Skip to content

Any missing gems - RPG game titles

2»

Comments

• NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    Basically every Troika game is a Gem inside of a turd. Thankfully it seems that Troika's fanbase has wiped most of the turd off of the gem in the years that they've been disbanded. So I'd highly recommend playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Arcanum. Just...Make sure you get the Unofficial patches for them first. There are a lot of issues that don't get solved in the official patches.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    Kaltzor said:

Final fantasy 6: in my opinion? the BEST final fantasy in the series, its been overshadowed by the over hyped and terrible final fantasy 7

Every time I try to state that on the internet I get a bunch of fanboys screaming about how I'm wrong...
    I could rant for days on how much i hate FF7 but that topic is not for here. maybe later i can go in depth and rant to my hearts content. but lets keep this on topic
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Albion from 1995. The game is absolutely brilliant.
    Southpaw
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    @Mrpenfold666 I really enjoyed the first pokemon games. Though with the new version it just became too repetitive. But blue and red have a place in my heart.

In general, I found that I find playing old 2d games more satisfying than playing old 3d games. I tried gothic but I just couldn't immerse. It's probably also why when I first played neverwinter 1 I was really offset by the way it looked, having hoped for something more in the lines of BG.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    LadyRhian said:

Exile/Avernum 1-3 and Avernum 4-6
    Geneforge 1-5
    Avadon: The Black Fortress
    Nethergate: Resurrection
    Blades of Exile/Avernum
    All of the Above by Spiderweb Software

All the SSI Gold Box games, especially the ones involving The Forgotten Realms: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

I've been a way a while but can i ask you for a link for a good dos emulator that let you play those old D&D ? I have the entire Silver and gold box collections, and despite their age, would love to play them again 1 after the other, but i tried a few emulators and either i kept messing something up as i'm not dos savvy....at all lol or the emulators i tried were pure crap(1 in fact who's name i 4get corrupted one og my old hd's which is now in the scrap heap. pease and tank you
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Gilgalahad I have a Macintosh, but freegameempire seems to have at least the first three games in the Pool of Radiance series: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Final fantasy 6: in my opinion? the BEST final fantasy in the series, its been overshadowed by the over hyped and terrible final fantasy 7 and most of my friends who think they are final fantasy fans actually didn't know this one existed. ill admit i didnt know it got a UK release either because i started at FF8 but i bought this as a 2nd hand shop for £1 and boy im glad i did.

FF7 is overhyped, sure but it's far from terrible. FF6 was equally good.
    I like FF6 for its freedom and massive cast of characters, I like FF7 for its storyline, setting and materia system.
    Both have cool villains (though Kefka has a considerably smaller hentai following) and interesting main characters so I heartily recommend both.

Final Fantasy 8 however is...well let's say I don't agree with some design decisions. Like, practicly all of them.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Dosbox is what I use. You don't really need to know allot but it can be a pain at the start you must set up your file path and then learn the commands. It is pretty basic for some games it is a little harder if you have to install the game to dosbox. It doesn't tell you what you have to do on the download you really just have to look in the game file. I always start by trying the .EXE/.BAT then installing if needed.

win7

A.Getting Started

1. Download dosbox and install it under C: DO NOT install it in a program file folder and do not place it in its own folder.

2. After it is installed create a folder in C: named dosgames this is where you will place the games you download.

3. Place the dos games you downloaded in the dosgames folder you made earlier.
    a. For each game you put inside of dosgames make a folder for it. ie. c:\dosgames\avadon
    b. Download 7zip if you do not have a file extractor it's free.
    c. Right click your game and click extract here. If it creates folder and nothing else place it in the dosgames and delete the folder you created.

4. Now go into the start menu and click all programs go to dosbox then click dosbox options and change the following:
    Fullscreen=True
    Output=Overlay
    Memsize=32

To exit and enter full screen mode hit alt - enter
    Changing it to overlay will make it so it will not mess up when tabbing out.

B. How to play games
    a. Some games you have to install and some you do not
    b. I just try to play the game files and if they do not work I install them
    c. I use avadon as an example only you will have to look for the actual files including those to play avadon.

1. Open dosbox and enter these codes:
    a. Mount c c:\dosgames
    b. c:
    c. cd avadon (I am just using avadon put the game folder you wish to play)
    d. Now you need to look in the game folder for files like ava.exe or ava.bat (using ava for avadon)
    e. Then enter that files name it will look something like. C:\AVADON>ava.exe
    f. If the game doesn't start it will need to be installed

If you are going down the list and option 1 did not work close and reopen dosbox

2.To install a game in dosbox enter the following codes:
    a. mount c c:\dosgames -freesize 1000
    b. mount d c:\dosgames\dfcd -t cdrom -label Avadon
    c. D:
    d. INSTALL
    e. After the install is done if there are any updates type in the file name to install it
    f. to start the game enter C:\AVADON>AVADON

