Skip to content

Enough of this gay banter... (Silly talk and other stuff)

CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
I just feel like there's a disappointing lack of banters for Rasaad with the rest of the cast, especially in ToB. I mean, Aerie would definitely be interested in hearing all about his philosophy, since Aerie is usually curious about everyone and everything around her... and is about the only one with the patience to listen to all of it.

And as Aerie is my favorite (sorry Im, but... let's face it, you're a pretty shallow character), she is a follower of Baervar and her favorite stories are about a raccoon who gets up to mischief and plays pranks on gods. It would be nice to show more of that light hearted, silly side of her personality as well. While Imoen would be the ideal candidate to help her get back in touch with her inner child and rebel, I expect Neera would work as well. IIRC, Aerie has holidays where she's supposed to play pranks on her friends... that should definitely be used somewhere.

I expect I'll think of more comments and stuff as I play through. Maybe in some places I feel the new NPC's could have done a little more to expand on sides of some of the old characters personalities we don't see so often, but at least I can share my imaginings here. There was something else I wanted to write here as well, but I forgot what it was... it'll come back, I'm sure.

NOTE: Any banters that follow this post are definitely not taken from the game, and are mostly intended just be fun and silly.
Post edited by Coutelier on

Comments

• SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    I'm confused. You're complaining about gay banter, but there's no mention of Dorn or Hexxat anywhere.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited November 2013

I'm confused. You're complaining about gay banter, but there's no mention of Dorn or Hexxat anywhere.

No, but... Aerie, Neera and Imoen... hmmm...

Anyway, it's a Monty Python quote.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    LOL! I agree with the content of your first post (i hope there could be more interractions and lines with others then..), but i was a little lost too /the title of the subject!
    I see now, k .. ;)
    Talking about Dorn or Monty Pythons..and now i am thinking about the Black Knight, arf.. i should not have opened that thread before leaving today arf..will have that image too in mind seeing Big Dorn now..and could be badly understood as well out of monthy context arf.. :)
    sunset00 said:

LOL! I agree with the content of your first post (i hope there could be more interractions and lines with others then..), but i was a little lost too /the title of the subject!
    I see now, k .. ;)
    Talking about Dorn or Monty Pythons..and now i am thinking about the Black Knight, arf.. i should not have opened that thread before leaving today arf..will have that image too in mind seeing Big Dorn now..and could be badly understood as well out of monthy context arf.. :)

I had a feeling people might get confused... I wasn't sure how to make it clear that it wasn't about Dorn or Hexxat. Not specifically anyway; they might come up.

Neera's funny though. I like how she seems more sensitive about Aerie than Aerie really is... it made me imagine this:

Neera: Aerie… I just… I wanted to say how sorry I was, about making you cry before. Sometimes my mouth gets too far ahead of my brain.

Aerie: What? Oh… no, Neera, i-it’s okay. You didn’t make me cry. It wasn’t that, I… trust me, I-I’ve long been used to the fact that people have a fondness for bird and flying related metaphors.

Neera: That’s true, I suppose.

Aerie: Free as a bird, broken wings, wings of a dove… f-flying too close to the sun. The birds and the bees…

Neera: Must be strange for you. Living in a culture so obsessed with something you once took for granted.

Aerie: I-it was so long ago that I sometimes wonder if I hadn’t just dreamt it myself… but, like I said, I’m used to hearing all that.

Neera: Oh, Aerie. I don’t get how you can just stand there and be so casual about all of it.

Aerie: Er… ex… e-excuse me?

Neera: Everything that’s happened to you is just so… so horrible! How can you even wake up in the morning knowing all those things go on?!

Aerie: I-I don’t… I mean, there isn’t really a choice…

Neera: You were still just a child when the slavers took you away. And then broke and sold you to be humiliated and finally stripped of your entire identity. And now you’re living in this world as a minority of just yourself with no way back to your people or to even contact your parents. Really?! You’re just going to accept all that and be ‘used to it’?! How could anyone get used to that?!

Aerie: O-of course I’m sad about all of it… I… I-I didn’t realise I had kept it so quiet…

Neera: You… you heartless bitch! I just… I can’t talk to you right now…

Aerie: I-I…

Imoen: Hey, what happened? Why’d she run off like that? Aerie… have you been naughty? Now you just come clean to Aunty Imoen if you have.

Aerie: I… I don’t… I don’t know…
    Some more dialogue I completely imagined:

Neera: So, tell me about chik… chicken tikka… you know who I mean.

Aerie: Chiktikka Fastpaws?

Neera: That’s the one.

