Skip to content

Dorn Romance bug? (BGII:EE spoilers)

KefkaKefka Member Posts: 46
We sparred, he said I was attractive, eventually had sex, but then he said I was a poor leader and attacked me. He changed his mind and rejoined (actually didn't leave the party), but he hasn't mentioned the romance since. The variable DORNROMANCEACTIVE is set at 1, and DORNLOVETALKS is 17. Is everything alright or is this a bug? Does he always complain like that? My reputation was actually really low at the time.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes, that event is meant to happen.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The 'poor leader' seems to be part of his quest dialogues rather than his romance ones. It was a bit immersion breaking when it happened to me too, but I guess it is Dorn so violent mood swings seem par for the course.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Nope, it's definitely a part of his romance!
    Okay, that's just a bit weird then =P

Oh, Dorn. Sigh.
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Kefka said:

We sparred, he said I was attractive, eventually had sex, but then he said I was a poor leader and attacked me. He changed his mind and rejoined (actually didn't leave the party), but he hasn't mentioned the romance since.

Sounds fine to me. Still a better love story than Twilight.
    I hope nobody expected Dorn to get all mushy and start talking about his feelings ;)
    LiamEsler said:

I hope nobody expected Dorn to get all mushy and start talking about his feelings ;)

I have to confess I was a tad worried, but fortunately my fears were unfounded!
    I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has! I had a ton of fun working with Andrew and Phil putting together the Dorn, Hexxat and Rasaad romances. It was awesome.
    @LiamEsler: Well, my one feedback so far is that I really like it, but the scene where he suddenly questions your leadership seemed really out of place to the point where I thought it was a different conversation track. It fit neatly into his quest-line to do with Ur-Gothoz and his feeling trapped, but I thought it felt pretty out of place in terms of the romance progression since by that point you've already slept together, perhaps especially since there were no dialogue options I could see that indicated this fact at all. One other small critique is that i felt his first romance conversation, when he says you make a good pair, seemed to trigger awfully fast after I picked him up. It felt a bit out of the blue at the time, even though we'd obviously fought together through BG1. (On that note, I like that he gave Tazok a verbal beatdown about having beaten him once already.) (I also liked that after Charname has sex with Dorn the first time, Hexxat comments that she thought you had better taste, and then a few days later starts trying to hit on Viconia. Viconia seems to be vaguely warming up, but that's probably just Hexxat's per day casts of Domination. But if that actually goes anywhere the only person in my party not getting any will be Edwin. Poor Edwin.) XP

I really like that several of the Dorn romance conversations have been about him asking you what you intend to do with your heritage and what it means to you. It makes sense given his focus on power and his fascination with Charname due to his/her heritage and consummate skill at, well, Murder.

One of my favourite little conversations was when he tells you that you're now known as the 'Butcher of the Sword Coast', and you get a little snarky back-and-forth about maybe one day being as famous as he is.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @LiamEsler since you ask... :)

i agree with some of the points @Eudaemonium made, BUT on the other hand i think talks are a bit short, romance progress is too fast and there is nearly not enough material to elaborate on anything meaningful in regard to his relationship with PC. i feel like relationship kind of develops from nothing and continues to exists with no solid reason (or at least, power and sex reasons never evolve).

i agree talking about feelings too much would be perhaps out of character for dorn, but i feel a lot of dorn's quirks were just slightly touched upon but never really expanded. like trust issues, betrayal, loyalty, his personal history, more of opinions about future, some power unrelated stuff might be REALLY refreshing here etc.
    not to mention a missed opportunity to make dorn grow from simple desire for power grab into a more diabolical corrupting influence or something similar. he fails to learn despite his decent wisdom score i think.
    i didn't feel there was real conflict with PC and in the end i can safely say i have no idea who dorn is or what is his background (at least, i would have no clue if not for a short stories posted a while ago), i didn't get to know him at all and he is a romance option for a PC.

i liked the intensity with which he treats PC and in the end, despite him being evil he IS in a relationship and he seems to take it seriously, so some considerations are appropriate, no? especially if dorn likes/loves PC, since love does not need to be a redeeming force.

also, PC responses are great and dorn really deserved his charisma score, he is eloquent and pleasing in his own evil way.
    i guess i'm a bit disappointed with dorns romance for now, since it looks really promising and seems to show a lot of potential but never quite realizes it. dorn remains underdeveloped and a bit shallow. we'll see if TOB will change my mind.

on the end i really hope beamdog will expand upon NPC-s, or that some talented modder will decide to extend romance tracks.
    @trinit Play through ToB, then -- if you don't mind -- I'd love to hear your feedback there too, thank you! I really appreciate it. And @Eudaemonium, too!
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Getting mad and raging at you seems like good writing to me. After all, if he's feeling close to you, he'd probably be trying to distance himself.
  • AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    Loving the romance track so far! I was wondering if it was any different depending on the outcome of his personal quests, but considering

