Skip to content

Complete newcomer

2»

Comments

• FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    CrevsDaak said:

Foune said:

Dosn't Shar-Teel have like 9 constitution for something? Sounds like a kinda squishy tank if you ask me :S

Kagain is a great tank, meaning he will never die, you've already played through Nashkel mines so you can't get montaron but he is otherwise pretty suitable for tanking, and if you want a good tank you can try Yeslick, he does things pretty decent.

10 HP per level up, not enough?? you wanting MORE?? Awful, to have more you'll need less before because you'll need to handle me some.
    That's if you successfully roll 10 on every level, she has no modifier so she has a minimum of 1 hp per level, so yeah I'd kinda need a higher minimum to make her useful, take someone like Kagain for example, with a 20 con he has a roll of 6-15 HP per level, with that high minimum I can work with throughout the game
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Foune said:

CrevsDaak said:

Foune said:

Dosn't Shar-Teel have like 9 constitution for something? Sounds like a kinda squishy tank if you ask me :S

Kagain is a great tank, meaning he will never die, you've already played through Nashkel mines so you can't get montaron but he is otherwise pretty suitable for tanking, and if you want a good tank you can try Yeslick, he does things pretty decent.

10 HP per level up, not enough?? you wanting MORE?? Awful, to have more you'll need less before because you'll need to handle me some.
    That's if you successfully roll 10 on every level, she has no modifier so she has a minimum of 1 hp per level, so yeah I'd kinda need a higher minimum to make her useful, take someone like Kagain for example, with a 20 con he has a roll of 6-15 HP per level, with that high minimum I can work with throughout the game
    Difficult Normal??? Huh?? Just change it before leveling up, and change it again to Core Rules or whatever you use. That's easy cheese man!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    imageLevel 21 Swashbuckler, created in ToB with BG1 Tomes, very OP for a thief :D The Swashbuckler is the Cheesiest thief ever, and with Dual-Class... :D You'll get OP.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    CrevsDaak said:

Difficult Normal??? Huh?? Just change it before leveling up, and change it again to Core Rules or whatever you use. That's easy cheese man!

Yup, that's exactly what I do. Playing with 1-2 hp per level makes the game nearly impossible on harder settings. You shouldn't be one-shottable at level 8, not even a mage. Someday I'll do a challenge run where everyone is stuck with the hp they get.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

CrevsDaak said:

Yup, that's exactly what I do. Playing with 1-2 hp per level makes the game nearly impossible on harder settings. You shouldn't be one-shottable at level 8, not even a mage. Someday I'll do a challenge run where everyone is stuck with the hp they get.
    I like one of the tweaks (I forget where, maybe it's in tweakpack?) that guarantees HP rolls in the upper half of the bracket but still leaves the randomness. That way you're not totally screwed if you get some bad rolls but it keeps some of the original flavor.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53

CrevsDaak said:

It's not so bad really, I playthrough like that all the time, it just means that I want at least someone with 16+ con in the frontlines, the minimum roll with 16-18 con for a fighter is pretty good (minimum roll for 3-5) so you'll rarely be stuck with bad hp for them. At high levels your mages shouldn't be oneshottable even by this, maybe 2-3 shottable but I always run around with stoneskin and an armor spell on them so I never have a problem with them dying.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    @Foune: Both Kagain and Shar-teel are good options. On one hand, Kagain looks great because he gets +5 HP/level over Shar-teel. On the other hand, Kagain gets hit more often because his AC is 3 points worse (unless you give him the Bracers of Dexterity). So while Kagain is a better tank, he's not a superior tank. Shar-teel is also way better at dealing damage.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    I used Shar-Teel all the time in vanilla because she had two pips in "large sword" and two pips in "small sword," (assuming you got her at level 2) so she could strap on a shield and end up with four pips in either sword type. Not to mention she has the most bad-ass voice set.

Now that she starts with only one pip in long sword and two pips in two weapon style, she's much more of a flavor choice and better as a dualled thief or two-weapon damage dealer. You can still use her as a tank with an eventual three pips in long sword, it's just not as natural.

Kagain is going to be using the Gauntlets of Dex if he's your tank, no question, while Shar-Teel needs neither those nor the Gauntlets of Ogre Power to be effective, but you'll want to stockpile potions of fortitude for the boss battles.