Skip to content

Recent Forgotten Realms changes- lead in to Baldur's Gate 3? (Unmarked spoilers)

So, one of the biggest arguments against Baldur's Gate 3 is that the Bhaalspawn story is over. However, recent events in the official ongoing campaigns changed that- for several months, it was at the forefront of D&D pen and paper gaming.

In the recent campaign, 100 years after ToB, Duke Abdel Adrien (yes, he's canon now, sadly...) rejected Bhaal's essence and was thought to be the last of the Bhaalspawn-up until he was murdered by Viekang. Viekang was afterwards killed by adventurers, only to have the world discover that Bhaal's plan was a success- with the last of his essence released, he was able to resurrect himself. He spread his influence throughout the city and grew in strength for weeks, built up a new cult, and the campaign ended with the current era's Duke Silvershield (managed to forget his first name...) becoming Bhaal's Chosen.

Does anyone else think this seems like a great setup for Baldur's Gate 3? The Bhaalspawn saga has a lasting ending, and brings in a new threat: Duke Silvershield and Bhaal himself. Would take a new protagonist, but given the power creep in ToB and the amount of time that's passed, that seems like a given anyways.

Plus, this may be a bit of a conspiracy theory, but the timing seems a bit too perfect. The Baldur's Gate story is finally continued, right at the same time we get the remake which we have been told for a while would ideally allow the Beamdog team to continue on to Baldur's Gate 3? Just seems to fit too well.

Comments

• FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    Why is he cannon?... :'(
  • EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    At least he's dead for good now.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I'd rather it didn't deal with the charname of the games at all, because all it's going to do is jar people as the canon PC fails to match what they did with their own PC (as the beginning of BGII jars anyone who did anything other than take the "canon" party and follow a generally good-aligned path).
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    You've piqued my interest, go on

A god and his Chosen One, the protoganist would require some serious heritage. Divine? Beastly (dragon)?
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    No way I'm touching a game that even agknowledges Abdel's existence.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I honestly don't think that would fly over having either Abdel be the canon protagonist, or having the player character killed by someone named Viekang in the opening sequence.

Unless they do a mass effect 2 necromagic antichickonator spell and resurrect the essence of said Player Character, but having all level progress wiped (IE starting at lvl 1). Which may or may not be lame.
    Taevik said:

...how can there be any form of continuity in a 3rd BG game if there is NO acknowledgement of anything that happened in the 1st and 2nd games?
    There has to be some kind of character created to replace the player... what is it about Abdel that rubs you the wrong way?
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    A way around having Abdel as the canon protagonist is using saves from BG2EE that import all the information from what you have done in that game. If Beamdog really want to make an indepth BG3, they could have multiple beginnings depending on what ending you chose in BG2...

Just a pipe dream...
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    I'm disappointed (not surprised) they've chosen to officially end the Bhaalspawn story in such a matter.

It would be better if Beamdog made their own original story, It can be set in the Forgotten Realms by all means, but a new story with new characters in a new time.

Maybe if it's good enough Wizards can ruin it as well, seems to a sign of success.
    edited November 2013
    the number of variables involved in such a plot divergence...ouch

The only way to avoid a retcon of some sort, that I can see (not having abdel), is to be very very vague in referring to the quintessential bhaalspawn that rolfstomped all (aka the charname)... I think I'd be disappointed with a scenario in which the previous story lines are brushed aside.
    edited November 2013
    I think the only way to effectively side step the player continuity is to avoid the bhaal plotline altogether. The game is called 'Baldur's Gate' after all, not 'Bhaalspawn'.
    ...either that or get used to Abdel as your charname in the next BG 1 & 2 playthrough ;)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    bman86 said:

...either that or get used to Abdel as your charname in the next BG 1 & 2 playthrough ;)

Never!

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Who? :)
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    ToB was a good ending to the Bhaalspawn saga. Every story needs a good ending, and a good ending is integral to making a good story good.

