Skip to content

Any missing gems - RPG game titles

DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
edited October 2013 in Off-Topic
I sometimes find myself bored and really need a new game with preferably a fresh story.

A while ago I found this hidden gem called 'Divine divinity' and it's sequel (anybody want an rpg where you can turn into a dragon? Yes it's actually there).

Even though it's quite old (the original) it still proved to be very entertaining.

So anybody else has any of those games with the RPG genre which other people might have missed?

I'm considering trying Dragon Commander from Larian Studios which should be RPG/RTS-ish but first impressions where bad. I'm also waiting for Divinity Original Sin. Project eternity of course but that'll be a while yet.

Click the spoiler tag to see the games I did and/or did not like. Made this on the fly so some might be missing.

[Spoiler]
I liked:
Neverwinter 2 + MOTB
Baldurs gate 1,2,TOB
Divine Divinity
Divine divinity 2(the Dragon Knight saga)
Kotor (Knights of the old republic)
Kotor2 (The Sith Lords)
DAO + expansion
DA2 (first playthrough was nice, second playthrough the fact that there was only the illusion of choice became apparent)
Fallout series
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

I disliked:
Neverwinter
Toee (never got into it, turn based is just not for me)

I never tried:
IWD 1/2: Heard they where more dungeon crawlers than actual rpg's.
Planescape Torment, played it for a while but just didn't like the feel, yes you may bash me for my opinion.

I don't consider linear hack and slash to be rpg. So suggestions such as the Diablo games, even though they are fun, aren't what this tread is about.
[/Spoiler]

Post edited by Deefje on
TeflonFredjo

Comments

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    edited October 2013
    vampire the masquerade bloodlines.
    Im not saying it dosn't have its flaws ...
    but you get a cool vampire feel. And it really has some of the best (funniest, coolest) characters i'v ever seen in a game.
    Try it out

oh. and a villain that you will love to hate ;D
    Deefje
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    edited October 2013
    Ah yes, I agree and playing a different bloodline can turn the experience upside down really. Especially the sewer guys and the insane vampires that have conversations with traffic signs. Been a while but I did play that one. I'll update my list, I'll probably won't do so continually but since it's still fresh. :)
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    I don't know that it was ever a computer game, but I'd kill to work on a Champions superhero CRPG.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Exile/Avernum 1-3 and Avernum 4-6
    Geneforge 1-5
    Avadon: The Black Fortress
    Nethergate: Resurrection
    Blades of Exile/Avernum
    All of the Above by Spiderweb Software

All the SSI Gold Box games, especially the ones involving The Forgotten Realms: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Vamp the Masquerade has been patched to high heaven and back. It's literally a different experience now, and infinitely better than the sad state it was in right after release. Play it, you won't regret it, trust me. Oh, and for extra kicks, take a Malkavian.

;)
    etagloc
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    @ajwz wow westwood studios, I'll be sure to check it out.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited October 2013
    Vampire The Masquarade: Redemption :Had some nice combat and story with multiple endings.
    Soulbringer : I realy liked its combat back then and good story too.
    Nox : One of the best and the most underrated action rpgs. Still fun to play.
    Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader : I didn't like it much but there were ppl thinking it was the best. You may want to check)
    Blood omen: Legacy of Kain : Only this one not the series. This had great gameplay and atmosphere.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited October 2013
    Arcanum is a mustplay, really. It takes a while to get going, it's buggy and unbalanced but damned if I didn't enjoy playing a dwarven inventor with a tophat that averted bullets and an elephant hunting rifle.

If you enjoyed Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, then you might enjoy Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. It's a very different beast alltogether but it certainly has its charm (and it introduced me to Vampire, for which I am eternally grateful).

Shadowrun Returns is new and awesome, because it's Shadowrun. It's pretty short though.

Edit: First two can be found on Gog.com (the only online 'store' I will never feel ashamed for to advertise) and the latter on Steam.
    chickenhed
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I hear very good things about Arcanum but have never been able to get it to work.

I would actually suggest System Shock 2, despite it being rather different to your normally preferred games. It has a very compelling story but is a bit linear. Genre-wise it's a first-person cyberpunk RPG with survival horror elements, and it's still one of my favorite games. The 3D graphics are pretty ugly but there are several mods that overhaul them into game very playable on modern systems.

