Skip to content

Anyone have trouble breaking up with companions? (spoilers abound)

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
So, I am currently playing a run through of BG:EE on the darker side. I left candlekeep and picked up Imoen, Xzar and Monty and jauntily headed north. I then picked up Viccy and turned around to head south. Now I am in Nashkal, having picked up Kagain in Beregost and I hit my first dilemma. I had to dump Imoen to make room for Dorn. Ok, so I got over that one. Now I have to dump Xzar and Monty to make room for Edwin (who will eventually be replaced by Baeloth) and Shar-Teel. Only I am finding it exceedingly hard to kick folks out.

Anyone else have trouble 'Breaking up' with npc companions?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Definitely. There are a lot of companions I like, some of which join the party later on, so it's not always an easy choice.

I also try to RP the comings and goings of characters. For example I tend to join up with Xzar and Montaron when I meet them as at that point I'll take all the help I can get. As a good-aligned character I'll soon realize I don't like them at all, but still feel somewhat obligated to investigate the Nashkel mines with them as I agreed to do so. We generally part ways shortly afterwards.

On occasion if I really want them gone before Nashkel I can for instance RP it as Montaron killing and robbing a civilian (usually Joia with the flamedance ring as she doesn't give a reputation penalty) and then promptly kick them out due to "irreconcilable differences".
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LOL. that's the same way I am. When I dumped Imoen, I had to do it in the Inn in Nashkal. I couldn't bring myself to drop her off at some random corner. I had to find a nice place for her to stay. And when she got jilted and came on with the whole guilt trip, I felt so bad. I mean she is my sister and all.

The thing with Monty is that, in EE, he spends a lot of time quoting Alice in Wonderland and I like that a lot. Did he do that in vanilla? I don't remember. Anyway, I want to keep them all. But I also want to do Dorn's, Edwin's and Baeloth's quests and have them as companions as well. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
  • I have a really hard time "dumping" Imoen in either game, which means I rarely end up using any of the other thief NPCs in BG1, and have to watch out that I don't get overloaded on mages in BG2.

In BG1, it's just really hard for me to justify not taking her from a roleplaying standpoint. You've just lost your foster father, and you're going to ditch your only family left in the world (that you know of) and wander into the wilderness alone? (From a mechanics standpoint, it's also hard to pass up an opportunity to shape a thief's skills from level 1...)

In BG2 it's even harder. "Hey, I know you've just been mentally tortured and stripped of your soul, but I can't possibly have more than five people following me around at once and Nalia and I still haven't finished our debate on the merits of revolution vs. gradual social change. Think you can find your own way out of this crazy madness dungeon and back to the mainland?"
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Same here. I don't mind ditching other companions, but I can't bring myself to leave Imoen behind in either game. I'll happily do all sorts of evil deeds: rob people, backstab innocents, "accidentally" get Khalid petrified... anything as long as it doesn't involve her. Maybe it's because I have a little sister myself. I wonder how people who don't have siblings view her?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Imoen is a delusion of your fevered mind, nothing more.

In BG2 she's probably a doppleganger, like that Jaheira and Minsc, who I distinctly remember killing myself.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    But what about other NPCs? I am having the problem with everyone I intend to use and throw away. I feel like such a college guy.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

But what about other NPCs? I am having the problem with everyone I intend to use and throw away. I feel like such a college guy.

Play a permadeath game or rotate through them.
    Do Edwin's quest while Monty and Xzar gather information in Nashkel. Once the witch is dead, drop edwin, and repick up M&X.
    Do the same with Dorn and Shar-tel. Do Dorn's quest and then go and pick up Shar-tel. Or leave Kagain behind.
  • I once tried to introduce Baldur's Gate 2 to a couple of friends, who almost immediately complained about how whiny Imoen is; coincidentally, they both have older sisters.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I understand your dilemma, I used to always play with the same NPCs all of the time and had a really really hard time changing that. What helped me get over it was playing a no NPC resurrection game, meaning once one died, I didn't resurrect them, I replaced them (could reload on PC death if needed but not for NPC death). This helped me get over some longtime attachments, ESPECIALLY to Imoen who I had never gone through BG without.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Heh, I've heard people say she's whiny but I don't understand it myself. Maybe I'm used to it having grown up with it.

I think people who play Baldur's Gate 2 first probably don't the same emotional investment as well. The opening is just yet more backstory if you're not coming from the previous game, but when I played it was like "oh no, what happened to everyone!?" Imoen was also the only character in that dungeon that I took on a regular basis in the first game. I booted Jaheira most of the time in BG1 for being annoying and Minsc took a back seat because of Edwin.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Imoen is the only one I have trouble dropping. Reason being that she grew up with you , and left Candlekeep to adventure with you. How can I justify getting rid of her just because Safana is sexier? I struggle with Imoen every BGEE game I play.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    There are two setups my Blackguard has used so far, and they are both very hard to choose between.