When Bodhi tried to steal him from me, she was unable to because of his patron...but in this playthrough I made him a Fallen Blackguard by killing both demons. So what patron exactly? o.o

I'm guessing not. Still enjoying it so far, and can't wait to see what happens in ToB.
    @Aramina That's definitely a bug -- I'll look into it, thank you! :D Glad you're having a good time!
    @LiamEsler Oh, well then...now I feel the urge to make a new game so I can see if it fixes itself. Hopefully it's just a save game quirk, because now I'm really curious to see what's supposed to happen.
    @Aramina I imagine it's probably a bug needing a patch to fix, unfortunately!
    @LiamEsler Ah well, I made a saved game before the big decision, so I guess I'll just have to swap to that one and pick door #2 until it's fixed :p I did think it was a bit odd that there seemed to be no mention of him losing his Blackguard status after the fact.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2013
    @LiamEsler I'm really enjoying the Dorn romance/quests in SoA--so much that I'm looking forward to going back and choosing different paths to see where they lead.

Since this thread is already titled "Dorn Romance Bug," I thought I would list some of the bugs/text edits that I've experienced thus far.

1. After the Simon and Garfunkel confrontation (LOL, btw), the journal update notification reads "CHARNAME - The clan is under attack," and then "Alorgoth sent me to gather his things : CHARNAME." I believe this is Rasaad's quest, although I haven't done it yet.

2. Just before Azothet appears, the game crashed (this happens the first time with any new dialogue, it seems, which is resolved by reloading the saved game).

3. In Azothet's first conversation with CHARNAME and Dorn, the game text says, "The Great Druid who drew the circles..." where the voice actor says "The Great Mage who drew the circles..." Since it's easier to change the text than to edit the voice recording, it should be changed to "Mage," although I think "Druid" seem much more appropriate, given that it's in a wilderness setting.

4. Ur-Gothoz appears after Dorn's initial conversation with Azothet, where he asks Dorn about how the line of communication was temporarily broken with him. In the following dialogue, Dorn's name is listed as the speaker in a line that is spoken in Ur-Gothoz's voice: "I assumed it was your doing." The name should be changed to Ur-Gothoz to reflect this (it was confusing at first).

5. The text dialogues could use a fine-comb editing, as there are a few typos here and there.

Again, I'm having a great time with the new dialogues, romances, and quests. I'm very pleased with BG2EE!
    Post edited by Mortianna on
    @LiamEsler will do! :)

and btw, are romance talks voiced at all? so far i've seen 2-3 talks voiced, others were silent. when dorn started talking there was only his random selection response and that was it. is this a bug...?
  • KefkaKefka Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    Wait, does Dorn have a quest in SoA other than the radiant heart priest thing? It's never triggered for me. Is there any way to make the quest appear with the console or shadowkeeper?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    trinit said:

@LiamEsler will do! :)

and btw, are romance talks voiced at all? so far i've seen 2-3 talks voiced, others were silent. when dorn started talking there was only his random selection response and that was it. is this a bug...?

Only a few talks are voiced, unfortunately.
    Kefka said:

Wait, does Dorn have a quest in SoA other than the radiant heart priest thing? It's never triggered for me. Is there any way to make the quest appear with the console or shadowkeeper?

Yes.
    It happens at least a week after you take care of the wedding. Make sure Dorn is at least level 12.
  • KefkaKefka Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    Jalily said:

Yes.

It happens at least a week after you take care of the wedding. Make sure Dorn is at least level 12.
    He's 14 and I've explored everything in Chapter 2. Is there any fix?

@Jalily

i'm sorry, but is there any good reason for not properly voicing romance talks? it seems to me that was one of the bare minimums to make new NPC's integrate seamlessly into bg2. i honestly thought it was some kind of a bug.
    Wait were all the original romance talks fully voiced? I thought the reason they hadn't fully voiced the new NPCs was to integrate them better with the old ones.
    @Eudaemonium no, i'm not talking about full voiceover for for every talk.
    every romance talk from old NPC's has voiced FIRST LINE of conversation (no exception). dorn doesn't, he (mostly) has selection response instead of voiced first line. so, we can't talk about proper integration.

i don't know how other new npc's fare in this area.
    That's pretty odd. I played through Dorn's romance and never actually noticed this. The main problem I had is that it plays the selection lines on top of the voiced line, which is pretty bizarre, but I thought the first lines were all voiced still =/ Guess I was wrong.
    really? can anybody confirm this? in three games i most of the talks i hear selection sound instead of voiced first line (if there is one). is that a bug or lack of voice-work?
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Hm.. I'm pretty sure he has a voiced line, but I'll have to monitor it more closely.
    @trinit Most of the talks I've had with Dorn, I hear both the selection sounds and the first voiced lines simultaneously. I'm sure it's probably a bug.
    @Jalily can i report a bug then? in most talks with dorn i do not hear properly voiced first line of conversation, just the selection sound. expected behaviour: voiced line should play properly when dorn initiates dialog.