Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition?

1235»

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    HotU and fan modules gave multiple AI-controlled companions, but no way to control them directly either simultaneously (BG-style) or one at a time (KotOR-style). That, to my mind, does not qualify as a party-based RPG, no matter how many companions you can have.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I'll argue that we have NWNEE, it was called NWN2!

I don't miss the original NWN campaign; as Trent says, the focus was on making the extensible game where the players could share their own content - it truly was the RPG for the social media age, perhaps a game ahead of its time?

NWN2 has a more polished presentation, the improved 3.5 rules, a rich array of NPCs and a campaign to take you from zero to maxed-out hero. It is a great game.

It might be interesting to see Shadows of Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark, rendered with the new rules and engine, or a modern social-media/sharing spark for the content creation in NWN2, but I think I might be more interested to see where Trent and crew can go with fully original content - maybe they can teach me to play 5th edition, just as NWN2 taught me 3.5?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @TrentOster -

Having cooked 7 years of my life into NWN, I'm painfully familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the title. We made key decisions on the title to favour the content creator and in some cases this actually hurt the final quality of the narrative experience we could create.

Thanks for dropping by! It's always great to hear stories about the development. I too think Neverwinter Nights-with-toolset is something very precious, and definitely something that set an example that other have not been able to get close to when it comes to the toolkit. I still hope that one day another developer will have both the means and the will to really go for the user content idea like you guys did back then sometime in the future (*totally-not-nudge-nudgeing-here* :P ).

I was hoping you could tell us some more about those compromises you had to make, though. I would be very interested in hearing more about the process from you (or any others).
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Thanks for the insight Trent - interesting to see hard numbers given for how this all works, or at least, worked back in the day.

One thing I remember fondly from the original NWN was that the patches kept pushing forward the envelope of what was possible, as from day 1 the game was about the engine - so you kept pushing out neat feature for the content creators, including graphical flourishes like the cloaks. When I think of a well-supported game, NWN remains my gold standard.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Oh my, just thinking about how patch 1.68 added visible cloaks still makes me tingly. And then along came the final patch, 1.69... :love:
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

Thanks for the insight Trent - interesting to see hard numbers given for how this all works, or at least, worked back in the day.

One thing I remember fondly from the original NWN was that the patches kept pushing forward the envelope of what was possible, as from day 1 the game was about the engine - so you kept pushing out neat feature for the content creators, including graphical flourishes like the cloaks. When I think of a well-supported game, NWN remains my gold standard.

Yes, a great thing about NWN was the huge support it had after release. Of course, the big success the game was had a lot to see with it, but still.
  • Ratibor92Ratibor92 Member Posts: 149
    So...no way to be continued?
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    The only thing I found to be bad about NWN is the rate of movement. Moving from one end of the map to the other was snooze inducing.
    Being 3D, however, stopped the background from being pre-rendered, and that made NWN a step down in terms of the sheer gorgeousness of the scenery that we got in BG.
    Other than that, the way it was so moddable made it superb as a game in its own right. NWN2 was several steps forward in terms of beautifying the game, but also several steps back in terms of the multiple spell effects killing the graphics card. When I play a fighter-mage in the game with all the buffs up and running, and with Sand and Elanee buffing everyone to heck, hoo-boy!
  • Ratibor92Ratibor92 Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2016
    AdaJ said:

The only thing I found to be bad about NWN is the rate of movement. Moving from one end of the map to the other was snooze inducing.
    Being 3D, however, stopped the background from being pre-rendered, and that made NWN a step down in terms of the sheer gorgeousness of the scenery that we got in BG.
    Other than that, the way it was so moddable made it superb as a game in its own right. NWN2 was several steps forward in terms of beautifying the game, but also several steps back in terms of the multiple spell effects killing the graphics card. When I play a fighter-mage in the game with all the buffs up and running, and with Sand and Elanee buffing everyone to heck, hoo-boy!

Perfect dream, about nwn Enhanced(perfect) edition?-)) Would like The story of the Hero of Neverwinter is extended, maybe in new quest? So What do you thik?