Skip to content

Hexxat, Possible Origin

With the release of the concept art for Hexxat I get the distinct impression that she is going to be a Yuan-Ti Pureblood. The reason being her snakeskin style dress, as well as her very reptilian looking eyes.

This shouldn't pose a problem as far game mechanics goes as the purebloods look similar enough to humans to use their avatars, and their abilities aren't all that powerful.

I may be wrong, but whatever she is, she doesn't look purely human. Tiefling is also an option I guess. What do you people think?

http://baldursgateii.com/images/screens/concept02.jpg
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti_pureblood

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Do freckles count as minor reptilian feature, I wonder?

Another guess: Maybe she's the daughter of Sarevok who traveled through time to get revenge? That would at least explain her glowing eyes.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    http://heterochromiaturian.tumblr.com/post/65361887627/a-portrait-i-did-for-baldurs-gate-2-enhanced

She doesn't really look like a Yuan-ti pureblood or a Tiefling. Even Shadar Kai seems a little out there, judging by the portrait.

Of course, succubi have Alternate Form as a special ability...
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

Do freckles count as minor reptilian feature, I wonder?

Another guess: Maybe she's the daughter of Sarevok who traveled through time to get revenge? That would at least explain her glowing eyes.

My female pureblood yuan-ti charname from Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir has freckles.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    There's always the possibility that her portrait was actually a massive trolling effort, and isn't actually hers.

There are a few races that have the big yellow eyes thing. Doppleganger would be one (and they are known to be hired as spies, assassins or to recover artefacts from ruins). She could also be a human werepanther, or even a shade, both appropriate races for a stealthy rogue. Tiefling is already coded as a race in the game, so that seems like an obvious possibility, but that's part of why I don't especially want it or think it'll be the case (also 2 tieflings in BG2? What is this, Planescape?). Doppleganger appeals to my sense of humour, seeing as she's spent the last few months/weeks being 'all things to all people'.

Yuan-ti Pureblood would be pretty awesome, but it doesn't fit the portrait we have of her (and thus relies on the portrait being a 'hoax', as it were, which is always possible). @Mortianna suggested Shadar-kai, which I think would be interesting and fits her appearance better than, say, a full shade would.

My female pureblood yuan-ti charname from Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir has freckles.

But can mere freckles replace actual scales, slit pupils, and the ability to do awesome french kisses for that matter? Sadly, Hexxat's reptilian vibe is pretty much zero.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited October 2013
    Drugar said:

http://heterochromiaturian.tumblr.com/post/65361887627/a-portrait-i-did-for-baldurs-gate-2-enhanced

She doesn't really look like a Yuan-ti pureblood or a Tiefling. Even Shadar Kai seems a little out there, judging by the portrait.

Being human is enough, I'm just happy we got an evil aligned thief. Dorn, Hexxat, Edwin, Viccy. You got a nice core of evil NPCs freeing the gamer up to go whatever route he wanted. She's cute too.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @onan I'm sold. She's a French Electro-funk Android. Pretty exotic for a Forgotten Realms NPC.
    Lateralus said:

Being human is enough, I'm just happy we got an evil aligned thief.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. (Though, fortunately, the concept art seems distinctly on that end of the morality spectrum).
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I'm still going with Yuan-Ti Pureblood, that concept art of her is telling.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Drugar said:

Keep in mind that the caption for the portrait says that it wasn't specifically designed for Hexxat. The artist did it to see if he could mimic the BG portait style and it was later adopted into the game.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Indeed, although it probably sparked the idea of her origin from there.

I think Shadar-Kai would be awesome, but it's more probable she's a doppleganger i think.

My secret hope is she's a succubus, then again the wings would be a problem.

P.S. Dopplegangers have no sex :p
    Mornmagor said:

Oh dear... So what awaits my bhaalspawn in BG2:EE is basically a sexless marriage? Life sucks. :(
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Maybe a sucubus who has lost her wings? It could be the torment of that experience that drives her to evil.

Damn I'm original.
    edited October 2013
    pixie359 said:

Maybe a sucubus who has lost her wings? It could be the torment of that experience that drives her to evil.

Damn I'm original.

Especially since succubi are paragons of virtue to start with :)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Mornmagor said:

Oh dear... So what awaits my bhaalspawn in BG2:EE is basically a sexless marriage? Life sucks. :(
    It's not so bad. My Shepards were with Tali in Mass Effect. Hexxat could shapeshift and get the parts :)

What he really meant though is no gender ruling her out because she is female.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

But can mere freckles replace actual scales, slit pupils, and the ability to do awesome french kisses for that matter? Sadly, Hexxat's reptilian vibe is pretty much zero.
    That's a relief.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think she is a Miniature Giant Space Hampsterette, who shaved off her whiskers. And she is Boo's nemesis/ex-wife come to track him down and kill him (or get alimony checks).