Dorn
    Kagain
    Safana
    Edwin
    Viconia

Dorn
    Kagain
    Montaron
    Xzar
    Viconia

Not including Shar-Teel in either group was painful in and of itself.
    The lack of Shar-Teel is most displeasing to me.

Btw, since you seem to have done it twice, how well do Blackguards work together?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Haha, I love that everybody is so remorseful about kicking Imoen out, yet everybody seems to want to get rid of her all the same! :P

I'm not dissimilar. Whenever I get rid of my NPCs, I always make sure it is at a civilized location (Nashkel, Friendly Arm etc.), none of this "alright, see ya Branwen, we're gonna take Faldorn along for this one: you can find your way back out of Cloakwood and survive potentially getting waylaid by 2 wyverns, can'tya?" crap.

BG2 makes the whole thing a lot harder. Specifically with Jaheira. It's so hard to get rid of her!! I always want to do as much of her sidequest as possible because it is so interesting and well-written, yet after I do it, I'm like "how can I justify letting her go now?!". She is easily the most artfully written NPC in.. perhaps the history of RPG, as far as I can recall.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Abso-freaking-lutely. There are some I hate who, if I let in my party, I don't mind kicking out. But generally, if I want to kick someone out, I send them inside a house, up the stairs, and then remove them so I don't have to get the heart-breaking dialogue.
  • Just drop them at the Friendly Arm Inn where they will live. Standing.

Forever.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    It depends on who my PC is. My CN jester has a great capacity for callousness, so she can do things like boot Imoen once she reaches Alora, or send Montaron to his death, or let Dynaheir get slaughtered by xvarts attacking in the night.

My good characters can only justify getting rid of Imoen by feeling responsible for her safety and valuing that above her wishes. Sometimes it just isn't a good enough reason and I sigh and take her along.

Whenever I'm about to kick someone out of the party though, I mentally brace myself just a little for the dialogue I know is coming. Some of them get downright endearing when you kick them out, Xan manages to put a wistfully positive spin on your adventures together for instance. Those are the worst, it goes something like "Hey, I understand, there's no hard feelings. We sure had some wonderful times together though, didn't we? Too bad it has to end, but if you ever change your mind I want you to know I've still got your back." Damn you, guiltmongers!

My evil characters are generally pretty heartless and mercenary about the whole affair. The lucky ones live, and the REALLY lucky ones still have some equipment left when they leave.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I'm joining the heartbroken-for-dropping-Imoen club. In Spellhold anyway, not very much so after the BG1 opening ambush.

I also feel pretty bad when I don't let Nalia join the party. I should consequently feel the same about Aerie, but I don't. I suppose it's partly because Aerie makes less of a scene about it.

I feel wonderful - it should be a once-per-run-ceremony - every time I turn down Anomen or Jaheira!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I just had to fight with myself on dumping Neera. She's just so fitting to pal around with my mage/thief. As chaotic neutral myself this game, I figured it would be fitting for me to dump her after she got all huffy after I helped her get to Adoy, and she didn't even thank me. I decided I'd rather bring Xzar and Monty. I had been running just a 5 person party, planning to pick up Eldoth, but have trouble making room for Skie. As much as I love her dialogue, and Eldoth's quest to ransom her, she's just so useless. I've gotten through Durlag's Tower with her as my only thief, but it was a pain.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited October 2013
    First runthrough, I was SO SURE that Neera and Imoen were gonna be BFFs. Then I finished Neera's personal quest, and she was all passive agressive about it, so I was like **** you, I'm getting Baeloth.

My CN Gnome has no problem taking her as part of the all-EE (plus Safana) team, however.

Anyway, it depends how I feel about the character. I often leave Jaheira in Irenicus' dungeon. But even my evil characters sometimes take Imoen to the point of killing Bodhi.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Once I get my 6 person squad set up (and they are of a similar nature as PC) I tend to never replace anyone. There are a number of late game NPCs I have never had in my party. I feel like I should save some room, but I never do.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Kaigen said:

I have a really hard time "dumping" Imoen in either game. [...]
    In BG1, it's just really hard for me to justify not taking her from a roleplaying standpoint. You've just lost your foster father, and you're going to ditch your only family left in the world (that you know of) and wander into the wilderness alone?

