Skip to content

What would your Non-Adventurer job in the Baldur's Gate world be?

2»

Comments

• cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    A blacksmith or an actor at Five Flagon Inn.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'd probably end up doing the same thing as now, patching people up after usually silly accidents.

"Sit still, you've had a potion these stitches will still hurt. Now why did you get into fight with that ogre? You were trying to take his belt? Doesn't sound like a very good idea."

"Some guy at the inn said it was his belt? Did he have a receipt or proof of ownership? I don't think the pugilistic recovery of stolen leather goods is your forte, perhaps you should consider blacksmithing"
    Space_hamsterseekaTalvraeoldsch00l
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    Being a beat cop in the docks district on graveyard shift would be a thankless job. Conversely, being a grave digger in the grave district would seem to a profitable job, providing one doesn't have aversion to disturbing the undead... An oxymoron? The undead are already disturbed.

Alternatively, the life of a carnie seems viable in the realms, indicative from the traveling circuses in both games, with the fringe benefit of befriending rich and powerful djinn.
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    I would be a Wizard merchant dabbling in textiles most likely...I have knack for mercantile in pnp
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @gmazca Hello, Biff! ;)

@space_hamster And you gotta watch out for those rampaging basilisks!
  • AtlanticAtlantic Member Posts: 44
    Is being a noble a job? More seriously, I probably would end up as some dirty peasant tilling my field, running from bandits and living in constant fear of the Drow or some other nasty thing coming up and eating me ;)
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Another possibility: selling "So I kicked him in the head until he was dead!" t-shirts to BG tourists!
    Atlanticdiggerb
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    My profession in a world with insane mages, godchildren, ettins, trolls, elves, ogres, kobold assassins, half dragon sorcerers and other horrible creatures?

Full-time corpse, that's what I'd be.
    NWN_babaYaga
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Spectator Beholder :)
    rage at adventurers when they shatter my world w/ their "chest opening" skills
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    Drugar said:

Full-time corpse, that's what I'd be.

Ah, Undead work? I hear the crypts in the mountains offer good benefits; must be a self-starter, independent work, danger pay for defending against grave robbers.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Ah, Undead work? I hear the crypts in the mountains offer good benefits; must be a self-starter, independent work, danger pay for defending against grave robbers.

Does the job offer good benefits? Sexy lady zombies? I'm in! I hope those grave robbers bring some braaaaains....

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Hm, I realised "tourist" just isn't a job in anyone's universe. Field Cartographer would be a lot of fun.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Offering various magical Services to others :D
  • BLack_XIIIBLack_XIII Member Posts: 32
    Bard. Really, they've a lot of chicks!
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    I'm not sure I'd want a non-adventurer job. Though I might consider taking up the docks, trying to work on a ship, and maybe learn to become a smuggler or some such traveling the sword coast and beyond. Now that would be fun :)
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    I thought of that many times and i have many answers but my favourite:
    -Blacksmith- Basically everyone respects you if you are the best, you can get drunk or high and do your own thing all the day without other people bothering you if you are innkeeper for example. And your consitution and strength stats are much better then everyones else (aside from adventures).
    -Lich which can polymorph at will to gravedigger - you exist and deal with death yet you control time and decay. You wanted become immortal and now you deal with people who died and can resurrect them to your cause in some hidden crypt).
    -Beholder which is like a leader of cult (aka bg2 temple district) - who says leader is not a job? Leading lot of people, the all seeing eye: same as with real life : SCR,National Bankers aka leading people in the world.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2012
    A hunter and part time weaponsmith who also dabbles in writing the best selling novel series Tales of the Sword Coast. No chance of being an adventurer here :P
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83

A hunter and part time weaponsmith who also dabbles in writing the best selling novel series Tales of the Sword Coast. No chance of being an adventurer here :P

Damn hunter :D.. awesome job wonder why never though of that.
    But what you gonna hunt? Whyverns?(they are too strong), and what is the average life-span of a hunter :D?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Drugar said:

Does the job offer good benefits? Sexy lady zombies? I'm in! I hope those grave robbers bring some braaaaains....

I'm sure you'll get a piece of... something. ;)

• raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2012
    I'd be a "crime scene cleaner", i mean all those heroes that kill so many creatures just to let them rot on the ground is bad for the environment. My caravan would just travel around Amn to sweep those dead bodies out of the way :) And i'd probably have 2-3 charmed goblins (well my father was a mage, not of a great skill, and passed me some of his teachings, like Charm spell) to help me :) Of course, paid by the king.
    Post edited by raclariu on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

That sounds suspiciously like an adventurer! You just stay away from my family's manor and the valuable possessions contained therein, you possibly-adventuring scum!

My father will hear of this.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2012
    Well, in pre-industrial neolithic societies about 90% of people were subsistence farmers, so that's most likely the job we'd all end up with (like it or not, most likely not). You know, living to the ripe old age of 30 and dying from a broken leg, that kind of romantic life in harmony with nature.

Based on what little I know about the D&D universe, it's authors don't try to sweep this brutal fact under the rug when describing their world.

We have it good in this post-enlightenment, post-industrial world. Unlike in other times, we can more-or-less freely choose our occupation in life.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    DiscoCat said:

Well, in pre-industrial neolithic societies about 90% of people were subsistence farmers, so that's most likely the job we'd all end up with (like it or not, most likely not). You know, living to the ripe old age of 30 and dying from a broken leg, that kind of romantic life in harmony with nature.

Based on what little I know about the D&D universe, it's authors don't try to sweep this brutal fact under the rug when describing their world.

We have it good in this post-enlightenment, post-industrial world. Unlike in other times, we can more-or-less freely choose our occupation in life.

The Sword Coast is a bit more Renaissance era than that, where most people are still serfs, but there is also a fairly large merchant class.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    Male prostitute.

I'm a fine looking strumpet, aren't I?
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53

Male prostitute.

I'm a fine looking strumpet, aren't I?

You are, you certainly are.

For me, I'd be a merchant in Trademeet, nothing special, just common household goods. Probably the most contented you could hope to be in a place like Faerun, in charge of a quiet, yet profitable business in a beautiful town.