Skip to content

Spoiler: Minsc and Hexxat

2»

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Ayiekie said:

Why is a vampire somehow worse than an insane necromancer or a blackguard, who by definition are thralls to evil demons?

Because they at least you can control enough to minimize the damage that they do. Whereas Hexxat openly admits that she's sneaking away from the party to feed on innocent people to survive.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    So being a death god is ok, but not a vampire? Meh, people overreact way to much, being strict to character over half the parties in the core game would never work, and would lead to mass death, hell dorn would kill everyone if given a chance, same goes for a few core characters as well.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Xzar commits atrocities the moment he's out of your sight (and reminisces about stuff like taking the eyeballs from elves); Dorn is, uh, not very controlled by you in terms of not killing people. Hexxat at least has the excuse of having no real choice but to drink blood. I'm just saying if you can justify taking Xzar or Dorn, I don't see why you cannot justify taking Hexxat.
    You don't have to be a death god. Maybe there's another way Hexxat can find to sustain herself, swearing off sentient beings and only feeding off Dorn, or something. That would solve a lot of her problems and conflicts with some characters.
    Ayiekie said:

Xzar commits atrocities the moment he's out of your sight (and reminisces about stuff like taking the eyeballs from elves); Dorn is, uh, not very controlled by you in terms of not killing people. Hexxat at least has the excuse of having no real choice but to drink blood. I'm just saying if you can justify taking Xzar or Dorn, I don't see why you cannot justify taking Hexxat.

Okay; it's not really about whether you can think of any way to justify her. It's just some of her interactions with some party members are just off, OOC, and not really believable. It could be solved, I think, without the need for all-out party war. It just needs some better writing.
    edited November 2013
    So, Aerie just went and killed Hexxat in ToB. I knew they would fight, as I'd already looked through most of the dialogues in InfExp. As I've said, it's a bit OOC even for more bold ToB Aerie to attack a party member without talking to CHARNAME about it first, giving a chance to either talk her out of it, ask one of them to leave, or just let them fight it out (although it seems to break a 'rule' of there being no conflict in ToB). The real problem though, is that Minsc was stood there and didn't do anything to help his witch... not that she needed it on this occasion, but still, that's a terrible oversight. Obviously realistically Imoen, Mazzy, Jaheira, and basically all the good and most neutral NPC's would side with Aerie, but I understand it be too problematic to have the whole party come apart every time two members fight. But with Minsc there's especially no choice; Hexxat is an evil vampire and he's gonna kick her admittedly shapely, but evil, butt, if she touches his witch. Probably simplest just to drop the conflict altogether and have Aerie just issue a stern verbal warning in the vein of other characters in ToB instead.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Coutelier said:

So, Aerie just went and killed Hexxat in ToB. I knew they would fight, as I'd already looked through most of the dialogues in InfExp. As I've said, it's a bit OOC even for more bold ToB Aerie to attack a party member without talking to CHARNAME about it first, giving a chance to either talk her out of it, ask one of them to leave, or just let them fight it out (although it seems to break a 'rule' of there being no conflict in ToB). The real problem though, is that Minsc was stood there and didn't do anything to help his witch... not that she needed it on this occasion, but still, that's a terrible oversight. Obviously realistically Imoen, Mazzy, Jaheira, and basically all the good and most neutral NPC's would side with Aerie, but I understand it be too problematic to have the whole party come apart every time two members fight. But with Minsc there's especially no choice; Hexxat is an evil vampire and he's gonna kick her admittedly shapely, but evil, butt, if she touches his witch. Probably simplest just to drop the conflict altogether and have Aerie just issue a stern verbal warning in the vein of other characters in ToB instead.
    Was it a cutscene?
    edited November 2013

Coutelier said:

Was it a cutscene?
    No; it's just a random occurrence. I could have made Minsc attack if I'd wanted, sure, but I shouldn't have to in Minsc's case, and it doesn't address any of the other problems.

And if Hexxat does kill Aerie, there'd be no way he'd settle for anything less than her death as well anyway. Or undeath... whatever.