Actually, in BG1 you don't know Imoen's family - that revelation comes in the middle of game 2. (Unless you read her bio before she got kidnapped - then you know from the start of game 2).
    As for roleplaying booting her - well. Just because you've known someone your whole life, it doesn't automatically mean you like that someone. My current PC never really liked her and her insentience that it was wrong leave dead rats in people's beds and burn Winthrop's accountant books to cover up some money 'mysteriously missing' from the strongbox. He also finds her clinging annoying, and he was looking forward to leaving Candlekeep, because that meant he'd never have to see or hear her again. He was rightly pissed when she followed him anyway, and as soon as he met Xzar and Montaron he tricked her into going to FAI. "Here, little one, take this letter and go meet Gorion's friends, let them know what's up, and I'll meet with you there in a couple days, honest". }:D

That said, I did to feel very guilty every time I kicked someone out of the party. I got better at this over the years, though, and now I have quite a bit of fun making up stories of why THEY leave ME. (Sometimes, of course, they DO get up and leave on their own - often at the most inopportune moments. You quickly learn to hate those tiny sidequests that unexpectedly dump a reputation points at you, causing your cleric to leave... ;P )
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Also, just because you grew up with someone doesn't mean they can help you survive in the wilderness or that they'll be useful in a fight. Nor does it mean you want to expose them to the dangers of the road after meeting two assassins plus Sarevok's group!

@DrHappyAngry You could always just kill Skie or force her into a house and upstairs and then kick her out.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In bg1 it felt good to kill that arrogant b**** that is jahiera. Then in bg2 I was going to take Vicky, and she started crying and stuff, and I caved in and reloaded. Of course I could never go to the government district again, because then Minsc got all mad when I set Vicky out on her own. They really fixed up jaheiras personality in bg2.

Valyagar the emotionless was let go in ToB for Serevok because he had the least reaction, and then I remembered I forgot to take his stuff and I murdered him on the spot. Now there's this dead body in my pocket plane that makes me feel bad every time I look at it, and it never goes away.
    rdarken said:

Also, just because you grew up with someone doesn't mean they can help you survive in the wilderness or that they'll be useful in a fight. Nor does it mean you want to expose them to the dangers of the road after meeting two assassins plus Sarevok's group!

@DrHappyAngry You could always just kill Skie or force her into a house and upstairs and then kick her out.

In my latest playthrough Skie got exploded by the Falming Fist. It wasn't even intentional. I just walked outside into a bunch of enforcers because my rep was at 2 and suddenly she was dead.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Anyone else have trouble 'Breaking up' with npc companions?

Moreso in BG2 than in BG1. By the time that I escape from Irenicus' dungeon, I feel that I've formed a bond with the other escapees - Jaheira who has lost her husband, Minsc who has lost his witch, my BFF Imoen (who will also turn out to be my sibling, and absolutely crucial to the plot), and Yoshimo who helps us escape (and will also be crucial to the plot). Although I lose Imoen shortly after that, I quickly fall for Aerie and her desperate pleas for help - and once Aerie becomes Minsc's new witch, how could I possibly separate them? Then I meet Nalia and after enduring her quest together, which ends with the death of her father, how could I be so callous as to kick her out of the party? So now I've only explored a couple of areas and already I have a party composition that I feel I'm stuck with.

Ultimately I usually bite the bullet and swap Minsc out of the party for others like Anomen or Valygar (sometimes just temporarily until I've completed their associated quests), but the others I typically have too much trouble letting go of.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    edited October 2013
    I have trouble breaking up with some companions. Dorn for example, he practically sulks.

On the other hand I have no trouble breaking up some companions. Khalid breaks up spectacularly when his unhelmeted head meets the thick end of an ogre's club.
    edited October 2013
    onan said:

I have trouble breaking up with some companions. Dorn for example, he practically sulks.

On the other hand I have no trouble breaking up some companions. Khalid breaks up spectacularly when his unhelmeted head meets the thick end of an ogre's club.

Its because Dorn just wants some friends with whom he can love, relax, and murder peasants. By throwing him out you're trampling on his dream.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    rdarken said:

Oh, I know. I just have trouble kicking her out once I get her ;)

Her bitchy noble dialog just makes me giggle every time I click on her. "My feet hurt." "I have a cold."

I went with Xzar and Monty this time, since they're just an amusing couple, and monty could handle the traps for me.

Minsc is another that I have trouble dumping once I get him. His addled speech and hamster references are always good for a laugh.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    On my latest BG2 run through I had Jan with me and ditched him for Imoen, as much as I like my little sister I - as a player - find Jan waaay more entertaining but I just can justify my goodie goodie bard ditching her little sis again at get him back. Maybe I'll just ditch Valygar, but then Valygar's stealth feat is currently far better than either Imoen or Jan's Hide in Shadows. And then there's the whole matter of Jaheira, I think maybe I need to play more evil aligned male protagonists because otherwise she just ends up as my PC's mother figure, I got rid of her in favour of Valygar to do his quest and didn't pick her up again but I still feel guilty.