Skip to content

Zan Zansen's AdventureWear Emporium

ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
edited January 2014 in Fan Creations
I felt like recreating some different weapons from the Baldur's Gate series. It was originally because I wanted a sword follower in-game and therefore needed a portrait.

I will probably spend most of my very limited spare time making more of these, but for now, here's my interpretation of the Black Blade of Disaster.

Feel free to make requests if you want. There are so many excellent weapon designs in the game, it'll be difficult for me to choose anyway. ^^
Post edited by Zanian on
FredjoScooterlaptopman666KyzarinCrevsDaak

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    That reminds me more of Varascona (Long Sword +2 from BG1) than from the Black Blade of Disaster,but it is a very good drawing indeed. Adjhata +2 ( its a (Long Sword+2, BG2SoA, heals wielder by one point with each successful hit) has a very good design.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    If you go by the model, I suppose it does look like the Varscona, but I'm more inclined to go by the drawings in the description.
    As for the BBoD, I started out with just making it look like its D&D description; "a black blade-shaped planar rift about 3 feet long", but without a hilt it didn't look like a sword at all (and frankly, quite boring), so I just improvised. Pure coincidence that it looks similar to the model of the Varscona.

I might give the Adjatha a try, but it looks like a real pain with all those twirly bits of metal. ^^
    CrevsDaak
    Very good work, awesome! If you want to make something VERY easy, draw a buckler shield, but, well, Adjatha is a real pain, yes, maybe a bastard sword or a bow.
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    cool swords :)
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak @laptopman666 Cheers. Yeah next time I will probably do one of the bows. But first, here's another sword I did a week ago, I just didn't get around to do the final PS touchups till now.
    This time, it's one of my favorite weapons in BG1. I almost never do a run without it, and I've always liked the design.
    I bring you, the Spider's Bane!

(This time, I was actually quite happy with how it turned out (plus I'm getting the hang of making swords, hehe), so I threw in 2 bonus angles. ^^)

The design is a mix of the drawing in the description and the item icon itself, since the two actually differ quite a bit.
    Post edited by Zanian on
    laptopman666CrevsDaakLordRumfishKyzarin
    wow nice work! and i really like the 3rd angle of the hilt! and yes i loved that weapon as well :)
    Most, impressive.
    Great work, I'll recommend to start with the Dead Shot long bow, or maybe, if you want something extremely difficult, Gesen's short bow.
    if you could draw gesen's short bow i would be impressed as well! I would imagine just by its in-game art it would be difficult!
    CrevsDaak
    Thanks guys. Yeah I haven't decided which one to do yet. I might try my luck with the Mana bow though, which has the coolest design in my opinion (and arguably the most difficult ^^), or just start out with an easier one like the Dead Shot.

'Don't know when though, seeing as I'm currently pushing 75-80 hours a week at work at the moment. -.- (And there also has to be time for BG2:EE of course ^^)
    CrevsDaak
  • KyzarinKyzarin Member Posts: 21
    I like what you've done here. I'll recommend that you do a couple classic swords from BG2: Celestial Fury and Lilarcor.
    CrevsDaak
    edited January 2014
    I know I said I'd do a bow next, but I just had to do one of the Staff of the Magi, since I love the new design for it. Plus it didn't take long. ^^
    Granted, I took a LOT of artistic freedom with this (it ended up looking a bit... alien, but hey), and as always, the drawing in the description and the icon itself are completely different. (Stop making this so hard on me, BG designers, old and new!)
    So yeah, I guess it's more of an interpretation than anything.

Bow next. Promise. Maybe.
    Post edited by Zanian on
    CrevsDaakFredjo
    Wow, nice staff, you got it right, they've changed it in BG2:EE, I do not know why, the old one was very cool indeed.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    these thread needs to be renamed to Zan Zansen's AdventureWear Emporium
    FlashburnCrevsDaak
    @CrevsDaak Thanks. They changed the in-game model to make it look special (and nailed it btw, it truly looks worthy of it's power now), so obviously they had to change the icon and drawing. I for one approve. ^^ And so does Neera I might add.

@booinyoureyes Done! :P
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    Hey can you make a returning throwing hammer or axe? I always thought those were really cool.