That's a relief.
    Not into the lizard lovin'?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Like @Sceptenar said, the portrait for Hexxat in the screenshots and promo video might just be one of the new Charname portraits, like the Duergar (at least it looks Duergar) in one of the shots. Judging by the new Hexxat pic, I think we've been had!

The portrait-formerly-known-as-Hexxat would make a good Charname portrait, as she could definitely pass for Imoen's half-sister.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I think she might be an Air or Fire Genasi.

At first it was just a random race I chose, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I don't know anything about Zakhara, but I've been doing some reading in the Forgotten Realms wiki and it's all coming together.

Genies of all sorts are numerous in Zakhara. Djinn and Efreeti genies, the genies of Air and Fire, are part of this family. They are relatives of Air Genasi and Fire Genasi respectively; therefore, it stands to reason that all kinds of Genasi live in Zakhara as well. This would help explain Hexxat's otherwise unusual race.

I'm more inclined to believe she's an Air Genasi Shadowdancer because combining an Air Genasi's free spirit with the mobility and grace of the Shadowdancer make it a perfect fit. With the skills of a Shadowdancer, larceny and murder are another good match.
    Where are you drawing the connection to Zakhara from? Have I missed something somewhere?
    @Eudaemonium
    It's been said that we'll be visiting Zakhara in BG2EE. I'm assuming that's where we'll meet Hexxat.
  • nemiafalanemiafala Member Posts: 18
    @Flashburn It'll be awesome if she's a genasi, but the concept art doesn't look like she has szuldar, so it seems unlikely. Though I suppose she could be hiding them, since glowy lines of elemental energy seem counterproductive when it comes to hiding in the shadows...
    Hmm. I was under the impression that in 3rd edition, Genasi didn't have szuldar lines in their skin and they could only "be" one type of genasi. And they only had one or two features to tell them apart from humans. In 4th edition it looks like they've merged into one race, manifest different elements, and look very distinctly not-human.

If the trend of BG borrowing from 3e continues, even though its AD&D 2e (see sorcerer, dwarven defender), I would have to say that Hexxat would be a 3e version of an Air Genasi. That said, my only experience with Genasi is with NWN2 so I could be wrong and I most likely am.

But let's compare, shall we? Keep in mind that the appearances of the 3rd edition Genasi can vary by individual. Maybe another Air Genasi wouldn't have blue skin, but their hair would always seem to flow in the wind. Or a fire genasi would look like a normal human, except for skin, eyes, and hair that would glow red when angry.

3e, from left to right: Earth, Air, Water, Fire.

4e - what looks to be a Genasi struggling to manifest a different element.
  • nemiafalanemiafala Member Posts: 18
    Ah, sorry; my information all comes from the Forgotten Realms wiki, which has apparently switched over to fourth edition without bothering to mention that things were different in the past. I just assumed that the NWN2 genasi didn't have szuldar because they would have been difficult to implement somehow.
    Hmm... Hexxat being an air genasi might actually explain how her hood stays up.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2013
    @Sceptenar @Mortianna @Eudaemonium

I don't agree the lady in the portrait is not Hexxat.

On all the screenshots available there're:

1) parties with one PC and other NPCs

2) parties consisting of 6 PCs

It is hardly imaginable the screenshots with two new portraits mean a party with 2 PCs and other NPCs.

Also, if we're talking about Mad Bee, UI/Concept/Character Artist at Beamdog, here's the 100% evidence that the lady in the portrait is Hexxat: "Also painted the portrait I point out in the picture of a certain new character" - and we know the only new character now is Hexxat.

http://heterochromiaturian.tumblr.com/post/60520589784/glimpse-of-the-updated-and-revamped-ui-i-did-for

BTW, Avenger_teambg (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/381392/#Comment_381392) fuels speculation Hexxat is not evil.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @bengoshi: I read that more as sarcasm - "Why would you possibly think she was evil just because she has glowing eyes and a dark hood?"
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

That's a relief.
    I once dated a basilisk. Being a beholder myself, let's just say it was awkward.

That's a relief.
    I once dated a basilisk. Being a beholder myself, let's just say it was awkward.
    No deep, longing looks into each others eyes eh?