Skip to content

Any way to uninstall v1.2?

HatuHatu Member Posts: 10
Hello folks. I've been enjoying Baldur's Gate [on the PC] all over again, and all was well until I updated to the new v1.2. Unfortunately, the new UI is *really* annoying me. Is there any way to revert back to v1.1.4?

-H

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    a lot of people seemed super excited about the new ui. I haven't tried it yet as I am currently playing other games but I don't know how to revert back either. maybe if enough people don't like it there will be a mod to revert the ui.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Aside from making a backup of the entire game and then restoring it, no.
  • HatuHatu Member Posts: 10
    Jalily said:

Aside from making a backup of the entire game and then restoring it, no.

A little late for that now. 8-(

-H

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Eh, nothing's going to be universally popular. Unfortunately, I think reinstalling the game automatically patches it, so you're (legally) stuck if you don't have a backup.
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    They have mentioned that the UI can be modded to look like it used to. You might be better off waiting for some UI mods or browse if some that work for the patch already exist, rather than trying to get rid of a huge amount of other improvements just to revert the UI. Or play around for a bit longer with the default UI; you might just get used to it, at least with the right mindset.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Hatu
    You can always try out a different UI, like the one Archaic made. Check out the link below.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10158/gui-mod-archaic-for-bgee-beta-5-5-easy-installer-with-customization-options/p1
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I didn't think Archaic's worked with the new patch. Am i wrong?

What's annoying about it?

First, the text is much harder to read, mostly because it's a smaller, denser font (especially on the pop-up scrolls. I can't see any way to change it. The change to the icons likewise makes it harder to see the details because the items in them are just smaller.

Second, the new looks is, IMHO, ugly. The old UI had the buttons on a textured grey background. The new UI cut and pasted those buttons, but left them on a flat black background. As a result, the edges of look weird, because they're supposed to be transitioning to a grey background and they don't. Also, they switched all the text in the game to modern, scale-able fonts overlayed on the UI graphics. But the fonts are much brighter and sharper, and I find the results jarring. (And harder to read, of course.)

Third, I *despise* modern UIs that layer transparent windows over the main window. So you can imagine how displeased I was to see the well designed UI of the original game changed so that it actively obstructs my view of the game world.

I get that people like the new UI, and I'm happy for them. But it's really getting in the way of my playing the game, and I'd desperately like to back to the old one.

-H
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    You can always scale the UI under options - this should make things bigger for you :)
    Sed said:

You can always scale the UI under options - this should make things bigger for you :)

I AM in scaled mode.

-H

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

I didn't think Archaic's worked with the new patch. Am i wrong?

@Eudaemonium

It doesn't. He has a beta version that should work but he has stopped development for the moment.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Probably your best bet is to buy the original BG from GOG and then mod back in the things you like about EE. Unless you are over the moon about the three new characters, it sounds like vanilla BG is what you want anyway. Most of the rest of the EE changes are things pulled from mods over the years.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Waiting for a mod seems the best bet.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The gui is moddable in EE too. A lot of stuff you can't have in the GoG version.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    The GUI is really nice. From what I played last night and during the beta I thought they did a great job. Just pay for a few days and maybe you will adjust.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013
    Hatu said:

Third, I *despise* modern UIs that layer transparent windows over the main window. So you can imagine how displeased I was to see the well designed UI of the original game changed so that it actively obstructs my view of the game world.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion about the UI, but this one simply makes no sense at all. How is something that was previously completely opaque, and is now transparent, actively obstructing your view of the game world?

I too would like the option for bigger font though. At the moment the size is only slightly above the treshold of me needing to squint my eyes to see it.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, this doesn't compute: formerly opaque, now transparent gui elements actively obstructing view.
  • NeurologicalNeurological Member Posts: 48
    It does compute. He probably mean when you open inventory tab or character tab, that goes on top of the game window instead of beign in full page like the old ui. I have to admit that feels weird to me too having tabs hovering on top of the main game, but I can adapt.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Hatu said:

Hello folks. I've been enjoying Baldur's Gate [on the PC] all over again, and all was well until I updated to the new v1.2. Unfortunately, the new UI is *really* annoying me. Is there any way to revert back to v1.1.4?

-H

Get an earlier backup from a friend or get it from steam before it is updated there.

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited November 2013
    The OP's complaint reminds me of TESIII: Morrowind inventory, it was 99% transparent and you could resize it at will just like a Windows folder.

