Skip to content

Mods available at launch

SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
edited August 2012 in General Modding
Hi,

Will any mods be available at launch? Or will we have to wait a few days/weeks/months/years so the old mods can be ported to BGEE? I ask because I'll preorder BGEE and play it at launch, and that's probably gonna be my only playthrough (I don't want to spend too much time on it ...), so It'd be nice if I could use a few mods.

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Weeks/months, depending on the mods' size.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    As they have stated that the game will contain all languages in one version, I imagine WeiDU will need an update and no mods will be available for BGEE until that has happened. In fact, for all we know, it may not even be possible for modders to start porting their mods until such time WeiDU has been updated.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Noooo! So I'll be playing with no XP cap remover after all.
  • SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
    That sucks. Couldn't the devs give access to a beta to the WeiDU people?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Good question to ask, smeuuh, I want to know the same. I'll try out BGEE out of curiosity straight away on the 18th of september, but I won't fully enjoy the game until I can put the BG1 NPC-project, SCS and Hard Times in my BGEE install. And if the tweaks I like don't get implemented in BGEE, BG2-tweaks, aTweaks and Rogue Rebalancing won't be made superfluous either. It would be nice if at least some of it would become superfluous, making the modding a less tedious proces. But these 6 (with Tutu and the fixpack which should become superfluous if Overhaul does it's work right) are the bread and butter of any of my BG1 campaigns.

Speaking of plural: are you sure you don't want to replay the game? Every BG fan I know has played the games more than once, even dozens of times. There's no game I know that has such a good replayability value.
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    Smeuuh said:

Even if that happened, further changes prior to first release will still potentially muck things up for modders. It remains to be seen what the devs plan to do post-release and how that will affect modders as well.

If you plan to play it once only with mods, then I believe you will set yourself up for disappointment, because: i) you won't play a stable modded game for at least a year; ii) when you do play a stable modded game, you will probably be interested in something else by then (or BG2EE).
  • tithintithin Member Posts: 31
    Smeuuh said:

Does Wesley Weimer even interact with the community anymore?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's maintained by The Bigg nowadays. Is he in these forums?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @mlnevese No, but he has been in contact with many of the betazoids.
  • tithintithin Member Posts: 31
    When did Weimer officially stop updating Weidu? Last time I was involved in the community, he was still active and working on icewind gate 2. Some time ago now..
    Think he got his doctorate or something and moved on. Its been quite a while now
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Cuv said:

Its been quite a while now

Heh, like seven years ago at least.
    weidu.org said:

WeiDU 185 (868K) . Download the last version of WeiDU compiled by Weimer.
    Last updated on Mon Jul 4 23:08:27 CEST 2005

But for that matter, I thought the bigg pretty much did the same, as he isn't anywhere near as active as he was before that (hardly active at all really). That's what happens though I guess.

@Ascension64 did a platform conversion utility a while back that (in theory) made Tutu/BG1 mods compatible with BGT. Theoretical mostly because a lot of work had to be done behind the scenes to make it work in reality. But it seems to me that sort of thing could work for enabling BG1/Tutu/BGT mods for BG:EE, because (and I know this from painful modding experience) it is always easier to make things upward compatible than downward compatible (trying to adapt BG2 scripting to BG1 is no joy, whereas the reverse is hardly an issue at all).
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Miloch - I think the_bigg is currently busy updating WeiDU... like, as we speak :)

@Miloch - I think the_bigg is currently busy updating WeiDU... like, as we speak :)

And cursing as he does it:D But don't really blame him, heh

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I thought curses were always part of the package...?
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Smeuuh: I expect the .2da files to still be present and work in the same manner, so removing the XP-cap will not be more difficult than writing a small text-file (though saving a text-file with a different extension in OSX Mountain Lion is a whole different category..., anyone any tips?).
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @Phyrax Does that run java applications? You can edit the 2DA in Near Infinity.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @lansounet: is there a Near Infinity for Mac OSX? Mountain Lion no longer supports PowerPC applications, so it will have to be a relatively new one..., or running in Java, because OSX runs Java (it's no iPad). When I played BG, I still had a Windows PC (Why? Why?!) and just edited the 2da files in NotePad (the best file-editor (excluding HEX-editors)). I do not expect the 2da file-structure to change, so finding 'old' 2da files on the web will be enough to allow for editing.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Phyrax
    NI as a Java application, so aside from "write once, test everywhere" it will run anywhere, including OSX.

As for changing the extension of a file, I imagine the mv shell command will work.