Aerie: Well, u-uncle Quayle used to tell me those stories to cheer me up. There are so many tales I could tell… l-like the time he cured Helm of hiccups, o-or slipped laxative into the elven pantheons wine…

Neera: And you really like all that, don’t you?

Aerie: The… t-the stories make me smile, yes.

Neera: I wish I’d known you when you were younger… something tells me you were a bit of a rascal.

Aerie: Heh… well, I was… a-a little adventurous.

Neera: I’ll bet!

Aerie: I would often just… fly off and explore the mountains by myself. S-several times, momma had to get the hunters to find me and bring me back. And… then she would be mad and tell me off, warning me about all the dangers, but I-I… I never listened. I should have listened…

Neera: Oh… oh no, Aerie, I’m sorry! Please! Try not to think about it…

Aerie: It’s okay… I just need to sit down a moment.

Neera: I am such an idiot. Please, try to think happy thoughts. Like, maybe we’ll find some slave traders later and you can blow them up… huh?

Aerie: Y-yes… I’d like that…

Neera: Well, there you go. You just wipe away those tears and we’ll go and find a baddie you can kill, okay?

Aerie: Okay.
    Okay... I have actually forgotten what it was I wanted to say. I had a thought, and then I started writing, and then it left. I blame Neera... she's somehow reaching out from the realm of fiction and is trying to enter our world through me. It's the only logical explanation.

I mean, it was something about banters. And yes, I do feel Aerie's sadness about her wings is already well covered and there are other sides to her we don't see so much, like her curiosity and wonder, and not nearly enough made of the fact that she's an adopted gnome; she could easily be made a little bit more quirky and fun. But, it was more just about Rasaad and Neera... and now it's gone.

While I keep trying to remember, here's something that is just wrong:

Pfff... I don't know. Maybe some of you other folks can think of some silly, light hearted banters between any NPC's of your choice. Or maybe you don't have any ideas; maybe you're an internet virus that has just recently become sentient and is still struggling to understand it's existence, in which case I would definitely love to know about that.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    On the other hand, you can't always give to any characters the 'Dragon Age 1 Liiana(?) treatment'... aka a character able to pass from the deepest thoughts to the most ridiculous and frivolous quick jokes about her shoes/other people hairs/whatever(with a little girl voice)^, just because that's cool.. if they had no ideas and tried nothing special here, well, maybe better like that.. maybe ^^ ...personally, i like when characters are..well..not too bipollars all the same..and/or are not too annoyed by such other chars.. *) (especially when they got through some real slavery sh*ts that are..well, not so light&funny by themselves..and usually, yeah, leting a few traumas.. *// ) .. Now, you found a very cool image there..real gay banters or not.. the main point beeing the Aerie new lines (or not), oki doki.. why yes yeah.. sometimes, maybe better to have nothing than pure trendy funny **ù*ù then.. :/
    edited November 2013
    sunset00 said:

On the other hand, you can't always give to any characters the 'Dragon Age 1 Liiana(?) treatment'... aka a character able to pass from the deepest thoughts to the most ridiculous and frivolous quick jokes about her shoes/other people hairs/whatever(with a little girl voice)^, just because that's cool.. if they had no ideas and tried nothing special here, well, maybe better like that.. maybe ^^ ...personally, i like when characters are..well..not too bipollars all the same..and/or are not too annoyed by such other chars.. *) (especially when they got through some real slavery sh*ts that are..well, not so light&funny by themselves..and usually, yeah, leting a few traumas.. *// ) .. Now, you found a very cool image there..real gay banters or not.. the main point beeing the Aerie new lines (or not), oki doki.. why yes yeah.. sometimes, maybe better to have nothing than pure trendy funny **ù*ù then.. :/

Well, I don't know about characters from Dragon Age (sounds a bit like Imoen in BG2) but I think even people who are depressed don't act depressed all the time. They'll go up and down like go a little up and down like people normally do. Whereas bipolar people switch from one extreme to the other; going from extremely high to extremely low. Whereas Aerie can just be a little bit silly, like she is sometimes with Edwin and Edwina, and if she were around other characters who were silly as well (like Imoen and Neera), it might infect her and a little of that part of herself would come out. Plus it's part of her recovery to learn to be less afraid around people, laugh, have fun, and be more herself.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    Coutelier said:

These are all just plain silly, by the way. Not serious attempts to write game banter or anything; they're just daft. If that wasn't clear to anyone before, then it should be after this long one. It again involves making characters cry:

Imoen: *sobs*

Aerie: Imoen?

Imoen: Huh? Oh… um, Aerie. Did you want something?

Aerie: I-I thought I heard crying.

Imoen: Crying? Me? Ha! That’s a good one, kiddo. You should go tell it to Bodhi… she’ll die laughing.