If you've never played it then Deus Ex 1 is also worth a shot. Good characterisation, encouragement to consider non-violent solutions, consequences of decisions you make only becoming clear later and multiple endings. Again it's a first-person cyberpunk RPG, but the conspiracy theory world it inhabits is exceptionally well crafted.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    ajwz said:
    Isn't Nox basically a Diablo clone?

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    Wild arms (the original) was a pseudo final fantasy clone but it featured many amazing things that final fantasy didn't have. it had a very good and interesting story, a little origin story about the three characters and a tutorial on how they work in the map.

each character has/ gets special items which help them the ones that arent spoilers are the ones you get first off. Jack has a wind mouse as a companion which you can use to get chests and open doors that are in accessible Cecilia has a magic tear that can open mystical doors

also there is magic customization on a 4X4 grid you can make your own magic using light and dark magic, light magic is more healing and buffs and dark magic is debuffs and damage spells. for a grand total of 32 spells to learn and you start off with 3 spells but you can choose any of the 32 to use straight from the beginning.

it has one of the best intro songs EVER and is just brilliant, there are other games in the series but ive not played them as i dont think any others were released in the UK
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Wilbur said:

ajwz said:

Calling Nox a Diablo clone is like calling Baldur's Gate a Fallout clone.

chickenhed
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Wilbur said:

ajwz said:

They are not really similar at all.
    Nox is far more rpg like. Large cities to explore, lots of dialogue. You learn spells from scrolls rather tahn just by levelling up. There is no emphasis on loot tiers. etc.
    It's really no closer to diablo than bg is to diablo
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ajwz said:

Nox is far more rpg like. Large cities to explore, lots of dialogue. You learn spells from scrolls rather tahn just by levelling up. There is no emphasis on loot tiers. etc.

You learned spells from books in the original Diablo.
  • fujisanfujisan Member Posts: 33
    Deus ex 1 by far the best RPG I've ever played along with the BG series.
    CorvinoWilbur
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited October 2013
    DnD:
    Eye of the beholder 1 and 2
    Eob can be played on Sega Satern/pc/dos emulator

Edit: Shadowrun:
    A instant classic is-Shadowrun Returns
    Really fun and epic DnD style game for pc

From Software: The guys that made Demon/Dark Souls
    Kings field 1-2
    Shadow Tower

Personal Note: From Software make some of the richest worlds I have every been a part of.(bought a ps3 just for their games)

Vandal Hearts 1-2

Vandal Hearts and the From Software games can be played on original playstation only sadly so you will need a playstation emulator if you do not have a physical model sitting in your closet. If any of you have issue finding resources for the emu or game pm me and I'll send some links back.

Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
    Wilbur
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    OGRE BATTLE
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    ajwz said:

Wilbur said:

ajwz said:

I stand corrected then. I really liked Diablo back in the day anyway. Never played Nox myself.

@Chaotic_Good
    I finished both Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 about a year back on PC. They still work like charm :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    LadyRhian already mentioned it. But I'd like to recommend the Avernum series too. It's even older than Baldur's Gate, and the graphics are outdated, but if you can get past that, it really is a gem. Absolutely massive worlds, epic quests and plotlines.

Actually Avernum was what got me into Baldur's Gate, cos I saw Baldur's Gate being advertised whilst buying the Avernum collection from GoG since I lost my CDs long ago.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Heindrich1988 And where else can you encounter the GIFTS? (Giant, Intelligent, Friendly Talking Spiders) Their leader is named "Spider", and unlike the unintelligent, unfriendly normal Giant Spiders, they don't try to eat or attack you. Though "intelligent" is kind of a misnomer… They are rather… dim, compared to humans. But in Exile, they actually had a kind of cute speaking noise. "Hi!" in a rather friendly squeaking way.

http://homepages.uni-regensburg.de/~mim09509/Avernum/AvernumEscPit/Towns/Spider.html