3.To play a game after install has been don and you are reopening dosbox
    a. mount c c:\dosgames -freesize 1000
    b. mount d c:\dosgames\dfcd -t cdrom -label Avadon
    c. C:
    d. cd\avadon
    e. avadon
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
    DrugarMrpenfold666
    I really liked all FF games up until 9 they got a new director after 8 and everything went to shit. 9 while bad was far better than what came after.
    Mrpenfold666
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think FFX was brilliant. Haven't had time to properly play FFXII even though I own it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Let's not start a discussion about Final Fantasy here... If you want to end it on an agreement, how about we just agree that Final Fantasy 2 is bad and move on.
    Mrpenfold666
    final fantasy 12 is the worst! but back on topic. i really liked the shining force games for the sega megadrive though i suggest getting the megadrive ultimate collection and using save states, later on battles can take 1 hour + but a real good RPG strategy game.

i also liked dungeon hack with is a first person dungeon crawler RPG which got quite addicting after a while as it had simple gameplay unlike most of the others
    edited November 2013
    Ogre battle it is more of a strategy games but its a goody played it on snes emu. There was one for 64 but could never get the 64 emu to play it. It would always freeze after toon creation.

EDIT: If you downloaded the emu that was posted before sry it was rubbish full of graphic errors. Use this one it works well. http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/project64.html
    @Chaotic_Good Might want to check what you typed- spellcheck can make fools of all of us. When I saw (ahem) "ORGY BATTLE", i was thinking a different game entirely!
    Mrpenfold666Chaotic_Good
  • RyshardRyshard Member Posts: 51
    Planescape: Torment

I know you mentioned at the beginning you weren't into it but I thought it was great.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    You shouldn't miss Diablo3.
    It has Diablo as last boss!

You can kill him on Normal first. Then you kill him on Nightmare, then you kill him on Hell, then you kill him on Inferno, then you kill him on Inferno MP1, then you kill him on Inferno MP2, then you kill him on Inferno MP3, then you kill him on Inferno MP4, then you kill him on Inferno MP5, then you kill him on Inferno MP6, then you kill him on Inferno MP7, then you kill him on Inferno MP8, then you kill him on Inferno MP9, then you kill him on Inferno MP10.
    SouthpawEntropyXII
    .....diablo 3 sucks and is a complete betrayal to the series. if you want to play diablo play the original or diablo 2, they are good games. diablo 3 gets its own story wrong many many MANY times
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    No, previous games can't beat the atmosphere of diablo3.
    Also bald mortal Tyrael > immortal Tyrael.
    edited November 2013
    I have prolly had a few awkward conversations because I until a moment ago thought that the name of the game was orgy battle..
    XXX larping.. TM... talk about sword fighting.

Edit:
    Top 10 classic rpgs
    1. Secret of the stars - snes
    2. Lunar - Silver Star Story - sega cd - ps1
    3. Vandal hearts - ps1
    4. Eye of the beholder - dos
    5. Grandstream Saga - ps1
    6. Breath of fire - snes - ps1
    7. Final fantasy - nes - snes - ps1
    8. Shadowrun - snes - pc (the pc game is brand new)
    10. Kings field - ps1 - pc (The pc version is one created by a fan with a game tool there are also a few other games made this same way)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited November 2013
    My personal list from memory, so some titles can be missing:

Final Fantasy VI - PSX (III in SNES) One of the Best RPG ever made
    Final Fantasy IX - PSX
    Final Fantasy VII - PSX
    Breath of Fire III - PSX One of the best RPGs for PSX
    Breath of Fire VI - PSX Higly different from BoFIII but it's a good RPG still
    Legend of Dragoon - PSX If you never played this one, do it!!
    Chrono Trigger - SNES One of the best RPGs ever made
    Chrono Cross - PSX non linear sequece of Chrono Trigger, it's good and surprising in it's storyline.
    Lufia: Fortress of Doom - SNES The story told here will make you overjoy so much that risk an heart attack
    Secret of mana - SNES
    Terranigma - SNES really liked this game, you play through the eons, from before humankind to the end
    Robotrek - SNES Nice RPG
    Super Metroid One of the platium titles of SNES
    Demon's Crest - SNES Firebrand to whom know him, is the main char of this game
    Zelda a link to the past - SNES
    Flashback - SNES Recently remade (Flashback 2013) to actual tecnology and being sold in STEAM
    Ogre Battle 64 personally one of the games i most liked, but that's personal taste
    Zelda: Ocarina of TIme - N64
    Paper Mario - N64
    Hybrid Heaven - N64
    Donkey Kong 64 - N64 The first gameplay will make you laught a lot!
    Planescape:Torment - PC
    Mass Effect series - PC
    Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer - PC
    Vampire: Redemption - PC One of the best games ever, for one or two gameplay, low replay value
    Vampire: Bloodlines - PC Excelent game and high level of replayability

I can't point emulators here, i asked it in the past (to start a discussion about it) and i got an "no" (it was a cool and nice explanation that resulted in "no" in fact, the "no" was more for the Rooms than the emulator but then, i will limit my mentions here)., but i can share the existence of the idea and it's up to you ppl pursue it or not. I feel the urge of share my good experiences, but with the forum limits this is the far i can go.
    @Chaotic_Good Gives new meaning to the terms "Sword Duel" and "Polishing your sword". ;)
    Chaotic_Good