Skip to content

Poetic Parties (a discussion for those intense RPers)

What party compositions are you proud of from an RP point of view? Moreover, are your party compositions considered from a sensitive RP perspective with every new character on each new playthrough? Personally, I do not allow myself to be troubled too much by continuity between BG1 & BG2: my protagonist might have met Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen in the city of Baldur's Gate before s/he was jumped by Irenicus long after defeating the final opponent presented in BG1.
I have only recently acquired BG:EE and have only played through once, however I thought I would share the process of thought I went through to arrive at the party that I did by the time I had reached the great city of Baldur's Gate.

My protagonist: A Chaotic Neutral Sorcerer, curious about his past but unable to take any solace in Gorion's dismissal of the topic. He is quiet, contemplative, and eternally unsure of who he is and what lies in his past, as well as beyond the high-rising walls of Candlekeep. As he ventures out into the world, he is left to struggle with his conscience in the wake of his benevolent ward's death versus his base determination to survive - his trust only in the power of his magic, and his underlying feeling of indifference to an upbringing based on ignorance, which has made it no easier to struggle with growing feelings of bitterness towards the unexpected hardships of the present that have been thrust upon him.

Jahiera: Confident, capable and opinionated, Jaheira's presence allows the protagonist to content himself with the belief that he has not entirely shed his past, nor Gorion. He feels glad to have the company of somebody who has a strong sense of self-worth and self-assurance, much in contrast to his own feelings, and is more than happy to have someone else fill the role of outspoken leader while he retreats to contemplation and his own internal doubts.

Dorn: Powerful, strong, and bitter, Dorn represents the darker side of the protagonist, who keeps the half-orc close not only because he is a terrific fighter, but also due to his permeating aura of male strength and admirable instinct for survival. Dorn caters to the protagonist's darker self-reflections, providing evidence and reminder of a person's responsibility to themselves before all others: a principle that the protagonist feels is especially poignant now that he is being hunted wherever he goes, and one that reassures him in the moments where he sheds the moral teachings of Gorion in favour of a more self-serving course of action.

Dynaheir: The protagonist knows the value of the arcane by instinct, and appreciates the company of one who is as equally appreciative, as well as exceptionally knowledgeable. Like Jaheira, and Dorn, Dynaheir also has a strong moral compass, but - like the protagonist - she seems to distill everything silently in her mind, saying only the things that she finds are necessary, or worthwhile to utter. The protagonist can look to Dynaheir as something akin to a mother, yet takes solace in her aloof need for privacy, and her appreciation that the protagonist needs the same privacy from time to time.

Coran: A light-hearted man of the road, Coran is a simple man of simple needs who evidently does not think too heavily upon their position in the world around them, nor their impact. He is a breath of fresh air for the protagonist, deeply burdened and conflicted between his identities - past and present - as well as his opposing obligations to do the right thing, and to trust and look out only for himself, for everyone seems to want his head, while all he wants are answers. Coran does not pry into the protagonists thoughts, nor force him to make any decisions - he seems content to let the protagonist be who he will be, knowing that everybody makes mistakes and that a pat on the back and a supporting swordarm can be much more comfort that intrusive philosophies when one lives a life on the road.

Imoen: The protagonist, ever-burdened by his obligation to his upbringing, takes Imoen with him in his quest for a long time. Her cheerful nature is at times reassuring, and at times exhausting, for it is one that he cannot relate to despite being raised under such similar circumstances to the girl. As the quest presses on, he decides for Imoen's sake to release her from his company, telling himself that the ever-darkening road ahead will only burden her, yet in reality is he just trying to loosen the ties that his life in Candlekeep has raised upon him?

Alora: Maybe out of guilt, or perhaps just because of her competence, Alora was accepted into the protagonist's company soon after Imoen's departure. Like Coran, she insists on nothing, and from time to time is actually able to rouse the protagonist from his thoughts, which grow deeper and darker with each dream and each disaster. Her innocence is a comfort, and unlike Imoen, she does not remind the protagonist of a past that he grows more and more disillusioned with as his quest progressed.

The game finished with, CN Sorcerer, Jaheira, Dorn, Dynaheir, Coran & Alora.
Which playthroughs of BG resonated particularly well with you as a RPer? Do share!

Comments

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    A good thread! My turn!

Space saver~
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Great posts, I love your imagination and the thought, love and effort you put into your characters and games.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    It's amazing to me how much character depth is implied for the BG1 NPC's by just a few well-acted lines each. Good job on the roleplaying profiles. I'd love to read more of these.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    You have great writing!
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Nice topic!
    My current playthrough:

--My protagonist: A Neutral good elven stalker called Illian. Being raised in the secluded monastary, Illian was always interested in the wildlife outside the walls and went outside as often as he could as this was his main escape from dreary monks - whom he loved but found confining. In the woods outside Candlekeep Illian was instructed in hunting and fighting by the guards whom he accompanied, through this he found great worth in wildlife and a responsible usage of it. Here he also mastered the use of the longbow, and became a excellent shot, not standing back from any elven woodsman.

However, both the monks and Gorion instructed Illian with philosophy and debate, which Illian mused on and found deeply interesting, especially ethical dilemmas and the merits of acting beneficial. Hence, Illian is guided by a near-zealous belief in doing the right thing, though he is far more questing and critical as to what might actually be "right" than what a paladin might be.