The GIFTS were based on Jeff Vogel's (The creator of Exile/Avernum) real life pet, a Chilean Rose tarantula. His company, Spiderweb Software, is also named in honor of his pet.
    hogs of war was something really special too like worms 3D but english pigs and WW2 setting and REALLY funny in the land of saustrlasia! i recommend that game its amazing

you people maybe angry at me for this but i really loved harry potter and the philosopher's stone for the gameboy colour it was the time i witnessed importing a character to start the game again in any game and it was much bigger than you would think memory would allow on a GBC cart.

i want to name a PC game that didnt get much hear.......um...... judging off my friends both i personally know and people i know on forums swiv 3D was an amazing 3rd person shooter where you control a helicopter or a buggy (when ever possible i went with the helicopter) both had its advantages, helicopter has massive maneuverability while the buggy didnt get shot at by turrets as they were all GAM missiles and its still hard getting it.

and my last one would be ascendancy for the PC a BRILLIANT space stratergy game where you pick an alien race and you conquer the galaxy building up planets, researching, exploring and using diplomacy to make a united treaty to win or kill everyone or get everyone to kill themselves while you hide in the corner from your impenetrable empire and laugh :D like the space stage in spore if it was good and....thought was put into it...and....was actually fun
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Here are games I've enjoyed, most having already been mentioned. Some are really old, if that bothers you.

VTM:Bloodlines (possibly fav game ever)
    KOTOR 1+2
    Deus Ex 1 (not 2)
    Gothic 1+2
    Avernum (and most of the games from Spiderweb Software)
    Might and Magic series (prefer 6+7, avoid 9)
    Ultima series (enjoyed 8, avoid 9)
    Fallout 1
    Morrowind

I've heard great things about Planescape:Torment and good things about Dragon Age, Mass Effect. The Longest Journey, The Last Express, Drakensang, Syberia, Alan Wake, and Witcher. Haven't gotten around to playing any of them though.

Really, anyone looking for games should head over to GOG. Their forum isn't the best, but they have a great selection of games.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Some that I personally liked that are not listed here yet...

Fable 1 and 3
    The Last Remnant
    Jagged Alliace 1 & 2 sort of count as RPGs...
    Tales of Vesperia
    The Quest for Glory series
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I concur with the Vampire: The Masquerade games. (Both Redemption and Bloodlines)
    Also, would like to add Might & Magic 7 and 8 (9 wasn't very good), Jagged Alliance gold.

If you don't mind playing old games, try to find Albion from BlueByte. Legendary game. (And oldschool hard, oldschool long)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    You Are Not The Hero, a missing gem and successful Kickstarter video game scheduled for autumn next year. The first RPG where you're not playing as the hero or villian, but an unimportant NPC which gets robbed by the heroes of her valuabes most the time. XD
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I also disliked Neverwinter 1 and the expansion shadows of undrentide, however i really liked the 2nd expansion Hordes of the underdark... maybe check that one out.
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Am I the only one here that have played the grand-father of rpg ? Wasteland 1 (Can't wait for Wasteland 2)
    i like talking on this topic as i am a pure gamer, i have a half dozen consoles and dozens of games that i like to talk about some are embarrassing others are surprising, lets continue!

Final fantasy 6: in my opinion? the BEST final fantasy in the series, its been overshadowed by the over hyped and terrible final fantasy 7 and most of my friends who think they are final fantasy fans actually didn't know this one existed. ill admit i didnt know it got a UK release either because i started at FF8 but i bought this as a 2nd hand shop for £1 and boy im glad i did.

Pokemon mystery dungeon blue / red rescue team: this is both an embarrassing and surprising little gem, im a big fan of pokemon (not overly i just like the games) and i bought this for cheap mainly to help build my library of DS games when i first got one. this game is really good, it has a challenge and an amazing story. whats better is you dont need to know pokemon to enjoy this game, nintendo could have released this game as something completely different and it would still be good, eve if you hate pokemon i suggest playing this as its a throwback to old school dungeon crawlers. with an emotional story to boot.

im out of ideas for now so i might mention some others later
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Final fantasy 6: in my opinion? the BEST final fantasy in the series, its been overshadowed by the over hyped and terrible final fantasy 7

Every time I try to state that on the internet I get a bunch of fanboys screaming about how I'm wrong...
    Mrpenfold666