eat that , and top the grades in the Electromagnetics Theory Mid-Term Exam!

PM me if anyone tries it. I have more wisdom about quick recipes from my undergrad days :)
    CrevsDaak