Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3 - What do you want out of this game?

Comments

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I think the big question is, what edition do we want it based on.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @IchigoRXC

WotC will probably tell us the edition that we want.
    NWN_babaYagapaulsifer42Talvrae
    That would be 5th then would it :P a bit of publicity and all that.
  • Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    We need : 1) a great story 2) NOT save the world 3) I want to go to WATERDEEP ! 4) IT HAS TO BE F*CKING HUGE.

I mean, the #1 thing about Baldur's Gate 2 is that it's damn huge. So we need BG3 to be DAMN HUGE. 200 hours of playtime. Tons of replayability. I'm ready to work with them to make this happen. (I'm in the business too. xD ) But it has to be really, really damn huge. It won't make any sense if it's not damn huge.
    Talvraepaulsifer42Xavioria
  • kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
    Any new storyline we might want would have to tie in with the lore about Faerun which has already been published.

I am not up to date with everything that has happened in Faerun but am aware of a few storylines having read some of the Forgotten Realms novels:

1. Rebirth of Lolth and the renewed threat of the drow and the Underdark.
    2. Return of the Netheril archwizards.
    3. The return of the phaerimm.

There is so much lore that can be used for Baldur's Gate III from just those 3 major events in Faerun's timeline. The Underdark had already been dealt with in Neverwinter Nights but the other 2 topics have not been dealt with in any game recently as far as I am aware.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    I'd like a 2nd Edition ruleset game, and how's this? Do is it even have to be set in Faerun? There are tonnes of interesting settings that could be drawn from: Birthright, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, or for something trully dark and edgy how about Ravenloft? That way you can have a completely fresh experience, you are essentially able to start fresh, and explore a whole new world. It would replicate that exhiliration of playing the first Baldur's Gate for the first time...
    Just as an addendum I love Faerun, but it doesn't HAVE to be set there, and obviously it couldn't be called Baldur's Gate!! :p
  • Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    Well the thing Baldur's Gate is very good at, is to tell a story in a universe that doesn't care about this story. In most fantasy books or games, everything turns around your story. In BG2, nobody gives a damn about Irenicus. It creates a sense of "travel" - the feeling that people around you were here before, will be there after and doesn't care about what you're doing. That's part of the awesomeness IMO.

(It HAS to be in Faerun. Because it's an awesome universe *-* )
    paulsifer42
    Papy_Silk said:

This. I absolutely love Faerun. Eberron or Dragonlance or Ravenloft have never brought me the same interest at all even though they have some great lore of their own.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Yeah, I kinda want to go Waterdeep to, but what I really want is to go to different types of kingdoms. I want to go to an all Dwarven kingdom and have more interesting member races like Kinders that are pretty immune to fear and have sticky fingers.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    wariisop said:

Yeah, I kinda want to go Waterdeep to, but what I really want is to go to different types of kingdoms. I want to go to an all Dwarven kingdom and have more interesting member races like Kinders that are pretty immune to fear and have sticky fingers.

there is no Kinders in FR thouse are Dragon Lance exclusive
    @Papy_Silk & @kunjal29 Just out of curiosity how much of your enjoyment of such an awesome universe came from Baldur's Gate? The one thing I always miss was that first playthrough discovering the world and it's history, and I can only replicate that by playing in new lesser known worlds.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Papy_Silk said:

Well the thing Baldur's Gate is very good at, is to tell a story in a universe that doesn't care about this story. In most fantasy books or games, everything turns around your story. In BG2, nobody gives a damn about Irenicus. It creates a sense of "travel" - the feeling that people around you were here before, will be there after and doesn't care about what you're doing. That's part of the awesomeness IMO.

I'd never thought of this, but it's true. No one has any idea what you're doing, and they shouldn't. It makes it more real.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Things I want:

1: PC only with maybe tablet and phone playability.

2: Multiple parties and multiplayer

3: A toolset to make your own custom classes, world/story, spells, characters.

4. Multiplayer in which to run this world.

5: Much better multiplayer support cause lets face it multiplayer enhances the life span of a game a hundred fold especially when playing with friends.
    phone? really?
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    playing on a phone in a subway?
    simply let's face it, phone screeens are really small how you will navigate and use tactics on such a small screen, tablet i can see it but phone, it will be unplaable i think
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    Now that the character is a god people will definitely know what he/she is doing. Average peasant farmer in Waterdeep may not know, but the powers that be would. Other gods would know. It just doesn't suspend disbelief that an ascendant god could have another adventure the size of BG2 without LOTS of important characters being involved. This would change the history and not be allowed.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Made for PC and ported to the Xbox (360, or next generation), because I don't like worrying about if my rig will run it.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    They don´t need to do BG3. Why not starting a new series? New game from Faerun. There is no rule that you can´t visit same locations or meet same people used in BG/IWD. They are done, will be enhanced in the following years, but let´s start new story.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Bhaalspawn saga is clearly over. So that can't have anything to do with the plot.

Also, I'm not sure if they even could get WOTC licensing at this point, which means they'd have to use the same ruleset as Baldur's Gate 1+2 (as far as I'm aware, whichever company lost the rights to D&D but kept the Baldur's Gate license, so they could keep making D&D games only if they were Baldur's Gate... Hence the Dark Alliance games, lol).