Aerie: You don’t want me to tell anyone, do you?

Imoen: No.

Aerie: Then I won’t. I just… I-I know what it’s like to be imprisoned, tortured… to have all you are taken from you. So, if you ever need help, any at all…

Imoen: *sighs* You’re sweet. But… it’s not that.

Aerie: Then what?

Imoen: It’s just I… I read these!

Aerie: Oh… oh no… I-Imoen… I am so sorry…

Imoen: The ‘Official’ novelizations of Baldur’s Gate… that’s what it says, anyway.

Aerie: B-but… how? Imoen, I put twenty one different locks on that chest because I didn’t want you to see.

Imoen: Oh, c’mon Aerrers… don’t be so naïve! If someone puts twenty one different locks on something, then yer bound to wanna know what’s inside.

Aerie: I suppose. A-and I suppose I should have known better than to think I could keep you out. I just knew everyone would be so upset and angry if they saw them.

Imoen: Why’d you even have them, anyway?

Aerie: I… I found them in Spellhold. I didn’t know what they were at first, but… now. Now I know they’re evil.

Imoen: Reading them, it… it seemed to drag up some memories. I think he might have used them to try and break me.

Aerie: I’ve tried to get rid of them, but they have a curse on them like no other. I-I’ve tried burning them, gating them, even dropping them to the bottom of the ocean. They came back!

Imoen: They’re evil.

Aerie: Pure, concentrated evil… I’m sorry, Imoen. I-I just didn’t know…

Imoen: It’s not your fault. But... come on… Phaere? Trust me; she’s really not my type. I’d rather sleep with you.

Aerie: Well… w-we can talk about that later. But now… put it back in the chest. Please… b-before Jaheira sees it.

Imoen: Beeswax… yer right! If she sees this she’ll go on a rampage… not even the slayer would be able to stop her.

Aerie: Exactly!

Imoen: But Aerie, just locking them in a chest isn’t enough. They’ll just find their way out again. Aerie, we… we have to find a way to undo this… this thing!

Aerie: But how? I’ve tried everything!

Imoen: What… what if we summoned a djinn? Just wish the things had never existed.

Aerie: Imoen, you know how dangerous that can be…

Imoen: I know; they try to trick you. Like you wish for gold, and then a huge pot of gold falls down and crushes your skull. But what else is there? You sure you’ve no other ideas?

Aerie: Well… there was one thing I thought of..

Imoen: Get it out, Aerie… whatever it is, just say it!

Aerie: A black hole.

Imoen: You’re not suggesting we just jam them up someone’s arse, are ya? Whose?

Aerie: No… I-I mean, if we put two bags of holding inside eachother there might be an implosion and, f-for a moment, a singularity would be created and anything caught inside would simply vanish from our universe. I-I think, anyway…

Imoen: But isn’t that dangerous? Won’t there be a big release of energy as well? An explosion as well?

Aerie: Y-yes… but, if we can do it while keeping our distance, there’s definitely a very slim chance we’ll survive.

Imoen: So… our choices are, keep these books around with us forever, or risk being atomized into oblivion?

Aerie:Y-yes… it seems that way, I’m afraid.

Imoen: Hmmm… it’s worth the risk. Let’s get started.

wow, i never heard this one before. pretty funny!

• niwreniwre Member Posts: 16
    I like it. Stuff like Imoen playing a trick on Keldorn in ToB to snatch his ring. There should be more of that!

wow, i never heard this one before. pretty funny!

I don't know if I should admit this, but I actually have a copy of the novel, the first one anyway, which I bought years ago after I got the game. I'm afraid I am a bit of a hoarder and don't throw things out very often; although that's consistent with the way I play games as well, as I pick up and try to keep hold of everything until I have to dump it... you never know what might turn out to be useful. Although the only thing that books been useful for is steadying the legs of a small table.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I still have all three.
    Awong124 said:

I still have all three.

Oh, you... you poor thing. Did you want to talk about it? Maybe there should be a support group...
    Coutelier said:

Awong124 said:

I still have all three.

Oh, you... you poor thing. Did you want to talk about it? Maybe there should be a support group...
    I don't want to talk about it. I just want to put it behind me and get on with my life...
    Awong124 said:

Coutelier said:

Awong124 said:

I still have all three.

I don't want to talk about it. I just want to put it behind me and get on with my life...
    So brave... but remember, sometimes when you bury your pain it only comes back much worse than before. We're here for you. Just... curse those books for ever existing!
    I kind of just want to set those books aflame. In a flame as bright and fiery as Minsc's hair.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Coutelier said:

Awong124 said:

I still have all three.

