Skip to content

Do you suspect any of these NPC drive their wagons on the other side of the road?

13»

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Yes, very sure. Somewhere in Off Topic, one of the first long (and likely by now both closed and archived) discussions about same sex romances should be a link to the source/interview. I'm not certain, but I think @LadyRhian posted it/the topic.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Yes, very sure. Somewhere in Off Topic, one of the first long (and likely by now both closed and archived) discussions about same sex romances should be a link to the source/interview. I'm not certain, but I think @LadyRhian posted it/the topic.

oh, lol. I just checked out that thread. Amazingly it is still open. He does say that bigotry exists in certain regions, but that generally it was not considered a big deal.
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72

Delvarian said:

I think Garrick has had asexuality forced upon him by society due to the fact that no one neither homosexual or heterosexual would sleep with him.

I think you mean celibacy, which is a considerably different thing to asexuality.
    Indeed. Complete sexual rejection by the entire sentient populace does not make one asexual, it merely makes one bitter and resentful. Trust me, I'm an expert.

Back on the Edwin thing though, I still think there's a case for him being a self-hating, closeted gay man. The vague boasts of past sexual conquests sound like a smokescreen and even the past fling could have been an attempt to convince himself. I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but if he's NOT a bitter closet case, he's a borderline abuser who avoids the many beautiful women he travels with in favour of vulnerable, submissive girls and prostitutes.

I don't think there is a "closet" in this setting. There is no bias or prejudice against non-straight people anywhere, and therefore, no reason to hide anything or a social standard to conform with. Any NPC being in the closet would be like us in the real world being in the closet about liking apples better than oranges. No-one cares; either fruit and even both are perfectly acceptable everywhere. I'm sure I read that Ed Green stated there is no prejudice about same sex attraction in the Forgotten Realms.

Interesting perspective... I must admit my personal lore score is pretty low, so I've mentally treated Faerûn as a pretty prejudiced, medieval type society. There are, however, mild references to sexuality based prejudice in the game... Nalia blushes and says something to the effect of "I wouldn't suggest anything so... scandalous" if you, as a female fighter PC, suggest a "marriage of convenience" following her stronghold quest, implying that the nobles at least would disapprove. Still, the various NPCs' easy acceptance of the game's possible same-sex romances now makes a lot more sense to me :)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

oh, lol. I just checked out that thread. Amazingly it is still open. He does say that bigotry exists in certain regions, but that generally it was not considered a big deal.
    Hey, it sounds just like the real world. Imagine that? :P
    O.o I expected it to be closed after the (usually inevitable) flame start around page 3 in such topics. Anyway, I don't think minor regional bias would create the social construct of a closet, especially among travelling adventurers and bigger cities that see many visitors from other places. Probably more like "heavy metal fans worship the devil" is a minor regional bias in some rural areas, but no big deal to anyone else, if they like heavy metal or not.
    ...but what if I do worship Satan...?

Then you are entitled to 1 free Slayer album of your choice on iTunes. Congrats!
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279

Then you are entitled to 1 free Slayer album of your choice on iTunes. Congrats!
    It's not free if it costs you your soul!
    Wolk said:

*gingers need not apply, accessories sold separately, batteries not included
    Wolk said:

What a small price for becoming a real life Blackguard.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Selling your soul is like one of those choices you get in RPGs where you can take the high ground for no mechanical benefit or go darkside for sweet lewts.