Skip to content

What was your biggest 'wtf' moment in any of the Forgotten Realms setting games? (MAJOR SPOILERS!)

Mine would be either in Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights:Shadows of Undrentide, so if you don't want to know what happens, DON'T READ ON :P

Icewind Dale: When Everard sacrifices himself and replaces Jerrod in the portal.
Shadows of Undrentide: When Drogan sacrifices himself to get you through the portal, followed by the revelation of Heurodis.

So basically, add a portal gateway to a soupson of sacrifice and I'm sold :D

What about you? When did you go 'what the b'jesus' during a Forgotten Realms campaign?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Forgotten realms specific:
    In bg2 when you are doing Jan's questline, and the Hidden reveals his true identity
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Firkraag.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Can't choose one. There are so many good ones.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    picking up carsomyr without a paladin in the party :( also the first attempt on a dragon that resulted in an instant death for the party
  • When I finaly got within the walls of the FAI (for the first time), exhausted and near-dead and got one-shotted, thanks bro....
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    My first time playing ToB Ascension, the final battle. Didn't convince Sarevok OR Bodhi to join me, and Imoen was a member of my party. So, basically, I went from being on more or less even terms with the final boss party to being woefully outnumbered.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    Many games, many moments, but in Forgotten realms specific ones:
    BG1. Finding out I am a Bhallspawn and what that means. It was a moment of WTF! I thought of many many things but not THAT!
    BG2: Finding out Imoen is my sister. Again I was left, WAIT WHAT?!

Realms wise in general my biggest WTF moment was in War or the SpiderQueen book series with Gromph Baenre fighting Ancient Lich-king Dyr and his eventual "victory" (those who red the books understand what I am talking about).

Out of the realms and from all games I ever played biggest WTF moment was SW:KOTOR finding out I am Revan.

And most emotional moment from all games is without a doubt Mordin Solus sacrifice to cure genophage and singing on top of Shroud tower in ME3 (With death of Sarah from Last of us comming in close second).

There are a lot more of WTF/emotional moments from many games but this are my top of the tops.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Neverwinter Nights:
    - My biggest WTF moment I had was when I saw the Orc models for the very first time. They were just... urgh! To be perfectly honest *all* models (plus their textures) within NwN were horrible, but none more horrible than those bloody hybrids of Care Bears and Gremlins!

• YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    ajwz said:

In bg2 when you are doing Jan's questline, and the Hidden reveals his true identity

Did I miss something...? I guess I'll be picking him up again.

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

ajwz said:

I don't remember this thing either. Could someone elaborate please?
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited November 2013
    Oh, dear... In the beginning of BG2, when Minsc refused to explain how he hid boo from Irenicus... (i have a dirty mind or what..).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    The first time I fired up Pool of Radiance: Ruin of Myth Down the drain. I went 'WTF???' Pretty much the only D&D or FR game that I have not played to completion (or in many cases repeatedly). I couldn't get past the first few hours due to the insane number of game breaking bugs and the really ugly game decisions that were made. It set the new bar for really poor games.

Or was that not what the OP meant by WTF moment?
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680

The first time I fired up Pool of Radiance: Ruin of Myth Down the drain. I went 'WTF???' Pretty much the only D&D or FR game that I have not played to completion (or in many cases repeatedly). I couldn't get past the first few hours due to the insane number of game breaking bugs and the really ugly game decisions that were made. It set the new bar for really poor games.

Or was that not what the OP meant by WTF moment?

I suspect that's not what the OP meant. Although that game was truly terrible. Took me about 6 years on and off to finally slog through it (with a walkthrough). And really it was just sheer bloody mindedness that drove me to actually finish it.

• FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    The first time i played Hordes of the Underdark and running into the plot twist. Really enjoyed that game.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Neverwinter Nights:
    - My biggest WTF moment I had was when I saw the Orc models for the very first time. They were just... urgh! To be perfectly honest *all* models (plus their textures) within NwN were horrible, but none more horrible than those bloody hybrids of Care Bears and Gremlins!

Pretty much all of the paper dolls in most of the games are questionable, but I agree the Orcs are the worst. In my PnP days, I used to play a Half orc that could pass as human. He played spy/assassin working variably for the party or anyone who paid enough money. He was good at blending into human society, but had a really nasty streak.

In NWN1/2, if you play a Half Orc, they are these big hulking obviously Orc types. And you don't have the option even to play one who isn't Lou Ferrigno on steroids (the guy who played The Hulk on the 70s TV show). Same with Halflings. If you wanted to play a portly 'Regis' type halfling, no luck. WTF???
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Felspawn said:

The first time i played Hordes of the Underdark and running into the plot twist. Really enjoyed that game.

As much as I loved Hordes of the Underdark overall, I couldn't stand the way the evil path handled the plot twist. The Valsharess, after taking the time to seduce me into helping her, and after my actions won the war for her, she immediately jumped to the conclusion that I was going to betray her after talking with Mephistopheles for all of two minutes. So laaaaaaaame. Also, why wasn't she a party member option?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Encountering Firkraag and other imposing monsters for the first time were more like "Oh, Sh*t!" moments for me. WTF moments were like meeting "Peter of the North," hearing tavern drunks vomit and then asking themselves when they last ate corn, and bandits bragging about their gaseous prowess.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    elminster said:

Messi said:

ajwz said:

Play with Jan in your party and you'll find out :)
    Hehe, that's the problem my last BG2 campaign was with Jan in my party, and I still don't remember that part. Though to be I don't remember much anything about what he said, or did, just turnips, turnips, turnips...
  • @Messi, there will probably be info on the Baldur's Gate wiki or Forgotten Realms wiki :)

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Messi said:

elminster said:

Messi said:

ajwz said:

Play with Jan in your party and you'll find out :)
    Hehe, that's the problem my last BG2 campaign was with Jan in my party, and I still don't remember that part. Though to be I don't remember much anything about what he said, or did, just turnips, turnips, turnips...
    Jan as a character is really deep and his plot line is genuinely one of the most emotional and best written for all the original charaters in bg2.