Skip to content

Dorn Romance bug? (BGII:EE spoilers)

2»

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @trinit Not all dialogs have voiced lines. :) The romance talks are among them.
  • MelusineMelusine Member Posts: 1
    LiamEsler said:

I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has! I had a ton of fun working with Andrew and Phil putting together the Dorn, Hexxat and Rasaad romances. It was awesome.

I'm very much enjoying it, it would just have been nice to have some indication that this was 'expected behaviour'. When he suddenly turned on me I assumed that his quest to kill the Paladin had timed out (I had been kind of neglecting it) and I was all set to try and hack into the game file to re-set his quest timer!
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Aramina said:

@trinit Most of the talks I've had with Dorn, I hear both the selection sounds and the first voiced lines simultaneously. I'm sure it's probably a bug.

This seems to be the case with most dialogues now. Definitely happened with Imoen in Irenicus' dungeon
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I have had the same experience, with Dorn attacking my character name. It was resolved however, and he's back in his place, but it has been a long time since then and he hasn't triggered any dialogues with me. On one occassion his character dropped the move action I had given him, which I thought might be because he was automatically beginning an action to talk to my protagonist, but rather he just stood there. I wonder if that was a glitched attempt at the conversation, and now I'm stuck.
    Admittedly, we fought outside Spellhold and have since fallen into the Underdark, so perhaps it has something to do with location, or a trigger that I've missed? His quests are completed. Thank you in advance for any helpful assistance!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Just going to go ahead and slot this in here to promote the thread for @LiamEsler among others, although it is surely a nefarious and rude thing to do! :P

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25765/cluaconsole-setting-dorn-s-romance#latest

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated; I'm about to fight the penultimate big baddie of SoA and would quite like to get this to work before I do. :)
  • DunhartDunhart Member Posts: 11
    LiamEsler said:

I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has! I had a ton of fun working with Andrew and Phil putting together the Dorn, Hexxat and Rasaad romances. It was awesome.

I'd like to express disappointment with the fact that you can't soften up Dorn's outlook at all. Sure, not every romance has to turn into a lovey-dovey story of redemption, but, especially if you help him 'fall', it wouldn't really be out of place if he had some character development with his new-found freedom and discovered other reasons to wake up in the morning besides slaughtering everyone. If you could make him neutral or something, his personal quest in ToB could have been so much more interesting.

Also, playing a Good character but insisting on bringing him along causes some serious incongruity along the line. Admittedly, his initial quests are worked in such a way that only an evil character could realistically not end up turning him down or outright killing him, which I guess is supposed to be a roadblock of some sort; agreeing to go along with it would definitely push you towards neutrality/evil. If you stick with it, though, there appears to be no repercussions in any direction for otherwise being a good character who only does decidedly evil things with him. And if you answer his questions about your plans with Bhaal's heritage with meekness at every turn, he expresses disappointment, but it doesn't affect the romance any and he still thinks you'll be going on a rampage with him when you're done claiming your heritage. At some point the game seems to start assuming you're playing an evil character and every dialogue choice reflects this, basically goading him on. Even if Dorn must remain a blood knight (as in the character trope, not a class or anything) forever, it shouldn't be too hard to fathom a romance where the characters aren't necessarily into the same things. They could even reach some sort of a compromise, like real people sometimes do.

Another, unrelated gripe I have is with the epilogue. The god ending breaks all the classic romances as well, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise when it happened with him, but it really would have been nice for Dorn to get some epilogue that reflects the pact that you made if you were in a romance. Not that the mortal romance ending is particularly uplifting either. No happy endings for evil characters, I guess.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Sorry if I'm rambling.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2013
    Ok, then.
    I have a bug to report regarding Dorn's romance (SoA), too.

Dorn starts the "You(r?) constant supervision tires me, Bhaalspawn" dialogue.
    Then, no matter what I say, he appears to get mad at me and it looks like he wants to fight me.

The ring around his feet becomes red, and if I try to highlight is portrait, it shows a red outline.
    However, he doesn't leave the party and he doesn't attack me. He just kinda... stands there pouting.

If I kick him out of the party, he asks me to rejoin like nothing happened.
    I didn't want to save after this, because I was afraid it might mess up the romance.
    I didn't try killing and resurrecting him for the same reason.

I went to "The Consolidated Reported Issues Thread" to get answers, but all I got there is that it's part of the romance (rather than part of his personal quest) and that it is a reported bug with a number (6720 [DORN]). No thread link, no solution given. Help?
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    @Raistlin82, just hit him hard enough and he will be friendly again.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    @Vargnatt

Cool, thanks!

I hadn't tried that so far 'cause I was afraid that killing him would have put a strain in our relationship.

I guess it's not as big an issue as I thought.
    It's still annoying that he doesn't fight back, though.
  • ZanalinaZanalina Member Posts: 23
    Just a quick question regarding the Dorn romance. When completing in the Hell trials in BG2, if you choose the selfish path i.e. kill Dorn rather than lose your stats, does it kill the romance with Dorn? My global variable says it's still set to 2, but wasn't sure if there was another variable that might have killed it.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Sacrificing a companion is supposed to perma-death them. If it didn't, due to mods or difficulty (they don't perma-die below Core Rules), and you resurrect them the game carries on as if nothing happened.

That said, this will break any of the vanilla romances (Aerie, Anomen, Jaheira, Vico), since them dying kills the romance.
    edited December 2013
    Strange. I'm on core difficulty and don't have a single mod installed but Dorn didn't perma die. I will reload just in case it does kill the romance.
    @Zanalina: If you check the variables with the console, you can see. Type:

C:GetGlobal("DornRomanceActive", "Global")

If it returns the value '2', then you are fine. If it returns 3 then you are not fine.
    edited December 2013
    Hmm oddly enough it's set to 1! Which I assume is also bad! I don't know how it managed to do that. I guess a reload is in order.
    Edit: Hmm, funnily enough I had a save from BG2 just after I killed Dorn, the romance was still set to 2 at that point so I don't know if something happened between then and me importing into TOB that made it set to 1.
    Edit Edit: Reloaded to a quick save before my fight before Irenicus and it's set to 1. I honestly have no idea which of my choices would have made him set to 1 as he certainly didn't say anything about it. Guess I'll go the save route and do all the 'good' choices to be sure.
    Honestly I just redid the whole section and I really don't know what caused it to set to 1. I tried a couple of different outcomes just to test whether it was a certain decision that caused it but every time it stayed at 2. Not sure if it was just a random bug I ran into there.
    Sounds like a weird random bug :/ Very strange...
    So I finished TOB today and the epilogue didn't make any reference to mine and Dorn's relationship? Not sure what happened as I had all the dialogues i.e. Dorn and CHARNAME promised themselves to each other and that they'd assume power together. I don't know if that's intended but it deflated me a little bit that Dorn just goes on his merry way and dies without any intervention from the new CHARNAME God/Goddess! I have to say thought overall I really enjoyed his romance and didn't mind that he had a 'bad' ending but would have liked a bit more reference to the time we'd spent together!
  • Max_JazzMax_Jazz Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I'm interested in going through Dorn's romance but in BG I EE.
    Do any of you know some guide for it ? i've only seen guides for BG II EE romances.

At the moment my last conversation with him was me telling him " that i like him the way he is" , him considering a "perhaps" between me and him, and after that he did not start any other conversations.
    Is it the end of the romance for BG I EE ?

Also Naeera has already gotten a kiss from me. Does romance with her get in the way in BG I EE ?