Skip to content

Release Date is a bit Troubling

2»

Comments

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I have bought borderlands 2, BGEE and GW2. I have no idea how I will spread my time, but I know that BGEE and GW2 are things that I can always come back to.
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    edited July 2012
    Like others said, target audiences aren't necessarily the same. But I think being released on tablet/iPad put BGEE on a different level. Hence it can coexist with major releases like GW2.

And BG is long, you can play it several times, it will have (again) a long life. Especially if they keep on adding content or mods. In this view, release date is not significant...
    Post edited by oldsch00l on
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Lediath Your just trying to scare the developers in to releasing it early arnt you ;) lol only kidding
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    although the release date cannot come soon enough, i think developers should take the time needed to perfect the game (and respect the release date!).

because what does it matter if it gets released tomorrow or in two months? at first i was unreasonably stoked about the release ( i found about it today), but now it see it with a sense of dread, because i know it will consume all of my time, and i am helpless to stop it...
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    edited July 2012
    byrne20 said:

@Lediath Your just trying to scare the developers in to releasing it early arnt you ;) lol only kidding

ROFL oh god, if only I had that power

Post edited by Lediath on
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    i dont think it will be too big a deal, simply because i doubt BGEE will be such a big deal. now dont get me wrong, im really looking forward to it and all, but i think the target group for BGEE should primarily be the already installed fanbase, and general pnp or d&d fans. to people who dont really care about BG, seeing an ad for it would be like seeing an ad for, i dunno, one of the million other games of that time.
    generally i think people on this forum are vastly overestimating the impact BGEE will have, the game has been out for 14 years, and if people wanted it, they would have bought it already

my point is, the game wont be setting any records, and it wont be selling on its looks, even without those other games releasing at that time, it is still too unfamiliar to most people for them to buy it, however good or much of a classic it is. the way i see it, BGEE is a stepping stone for overhaul games to show that "they are willing and capable", then once they get some goodwill, they will be much MUCH better set to announce BG3, or ANYTHING along those lines, or most other lines for that matter. small steps.

what i DO think will happen is, it will get pretty good publicity, most installed fans will buy it (not all), a few new players will buy it, and either like it or dont really care. BG2EE, more hype within the fanbase, less without. Then when (if) its time for BG3, the publicity from the BG rereleases will make people more readily able to accept that BG3 might be for them, and as a result, LOTS and lots of publicity, and likely sales; how well the game will actually do is impossible to say. i daresay BG3 is the release that should be worrying about other simultaneous releases, NOT BGEE or BG2EE.

oh well im rambling now, my main point is, baldurs gate is a 14 years old game, and its being sold at the same price as, for example, torchlight 2; its a niche game that is more of a statement than much else.

for the record, BG is my favorite game of all time, and im looking forward to the rerelease like a little baby :D
  • kraedkraed Member Posts: 60
    I would have said Torchlight 2 is the obvious competition, rather than those other games that don't seem hugely similar. Torchlight 2 is also $20 and features a similar sort of isometric style to the game. It's hard to compare $60 shooters and mmos with monthly subscription fees to this. However T2 focuses on single character direct action whereas BG is more about party oriented tactical play. During the middle of summer would definitely have been a nice time to release since summer is pretty much dead for gaming, but there's also a good reason for the multiple releases in this small window at the end of the year: the market has proven year after year that games just sell better at this time of year, regardless of what the game is or the competition.

Also the game really should just be released 'when it's done. If it's done in september then that's a good time for release. Even if summer would be a less competitive place to release it would be far better to release against competition than wait another year without any revenue.
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    I doubt that BG:EE will have much (if at all) impact on attracting new players to the game. Expectations have changed greatly between generations. Keeping the old fan base is a priority.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Won't be buying those 3 games in September thats for sure!
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    kraed said:

Also the game really should just be released 'when it's done. If it's done in september then that's a good time for release.

I really wish this were the only thing that dictated whether a game was release or not. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that "when it's done" is NOT the deciding factor for most game releases these days.

For a niche game such as BGEE, the release window isn't AS important as more mainstream games, but as you can see from this thread, it's still a factor no matter how small.

P.S. TL2 is indeed a very good example of something that may also compete for gamer time. I didn't mention it in the OP because IIRC it doesn't have a solid release date yet.
  • rabidboochrabidbooch Member Posts: 15
    i still have the 5 cd's version of the game must have beat the game over 10 time and i'll still by this game on day 1 no game can compare to baldur's gate it's just epic