So when you decide that the ending of a good story wasn't the ending, you're also jeopardizing the quality of the entire story. Why can't it end with ToB? These twists don't excite me, they just feel like lame attempts at milking the hype of BG. Kind of like Fast and Furious 6...
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    bman86 said:

Taevik said:

...how can there be any form of continuity in a 3rd BG game if there is NO acknowledgement of anything that happened in the 1st and 2nd games?
    There has to be some kind of character created to replace the player... what is it about Abdel that rubs you the wrong way?
    Well, they should continue the franchise by leaving the character behind the protagonist role alone. And I think you also suggested something to that effect.

Abdel isn't just hated by me, take a look at the Amazon reviews that talk about Abdel's character and the quality of the novels that he emerged from. He's a terrible, completely unlikable character that's largely the product of terrible, unlikable books. People hate those books (and that character) for a reason.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Drop the Bhaalspawn plotline. It's over and done with. Just have a new story set on the Sword Coast. Maybe include some references to the original games and a cameo or two, but leave it at that. Unnecessarily resurrecting a finished plotline will inevitably ruin it.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    I would not touch a game where
    A: Viekang managed to teleport through a barrier that was erected to prevent natural teleporting(A to B) and managed to come back and kill the charname..... WHEN VIEKANG TELEPORTS AWAY FROM BHAALSPAWN and is a frightened little lamb. The chances of Viekang surviving since he teleports normally are 0% since the barrier around Saradush was one built like around Candlekeep.
    B: I would refuse to touch a game that acknowledged Abdel as the Charname.
    C: Bhaalspawn plot is dead, and should have been left as such in canon.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Drugar said:

Fun fact:

Official canon also has a giant Minsc statue in the middle of the city;

At least he is the real minsc rather than that red haired phony
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Nobody likes Abdel "The Imposter" Adrian. Here's the results from my latests poll...

1: "I believe Abdel Adrian is the canon bhaalspawn." (0 votes)
    2: "Pfft! I'd rather the entire saga was just one of Winthrop's drunken dreams!" (49342 votes)

But really, I never follow canon too much or it just makes your actions feel pointless in the end.

In World of Warcraft you can kill over a million things, save the entire world by slaying godlike bosses, and become loved by every single faction... but compared to the "canon" characters you're not worthy of mention.

The Fallout games did it better. The previous characters aren't referred to by name or sex(most of the time), but there's always someone in the wastes that knows the story of the Vault Dweller, the Chosen One, the Warrior, etc.

It'd be a mistake to add Abdel Adrian.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

The Fallout games did it better. The previous characters aren't referred to by name or sex(most of the time), but there's always someone in the wastes that knows the story of the Vault Dweller, the Chosen One, the Warrior, etc.

Even the people involved with Nuka Break did this. Twig, the former Vault Dweller, has to go speak with "The Scholar", who mentions that Twig reminds him of someone he knew long ago. Oh...The Scholar's name is Goris.

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    @Eldryth

Interesting stuff sir. Sounds like quite the coincidence (which is to say, it likely isn't).
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Elendar said:

Then you would have to mod the game to actually follow the story of Baldur's Gate which was written after the game, and be Abdel Adrian precisely.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i've been thinking, maybe I won't help viekang this time. if he dies i live :)
  • alkaiseralkaiser Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2013
    Well, since I named my paladin Abdel just because I saw the saved game of ToSC and liked the name (back on my second playthrough - the portrait of Abdel in this saved games is the same as Kivan's... Mine was that classical second picture, the one that most resembles a knight/paladin), I kind of feel sorry for the death of Duke Abdel: At a first glimpse at the adventure "Murder in Baldur's Gate" it seems to me that Duke Abdel doesn't look like the character of Philip Athans' books at all...

So, I really don't mind that they make him canon. To me, they just made my paladin canon.

And he was murdered by a low level coward bhaalspawn. Well, that is unacceptable. But it is a whole different matter, so let's leave that for now.

The point here is: The character in "Murder in Baldur's Gate" is just named Abdel. That doesn't necessary means that they made the character of the books canon or the story of the books canon. Hell, if you actually completely erase those books from your mind it really doesn't matter the name they chose for CHARNAME.

It wouldn't make much sense if they release "Murder in Baldur's Gate" and named the main NPC as Charname since they are trying to create a plot line for a major saga and need npcs with personality and influence. In that way, they couldn't even make the art for that character. It's only not an option. But that DOESN'T mean that you cannot replace Duke Abdel for you character in "Murder in Baldur's Gate", of course. So, whatever.