I know such feature is probably unfeasible in this engine,
    but I battle-cry in despair and rage every time I open unmodded Oblivion or Skyrim with their obstructing console-inventories.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited November 2013
    Hatu said:

I totally agree with you on this when it comes to more contemporary games (like NWN or Diablo 3), but not in BG:EE's case, which is probably the first game where I've actually liked the transparent and windowed UI.

Because in BG:EE's case it doesn't really obstruct anything compared to the old UI. I see your point, though I feel like you're partly holding on to a principle.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Messi said:

I too would like the option for bigger font though. At the moment the size is only slightly above the treshold of me needing to squint my eyes to see it.

This! The patch is marvelous and the game is finally running on my system at full speed for what I am grateful, but is there any way to increase the font size? Like editing Baldur.ini or something? It hurts, really. :/
    edited November 2013

Probably your best bet is to buy the original BG from GOG and then mod back in the things you like about EE. Unless you are over the moon about the three new characters, it sounds like vanilla BG is what you want anyway. Most of the rest of the EE changes are things pulled from mods over the years.

I already own a copy of the original release game discs. I don't need the GoG version. I bought the EE because I like the BG2 engine improvements, and Tutu is rather cumbersome to use. I'd like to get back to enjoying the EE.

Yeah, this doesn't compute: formerly opaque, now transparent gui elements actively obstructing view.

I totally agree with you on this when it comes to more contemporary games (like NWN or Diablo 3), but not in BG:EE's case, which is probably the first game where I've actually liked the transparent and windowed UI.

Because in BG:EE's case it doesn't really obstruct anything compared to the old UI. I see your point, though I feel like you're partly holding on to a principle.

I've tilted at plenty of windmills in my day, but this is more than principle. Under old UI, the "world" part of the screen filled the area between the top of the monitor (/game window) and the top of the text box. Under the new UI, it extends down to the bottom of the monitor, with the text box pasted on top of it. In other words, part of the world is now stuck BEHIND part of the UI.

That not only makes it harder to see, it also makes it impossible to click on that area. So if I want to, say, leave Beregost to the South, or attack an enemy on the bottom edge of the map, I need to either remove the text window to give the command (if that's even possible), or reposition and then click on the narrow bands between the edges of the text box and the sides of the world screen. That is NOT an improvement over the old UI.

And as a final note, the transparent window also makes it harder to read the text in the box itself when the world background is brightly lit.

I'll agree that this problem is much worse in other games that don't have a scrolling map with lots of black space, but that's no excuse to tolerate it here. It's a completely needless pain, all for no benefit. The "modern" UI with overlapping transparent windows is a terrible paradigm that I'd like to see phased out. The last thing we should be doing is making more to replace existing, better designed UIs.

-H

EDIT: When I first tested this, I used the Map screen to go to the bottom of the Beregost map. That put the bottom of the world at the bottom of the monitor, and I was indeed unable to issue commands to leave off the southern edge behind the text window. But after scrolling around in the normal world map a bit, it seems I can then scroll even further south, and thus put the bottom of the world on the top of the text window.

I would still prefer the old UI, but this is less of a problem than I had feared.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited November 2013
    "That not only makes it harder to see, it also makes it impossible to click on that area. So if I want to, say, leave Beregost to the South, or attack an enemy on the bottom edge of the map, I need to either remove the text window to give the command (if that's even possible), or reposition and then click on the narrow bands between the edges of the text box and the sides of the world screen. That is NOT an improvement over the old UI."

You should be able to scroll down past the bottom of the area until the top of the text window is off the area. Are you unable to do that?

Edit: Ah, alright then. *Stops panicing*
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262

Please, stop acting like the GoG version even comes close to a patched EE. There are now things that can be modded that were dismissed as hard-coded in vanilla, rendering them literally impossible. The only actual advantage GoG has is that modders haven't updated all their mods to EE, which is probably a godsend that should help filter out some of the garbage mods.
    I never modded vanilla BG, actually, and played it for more than a decade in the old-school UI. I found the "new" UI offputting at first, and kept going back to vanilla for the first six months I had EE. About two months ago I started playing EE more regularly because I figured I needed to get through it at least once. Now I find the UI even in BG2 to be cumbersome, EE has grown on me that much. I don't think vanilla BG comes close to the patched EE, but the OP was posting that he hates the new UI, pretty much seems to hate everything about it - and seems also to like the way the various UI screens are handled in vanilla. So, an easy fix is to play vanilla - it still holds up very well despite not being as crisp.