So... Same universe, obviously same setting (otherwise there wouldn't be any point to calling it Baldur's Gate), same ruleset...

I think the obvious plot for BG3 is following Tiax's ascent to world domination.

I think the obvious plot for BG3 is following Tiax's ascent to world domination.

I think this guy/gal may have just nailed it.
    @Samiel

My first introduction to the Forgotten Realms was with the SSI Gold Box adventure games which I played in the early 1990s. So it was much before Baldur's Gate.

The Baldur's Gate series of games was in my opinion the peak of the AD&D CRPGs in terms of story and hours of content and playability. Neverwinter Nights tried to improve the genre with a proper 3d engine and graphics and while it was a great game, it never came close to BG2 in my mind at least. Bioware's attempts after that to make a compelling RPG have progressively gotten 'worse' starting with Dragon Age.

There is so much more to the lore and history of the Forgotten Realms than any one game can cover so it is always a process of discovery for me in any new game. The setting of the Baldur's Gate games as the aftermath of the Time of Troubles when the gods were stripped of their godhood and cast down onto the mortal plane is just a small part in the lore but its effects brought us a great game.

Currently, as I mentioned in my earlier post, there are plenty of opportunities to tell a new story with everything that is happening on Faerun. So I believe my enjoyment will remain even if we remain in the same universe. History is always being written by new heroes :)

• AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited July 2012
    New shiny engine, or infinity with some redone source art ... still 2d iso but sure a new engine, pathfinder liscence but set in the forgotten realms :D ... perhaps some level 1- 18 ish massive 350hr campaign set in the aftermath of BG lol NO PROBLEM RIGHT?!?! Fully voiced, every 2 bit npc everything! Turn based combat like ToEE. I want a physics engine so when horrid wilting turns some poor fool to dust his ashen remains are blown about by my wind elemental and folks sent flying by bullrush looks cool and CRITICAL HITS are JAW DROPPING! WILL SOMEONE SAVE THE CHILDREN, AHHH COVER THINE EYES!! (yeah that critical hit should make the game of thrones producers blanche) and it should be really easy to track a vampire after it feeds(look at the mess on this here floor Jaggo!). Massive character customization + magic item crafting, I want to draw scars on my character's face myself uhhh, put coloured enamel coat of arms and crests on my full plate etc. A critical point here, at least one part of the game has to have a bit of sandboxyness. Sequel/s is epic level Spelljammer!! GO FORTH MAN AND WITH RIGHTEOUSNOUS!! I want a lot more than this even ... but for the sake of brevity I WANT IT ALL! ... along with the usual nice story yep...
    I definitely want 2Ed rules for rolls but everything else can go to 3.5Ed rules for the rest of the game. I want all the cool skills that existed in IWD, including Master two weapon fighting.
    You want TAC0 and feats? how does that work.... and well TACH0 was probably the worst thing about 2nd edition, being uselessly complicated
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Dwarven cities. Lots of them.
    @Talvrae, no just the rolls for the character creations, the rest of it could go.
    @wariisop Well, in the PnP rules thouse rolls are still there, i think it was cut off the video game for ballance issues
    @Samiel

My first introduction to the Forgotten Realms was with the SSI Gold Box adventure games which I played in the early 1990s. So it was much before Baldur's Gate.

The Baldur's Gate series of games was in my opinion the peak of the AD&D CRPGs in terms of story and hours of content and playability. Neverwinter Nights tried to improve the genre with a proper 3d engine and graphics and while it was a great game, it never came close to BG2 in my mind at least. Bioware's attempts after that to make a compelling RPG have progressively gotten 'worse' starting with Dragon Age.

There is so much more to the lore and history of the Forgotten Realms than any one game can cover so it is always a process of discovery for me in any new game. The setting of the Baldur's Gate games as the aftermath of the Time of Troubles when the gods were stripped of their godhood and cast down onto the mortal plane is just a small part in the lore but its effects brought us a great game.

Currently, as I mentioned in my earlier post, there are plenty of opportunities to tell a new story with everything that is happening on Faerun. So I believe my enjoyment will remain even if we remain in the same universe. History is always being written by new heroes :)

Ahh yes the ssi gold boxes, I played the Dragonlance ones. I'd be happy enough with another Forgotten Realms title, but it's not exactly the only campaign setting out there. I do not see why the idea of giving another setting a shot is so abhorrent. It worked after all with Planescape: Torment. In fact going for something entirely new will free any new title of too many direct comparisons, especially if the tone and theme of the game is different.

I also wouldn't write off the Time of Troubles as some small part of the lore. It was after all the in-universe explanation for the switch from 1st Ed AD&D to 2nd. Assassin's are gone in 2nd as a class is precisely beause the god of murder is gone (quite clever that I thought!). In fact I'd say the Time of Troubles are Faerun's War of the Ring. It's the biggest most recognisable part of the lore.

I am not against The Forgotten Realms in any way, it is an awesome setting, and I think DDO missed a trick by not using it. I just happen to think it would be unwise to reject some of the other great settings out of hand either.