And if they made that hateful story entirely canon, well, it really doesn't matter. In my Forgotten Realms I just need to ignore that awful piece of trash and use the story of the games... And I think that is the way that Baldur's Gate 3 would be made by anyone that would make the game. No one likes those books, you know.

A whole different plot but following the consequences and timeline of the first two games, probably.
    Post edited by alkaiser on
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    I'd prefer a different thread. In fact it could be somewhat awesome to start just in the last part of the story: rejecting or accepting the baal's powers. It could be a game that has two different threads according to the choice.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    edited November 2013
    Every time the source material decides to adopt a 'canon' storyline to a spinoff videogame I am left profoundly disappointed. I had been under the impression that WoTC had been doing their best to bury the dross that was the Baldur's Gate books like they rightfully deserved. Oops. IMO I don't think the folks in Forgotten Realms have known what the heck they are doing with the setting for some time now. Witness events like the Spellplague for evidence, or the Lady Penitent series (way to kill off anything still interesting left about the Drow) or even further back, offing the Dead Three-I can't really point to one development that came off of that aside from the Baldur's Gate series itself that I'd count as positive. Personally, I have been trying to hard to ignore the material they have been pushing out of late, Sundering included.
  • JerrinJerrin Member Posts: 12
    I wouldn't, in theory, be opposed to the idea of a BG3, provided the premise made sense, and it didn't invalidate your choices as a player in the previous games.

Most notably becoming a god. I really can't see a god being a player character.

One reason I'm not opposed to it, is the fact that the story of the games themselves have already departed from the mentioned title, IE BG2 has nearly nothing to do with the city involved.

Instead, the games revolve around the rather problematic heritage of a bunch of people, and some very disturbing prophecies, as well as a lot of mystic and political power grabs.

This would seem to leave amble room for a BG3, either set in the same time frame, or later. The problem remains that, as has been said, the story is over. Whatever the outcome, the Bhaalspawn aren't a real 'threat' any more, and should not become so again.

I can think of one premise that could make sense, at least pertaining to player choices.

If CHARNAME turned down godhood, let the story continue with him/her.
    If CHARNAME became a god, have the story center around a Chosen of him/her

Granted, it's hardly optimal, and might be deemed lacking in continuity, but it would still be preferable, methinks, to just ignoring the events of ToB.

Still, I think I'd prefer that the duo remain a duo, and that the shadow of a BG3 was banished to the shadow plane rather than haunting us.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Eldryth said:

So, one of the biggest arguments against Baldur's Gate 3 is that the Bhaalspawn story is over. However, recent events in the official ongoing campaigns changed that- for several months, it was at the forefront of D&D pen and paper gaming.

In the recent campaign, 100 years after ToB, Duke Abdel Adrien (yes, he's canon now, sadly...) rejected Bhaal's essence and was thought to be the last of the Bhaalspawn-up until he was murdered by Viekang. Viekang was afterwards killed by adventurers, only to have the world discover that Bhaal's plan was a success- with the last of his essence released, he was able to resurrect himself. He spread his influence throughout the city and grew in strength for weeks, built up a new cult, and the campaign ended with the current era's Duke Silvershield (managed to forget his first name...) becoming Bhaal's Chosen.

Does anyone else think this seems like a great setup for Baldur's Gate 3? The Bhaalspawn saga has a lasting ending, and brings in a new threat: Duke Silvershield and Bhaal himself. Would take a new protagonist, but given the power creep in ToB and the amount of time that's passed, that seems like a given anyways.

Plus, this may be a bit of a conspiracy theory, but the timing seems a bit too perfect. The Baldur's Gate story is finally continued, right at the same time we get the remake which we have been told for a while would ideally allow the Beamdog team to continue on to Baldur's Gate 3? Just seems to fit too well.

I like it, but I would right the original BS back into it. suppose a cult of radical thinkers quested for Abdel (Bs)s essence and ressurected HIM! Thr bg3 player could use their original bg character yet again! Maybe with wiped out xp...maybe not. maybe when he gets back he can recruit his very own cult following to accompany him and maybe later on he can rez Imoen or Vicconia. Endless possibilities.