After Gorion's death and the attempts at his life Illian has also come to know rage and complex emotions. This crisis Illian has attempted to channel into battle. This is somewhat reflected in his choice to master the greatsword after beginning his travels, a somewhat unusual weapon for an elven ranger. Illian has also found that he is unable to feel safe in heavy armor which many of his friends use, since he requires is ability to move fast and to hide, and feels he would be anuable to do so in heavy armor - he is somewhat afraid that he is developing a skittishness and attempts to work in himself to bolster his nerve and refrain from loosing heart in battle, despite his lack of direct protection.

Though prone to brooding and contemplation, Illian is still extrovert and enjoys sharing both problems and good times with friends.

--Imoen, a childhood friend who was instrumental in keeping Illian together through his emotional crisis. Imoen shares Illian's understanding of the world and the merit's of acting by your concious. However, she has a far shallower interest in these questions than Illian does - this is both a blessing and a curse to Illian who admires her light-heartedness, but he has also begun to understand the depth of the evil he is fighting and the horrors they have already encountered. As they are nearing the big city for the first time, Illian is contemplating to let Imoen discover Baldur's Gate for herself for a while in order to spare her - and to avoid bringing her into dangerous situations. Illian is perfectly aware that he is patronizing his friend, but would still spare her for his own sake.

--Jaheira, another vital part in Illian's coping with crisis. Her straight-forwardness and frankness is refreshing to Illian who has enjoyed debating with her, and especially about the merits of keeping the wilds. Illian is a somewhat stronger believer in teh utilization nature, through travelling, and industry - in a responsible way. While Jaheira is somewhat more restrictive. Jaheira herself experienced crisis when her husband Kahlid was killed after a few days of travelling with the party as the party was attacked by wolves during a night in the wilds. She doesnt much talk about this loss, which is hard to understand for Illian who has a deep need to talk about his loss and openly debate the implications of the killers who have been chasing them.

As the group entered Cloakwood mines Jaheira elected to stay behind and, seeing how Yeslick was just as adapt at healing as she was, and help the miners - when the party reemerged Jaheira announced her will to stay in the woods and see what she could do about the spider corruption and limiting the damaging presence of the shadow druids. Illian also suspects she needed some time for herself in order to overcome her sorrow of Gorion and Kahlid's passing.

--Kivan, quickly became Illian's most important friend. Although Kivan is far more sullen and dour than himself, Illian is comforted both by his stoic calm and his cold blooded rage in battle, as well as his inherently good heart. Illian disagrees with Kivan's quick judgement however, and sees it to be important to point out and denounce Kivan's prejudices. They both share a love for wildlife, and through Kivan's mentoring Illian's natural ability to sneak unseen in any circumstances has increased to make him a master at moving in shadows.

--Xan. As he was rescued from Mulahey, Xan also quickly became a fast friend of Illian. Despite his attempt at doomsday realisms, Illian still finds Xan's friendship to be comforting and heartfelt. Illian finds his succinct comments a boon to any discussion, and his powerful understanding of magic has been essential for the party's survival. Illian is not sure whether Xan's gloomyness is ironic or a result of an inability to take the uncomfortable step of coping with the harshness of reality - he suspects a little of both. His gloomy outlook on life even makes Kivan smile sometimes.

--Garrick. The naivety and light heartedness of Garrick is a great bolster to the group, and also a good source of mirth. Garrick's weird habit of singing silly songs about knights during pitch battles has been a dearly needed component in the group dynamic. Easy-going and dramatic all at once.

--Yeslick. Just joined the party as they cleaned out the Cloakwood mines. The stout dwarf was primarily driven by a need for revenge, but as they travel through the Cloakwoods on their way to Baldur's Gate, Illian has found him to be a typical frank and straight-to-the-point dwarf. Both in conversation and in battle - Illian has no doubt that this is a very loyal friend, a thing which he does not take lightly and therefore attempts to honor at most times. Yeslick's fearless charge into battle is also something Illian finds inspiring, and something which he tries to emulate in his mind before battle and other dangerous situations.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    That's the biggest post I've ever made - you guys better read it! X)
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited October 2013
    One of the things I find interesting about this thread are the different viewpoints different characters bring to how they see the NPCs. Sometimes this reflects the author's view, but lest we fall too far into that trap, let me give full disclosure by saying that Veraka Cursebringer started life with 18 Intelligence, 18 Charisma... and 4 Wisdom. Her views are not my views, but I'm sure you all knew that. Over the course of BG:EE she did manage to raise that to a whopping 7 Wisdom, but Veraka's judgment is sometimes... questionable. She's impressionable and impulsive. Unfortunately, she can debate her choices intelligently and eloquently if you try to call her on it, even if her argument is fallacious sophistry.

Seeing the same NPCs through the lens of a different character's viewpoint has me coming back to this thread... that and reading about how other people like to roleplay their characters. ^_^

EDIT: Thank you all for the compliments, by the way (if any were intended for me). Encouragement is always nice.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Not to toot my own horn, but I'm going to toot my own horn here. If you all enjoyed reading about Veraka in this thread, I am experimenting with epic verse on a thread in fan creations: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22604/veraka-s-saga#latest

It's not highly polished yet, I'm mostly practicing for fun. See if you like it though, I'm trying to capture the style of an epic poem if not quite the same tone or content.