Skip to content

What would your Non-Adventurer job in the Baldur's Gate world be?

Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
I could see myself running a bookshop in BG city, probably good hours, lots of time for coffee and catching up on Volo's latest 'travel guide', read up on the latest lore, perhaps pick up a new cantrip or two. At the end of the day, lock up shop and swing by the Three Kegs and kick back a few. A weekly pilgrimage to the Undercellar would be a must, for err, research purposes. My what a boring existence that would be, but it beats getting slimed by a mustard jelly. Holidays would be spent helping out at the archeological site to excavate abandoned crypts (as the safest way to riches is to loot the already dead... So long as they aren't undead....).
Post edited by Space_hamster on

Comments

• seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    That's a tough call... Hopefully there would the option for having a sugar daddy? I dunno, I'd think I'd probably be stuck as a scribe. Scribe, god just the word itself is boring enough to put me to sleep.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Space Hamster: Hmm, I kind of like what you've written there. It sounds nice...Damn, how I wish to live in a Fantasy world...
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    I'd probably study magic. "So... you'd be a Mage? Like, as in, one of the character classes in the game?" you ask. "I think you're kind of missing the point, Miles."

But no! I am not. I wouldn't be a travelling mage all sacking dungeons and blowing up ogres. I wouldn't be an adventurer mage. I'd just want to study the stuff.

Especially since there are so many nifty little spells that suck in BG but would be great in real life. Got a date or job interview? All you have to do is cast Friends and Strength and you'll be the most attractive man there! Worried about security? Cast Detect Evil before you go to bed! Those robbers and assassins will have no idea how you saw them coming! Infravision makes nighttime like daytime! Got a roach infestation? Not after a good Burning Hands spell, you don't!

I find it funny how the best spells in BG are ones that you probably would rarely use in the course of daily events. A Fireball spell, for example, just seems like a terrible idea in almost any social situation.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I'd be a bard. Just wandering tavern to tavern playing my songs and telling my stories.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I would love to be the innkeeper of a very loved inn or tavern. See adventurers come and go, share their tales of magic and bizarre friendships ("And that's how we recruited our half doppleganger-chicken in our party!" ) while being always in a cozy and warm place as a local band plays flute, drums, strings and whichever other instrument there was. Now, me being a big guy I'd see that tavern brawls would be absolutely prohibited. With me tossing people out of the doorway. Or maybe just recruiting Arkanis Gath as my personal sidekick XD
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Layabout son of a wealthy merchant, probably, up until some asshole adventurer inevitably blustered through our house, killed everybody, and took all our stuff searching for the hilt of a legendary sword he can put back together. THEN I would become an adventurer myself, hungry for revenge.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd likely be like Davaeorn's brother "The Surgeon" who walks the lands healing the people he encounters.. one of the closest thing to a doctor in that game.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I would work as store clerk under Thalantyr, until some adventurer comes along and brings back that idiot that turned himself into a chicken.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Something like herborist i guess
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    A shrubber.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    The daily duty of an executioner:D
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    This is a world filled to the brim with orcs, goblins, drow, golems, werewolves, dragons, demons, dark gods, and countless other beasties devoted solely to ruining everyone else's day. On the off chance I survived long enough to get a job, I'd probably try to sell anti-anxiety potions to all the random peasants who know that each day will likely end with them in the belly of something from the monster manual. Seems like you could make a killing in that market.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Delvarian said:

A shrubber.

Bring me.... a SHRUBBERY!

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited July 2012
    I'm afraid if i were the real me in Baldur's Gate, I'd be a scared, frightened and confused beggar on the street. It would be hard to have the quality of life (or at the least, an aproximation of quality) without mental healthcare, medicins, social security. It's an oversight in creating Fantasy Worlds usually to think about things such as healthcare, caring for the sick, the disabled, the poor. It's one of those things that makes, or rather made, western european 20th/21st century society good to live in. I can't think of any other society where people like my would be able to prosper, living meaningful lives with enough support to be able to function in daily care of themselves and a volunteer's job without having to worry about starvation, or being locked away.

But maybe I have too dark view of the past. There probably was a lot of family support for the handicapped.

@millardkillmoore: well, maybe you would have an anti-depressant potion for me to make life bearable. I'd surely buy that anti-anxiety potion as well!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I would run a tavern.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I would be a miniature giant space hamster.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    I'd probably turn out to be the town drunk :(

But in all seriousness, I would study magic like @MilesBeyond
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    LREC said:

I'd probably turn out to be the town drunk :(

But in all seriousness, I would study magic like @MilesBeyond

héhéhé I probably as well as being an Herborist be a student of the Shadow Wave
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I would be a street-sweeper in Throne of Bhaal, with all the loot we ignore there you could make a small fortune in just a few days, XD!
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    I would most likely end up in the thieves guild. I love climbing walls and hangin out on the roof at night.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'd be a scribe working in Candlekeep. Or Scribe to Elminster. (IRL, I work in a library). When not working, I'd just read. Perfect life.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I would own a pub/bar, the stories warriors would tell could be awesome.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I would sell healing potions in a smaller town where they would be needed the most.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I've actually thought about this off and on, and I'd love to be a blacksmith.

Nothing like perfecting your craft and gaining a reputation for it. Perhaps some off-the-wall adventurers would come to my forge to see if I could make something useful out of a fang or hide of some beastie they slew. Believe me, I would not be content just making mundane arms and armor.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Definitely either a mage, or if that's not possible, a tavernkeeper who's his own best customer. No way in hell am I gonna be sober in Forgotten Realms without some sort of power to protect my fragile butt.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    I'd be like Galileus...gazing.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Flashburn said:

I've actually thought about this off and on, and I'd love to be a blacksmith.

Nothing like perfecting your craft and gaining a reputation for it. Perhaps some off-the-wall adventurers would come to my forge to see if I could make something useful out of a fang or hide of some beastie they slew. Believe me, I would not be content just making mundane arms and armor.

I used to think the same thing, then I (never completed) a set of chainmail armor and reallized how hard it is.
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    I'd perform in terrible plays in the basement of the Five Flagon Inn. Maybe as a understudy.