I'm in. I read all three in a weekend when I was in 9th grade. I haven't recovered since.
    Excellent idea! It's been too long since I've taken part in a good old-fashioned book burning.
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    I'm getting a little sick of Haer'Delis hitting on my girl, Aerie. She's already told him that we're an item, yet he persists. His slot in the party may be available soon.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The last time I had Haer'Dalis in my party and he started to hit on my girl, I chuncked his ass. Don't mes with my girl/s.
    edited November 2013
    jukaga said:

I'm getting a little sick of Haer'Delis hitting on my girl, Aerie. She's already told him that we're an item, yet he persists. His slot in the party may be available soon.

The last time I had Haer'Dalis in my party and he started to hit on my girl, I chuncked his ass. Don't mes with my girl/s.

Right... I mean, given her past, I'm not sure Aerie would really appreciate people being quite so possessive of her. But, if it makes you both feel any better:

If she does go with Haer'Dalis, she ends up dumping him after a while anyway, either in Spellhold or in Saradush. And then she'll come crawling back to you (she doesn't really come crawling back, but you can imagine it if you want to.
    Taken from a blog post:

Imoen: Wonder what they’re saying… Aerrers, do you speak raven?

Aerie: *sighs* No, Imoen… I don’t speak raven.

Imoen: What about crow?

Aerie: I-I don’t speak crow, raven, dove, swan, falcon, owl, budgerigar, or any avian language. For the last time, Imoen, avariel are elves. Mammals. We're not related to birds at all.

Imoen: What about eagle?

Aerie: Well… t-that I can, a little…
    This has all become very random, hasn't it? Well, I might as well just make it more so, so here's a science-y bit.

If you wanted to take Aerie on a date, the theater/cinema may not be the best place to take her. I mean, aside from the fact that you'd first have to bring her into our world through some type of Weird Science experiment.

But, if as their description suggests, an avariel's eyesight is comparable to that of a large bird of prey, then it's quite likely not only could they see ten times further than a human, but be more sensitive to movement as well due to the structure and higher density of cones and rods on their retinas, and basically they can process visual information much faster than we can. Likely an adaptation for flight as they need to be able to react to things very quickly. Old silent movies ran at 12 frames per second, which is about the minimum needed for humans to perceive smooth movement. Films now are at 24 fps, and television 30. But, for a bird of prey, or possibly an avariel, they might need as much as ten times more than that; over 100 fps. So perhaps, as far as Aerie's concerned, all she's going to see at the pictures is a boring slideshow.

So... there you go. Baldur's Gate is educational.
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    Coutelier said:

This has all become very random, hasn't it? Well, I might as well just make it more so, so here's a science-y bit.

If you wanted to take Aerie on a date, the theater/cinema may not be the best place to take her. I mean, aside from the fact that you'd first have to bring her into our world through some type of Weird Science experiment.

But, if as their description suggests, an avariel's eyesight is comparable to that of a large bird of prey, then it's quite likely not only could they see ten times further than a human, but be more sensitive to movement as well due to the structure and higher density of cones and rods on their retinas, and basically they can process visual information much faster than we can. Likely an adaptation for flight as they need to be able to react to things very quickly. Old silent movies ran at 12 frames per second, which is about the minimum needed for humans to perceive smooth movement. Films now are at 24 fps, and television 30. But, for a bird of prey, or possibly an avariel, they might need as much as ten times more than that; over 100 fps. So perhaps, as far as Aerie's concerned, all she's going to see at the pictures is a boring slideshow.

That's the geekiest thing I've heard in a while...
    selkyra said:

Coutelier said:

That's the geekiest thing I've heard in a while...
    Granted, that Weird Science reference is probably a bit obscure now.
    Coutelier said:

@Coutelier
    Yay! just learned about this in my neuroscience course!

Actually rods aren't the issue. They are mostly for scotopic vision (seeing at night) and don't notice changes in color (as a film would consist of) with as much acuity as cones.

Nerdgasm

Coutelier said:

@Coutelier
    Yay! just learned about this in my neuroscience course!

Actually rods aren't the issue. They are mostly for scotopic vision (seeing at night) and don't notice changes in color (as a film would consist of) with as much acuity as cones.

Nerdgasm
    Interesting. I gather as well that birds can see a broader spectrum than we can; a little further into the UV and the IR ends (even without magic things like infravision). When writing fanfics I've sometimes wondered if Aerie saw like that, and what it would like if she did. Would people seem to glow to her? Although to be honest, it's never really come up.
    The fact that they have a high density of rods is probably why they can see so well at night. Yet visual acuity can come from different methods as well. It depends where they are concentrated along the fovea. So birds can see at long distances, in better color AND at night better than we can