Skip to content

Please put Green filter back, at least as an option!

VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
932a: Green filter has been disabled for known spells while we figure out exactly how it should work; "Write Magic" button is now hidden if the spell cannot be written, unless "All Learned Spell Info" is set to 1 in baldur.ini

Well, I know I was one of the "voices" to change it but I really got used to it! Please, @Dee (person reporting such fix) put it back! Make a 932b or something, at least for the time being, make it optional but disabling it completely is a little harsh... Even though the green may not be the best, it is still VERY relevant (aka Enhanced Edition!) to the game!

For me, at least, it is a great boost against time wasting/gp wasting/go in and out of shop just to check if I have the spell...

Note: You can put it as an option in the ini file or as a WEIDU mod (semi official or not!) if needs be! But I (and I hope I'm not the only one!) would like it back VERY VEY much! Until you are able to figure out exactly how it should work, at least! Please, Deebi One Kenobi, you're our only hope! (well, maybe not but even so...!).

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We don't want to put a feature in that isn't fully developed, and this feature isn't fully developed. The feedback we're getting is great; we just need to consolidate it and find a solution that makes everyone happy. So if you want to see it implemented, get everyone to agree on what it should be. :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Well I'm sad to see that thing gone. Maybe it could possible to somehow implement it for stores at least?

Also I kinda doubtful that people will ever agree about the design. The developers just need to choose the one they thing is the best one, and stick with it. For many people the usual first reaction to any kind of change is resistance. If you give them some time to get used to the change a change of mind might happen, like it did for Vortaka.
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    @Dee: No no... That's not how company works! :)

I do agree with Messi that you will NEVER have 100% agreement (even 75% is improbable)... As an on/off option, it would be great since people who don't want it, don't see it; and those who do, well, do see it! If you want the most votes, I think the upper right small check mark (when the spell is in your book already) is one of the most popular/respected... However, understand that this is for wizards... maybe not sorcerers...

Note: If you work (or can work) with "tags" like in NearInfinity (or something like that), you can easily mark the difference between sorcerers, bards, paladins and wizards...
    Ugh... So I started the game to continue my beta playthrough and after opening Edwin's inventory I really, really, reaaaaaaaaally started to miss this feature already. :/

Just yesterday I could have easily recognized the spells I wanted to scribe, but not anymore...

Yeah, that's my problem too! Welcome to the club! :(
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I think a much cleaner take on it was that only the background is colored, and not the scroll itself. Makes it look a lot better.

Also only colored if you can write it.
    edited October 2013
    @Avenger_teambg: If the code isn't in the exe file (or dll) but in a script file (bcs) or anything like that, it might be cool for the community to know (myself included!) cause I'm sure modders might have good ideas to test! (And then screenshots, and then implementation!) :) I want it back badly! Snif snif! :)

Edited: Personally, I don't mind the overlay (at all)! I just want them to be... different! :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sed said:

I think a much cleaner take on it was that only the background is colored, and not the scroll itself. Makes it look a lot better.

This would be vastly different from how overlays work everywhere else in the game. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but that's a bit more complicated than just changing the color.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I agree that the green should be shown only if you can write the scroll.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2013
    I think a little golden checkmark would be terrific. It reads easely, is elegant and wont clutter the graphics, and is also consistent with the golden quanitity index at the bottom of the icons. Overlays should imo be reserved as 'wrapping' for unidentified items to avoid confusion.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    No matter what you pick, only mark scrolls you can scribe, not ones you have scribed.

I'd love to see just a little feather/quill icon in the corner myself.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    I really liked more of a dark purple colour that was one of your proposals Vortaka. Yea I know its no good for colour blind folks, but I just liked it :)

Its not as in your face as a lime green colour and it doesn't really clash much with the blue. Also I'm not certain symbols are the best way to go for tablet users. I haven't played the game on tablet but I can imagine intricate corner images (proposed on another thread) might be difficult to see.

I think for the time being its best to keep it out and to work on it.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited October 2013
    I dont think an icon/symbol would be any harder to read than the number currently on them.

But if you have to go a color, the purple is alot better than that green. Since the number seems to be a font, another simple option might just be to put an asterick next to the number? (i.e. *1)
    edited October 2013
    @elminster: You have a good point too... (Another different point, but good!). That is why I NOTE, *again*, that if it's possible to mod, having the name of the file(s) to do so would be invaluable! I mean, a modder (or even a tweaker like me) could create a WeiDU mod with a couple of color choices (and maybe even graphic choices). And maybe even the choice to make the icon visible when you don't know a spell or when you know it! THAT would give the power to the gamer!
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    I want the spells you can write, but don't know, to be colored. I don't really care what color, but some quick way to identify spells you haven't learned yet is invaluable.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    My vote is put it back in any form (even optionally). This feature is sorely missed already.

That said, my personal preference is the small golden checkmark in the upper right or left corner for written spells that someone posted in another thread.
  • raerae Member Posts: 35
    Put a checkbox on options "colored known spells".
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581

Originally it was green, and showed green for all known spells.
    I think, the green (or some other color) should be shown only if you can write the scroll.
    The code is easily modified to any color/switch. We just need a consensus about this.

@Avenger_teambg Why color all scribed scrolls, rather than unscribed (but learn-able) scrolls? If all scribed scrolls are colored, the mid to late game magic user's inventory is going to look like a hot mess. I think there is more utility in drawing the eye towards what could be learned, but isn't currently, rather than what is.

@elminster I like that purple also, but in-game won't the filter be applied to the spell scroll as well as the background slot? I think it will look worse in practice but that's true of any colored slot.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Dee Did I see someone (you?) mention earlier that it could still be turned on by editing the ini file?
    @Dee: Thank you! :) Now, seems I'm waiting for it to be back then! (Yippi!)
    @Basillicum: I think the "on" thing in the ini file was (older beta) concerning the write magic button being insivible instead of greyed-out when the spell wasn't writtable...
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    So glad this is coming back. Just started a new run to test the final 90 quests with a f/m and managing scrolls is already a hassle.
  • jpersinnejpersinne Member Posts: 23
    It would be sort of neat to have as a (perhaps hidden, and unsupported) ini option in the meantime.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    He said "IF"... I'm quite sure he didn't promise anything.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Okay. So glad this has a possibility of coming back.
    @Basillicun: Well, the best way to make an "IF" turn 1 (or true), instead of a 0 (or false), is to support it I guess!
    And so, myself, and my 3 PC's fully support it! Go 932b or 932c go! :)
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2013
    This was a brilliant tweak. It makes shopping for spells so much smoother. I think everyone agrees on the `mark spells you can write', and I think the mark used doesn't matter that much, as long as the scrolls remain easy to identify.

I really don't see why anyone would want to turn this off, to be honest. It pretty much signals an action you'll usually want to take immediately (i.e. scribe the spell), after which you won't see the mark on that scroll ever again.
    Please, just bring the same green thingy back, but only for spells you can scribe this time. I honestly think Overhaul overreacted to the feedback. I don't remember anyone not liking the feature per say, just the maybe not liking the color, or the fact it was set for spells you had already had in your spellbook.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    I remember a few visual clutter arguments, but I really don't think those are valid anymore if the functionality is changed to show when you can scribe.

As for deciding which color/mark/whatever, that's something Beamdog needs to decide and tweak; there is never going to be a consensus on a favorite color, but it would be really silly to have that hold back such an amazing enhancement.