Or a throwing scimitar? For Habib
    CrevsDaak
    edited December 2013

Or a throwing scimitar? For Habib

FOR HABIB!!!!! Raggh!! Wait, it wasn' that :/ damned Baator, I can't make much sense at this time of the night *Yawn Yawnsen*.
    laptopman666
    edited January 2014
    @booinyoureyes
    I really don't know how a throwing scimitar would differ from a regular one, so I guess the choice was between axes or hammers. And seeing as the Dwarven Thrower looks awesome, here it is ^^
    (5am and still hadn't gone to bed, so why not. Sleep's for the wicked.)

The in-game design was what I went for, as always, only borrowing the actual color scheme from the icon. Seeing as it's of dwarven handiwork, I tried to make it look like it was made with some sort of mythril-like metal. Ie. all magical and sh*t. I'm personally happy with the outcome. ^^

Post edited by Zanian on
    booinyoureyesDrugarCrevsDaakFredjo
    edited January 2014
    So I started work on a bow. The Taralash to be exact. After a few hours of frustrating work, PS crashed and apparently I had forgotten to save. Me no likey bows.

So here's a shield instead! The Fortress Shield:

I know, the ingame design is the same for half the shields in the game, but the fortress shield's icon is the only one of them that fits.
    Post edited by Zanian on
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakFredjoSCARY_WIZARD
    It kinda looks like a spaceship too :)
    ZanianCrevsDaakFredjo
    Most of the shields in the game look kind of sci-fi-ish. Except maybe the Drow Shield (tribal) and the Dragon Scale shield (ehm... head of dragon. And also the last thing I'd ever try to recreate ^^).
    There's actually not a single "regular" medieval-looking shield in BG2 as far as I recall. BG1 is a different matter though.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2013
    I'd say the bucklers look kinda real but the larger shields really are quite ridiculous, the asymetric alienish shape of the medium shield is just silly.

The hammer looks pretty awesome, I wish I had a hammer like that for you know..."hammertime!" :D
    CrevsDaak
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    For some reason, the new title of this thread reminds me of this video. The Guy is being intentionally bad, BTW.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    I wanna see the Helmet of Glory (or any helmet with wings)
    CrevsDaak
    edited December 2013

It kinda looks like a spaceship too :)

Mon Calamari spaceships from Star Wars, mostly seen in Episode VI and in the ending of Episode V.
    And @LadyRhian somehow you post lots of random videos, and my deductions are 1)You spend lots of time in YT seeing random videos to post 2) You have a randomizer (as many people said before :P) and 3)Just random, all the time random.
    @CrevsDaak Nope. This is actually one of the channels I follow on YouTube, the Loading Ready Run channel, which is a Canadian Comedy Troupe whom I love to pieces. I have about 30 or so channels I follow, from news and political commentary to music vids made with Gary's Mod and similar. Like the "Boom de Yada Wow". I also get suggested a lot of things, like Watchmojo.com stuff. Some I watch, some I say, "eh." and move on. Very occasionally, I find a new interesting channel, like CGPGrey, made by an American teacher living in England.

This is amusing:
    CrevsDaaklaptopman666
    @LadyRhian well, I don't follow many things in Youtube, about those glitches, the one from GTA 4 is very known, I played that game in a friend's house and one of our hobbies in he game (besides using a bazooka inside and helicopter) was making the cars fly by that way :P
    And my aunt has a NES with Super Mario Bros, and the level -1 exists, but I prefer getting to world 3 level 1 by the other portals behind :D
    edited December 2013
    "SHAUNN!!!!!" so funny! lol!, that pokemon glitch had interesting uses, i would use it to dupe the master ball and the rare candies, therefore making me able to level any of the pokemon to the max level and have unlimited catching prowess (evil grin)
    The picture reminds me of "nope.avi" from Team Fortress 2.

edited January 2014
    I haven't made anything new in a while, so I figured I'd do a quick little classic. The Helm of Balduran:

It's an old helmet, so I made it look like it has seen quite some use. Still shiny though, because that's how I like it. :P
    Post edited by Zanian on
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakHeindrich