Skip to content

Garren Windspear's Child, broken quest.

Current Behavior:
Get the key from Conster, open the cage door.. and nothing happens.
Talking to the child does not update the quest, she only pleads for her safety.

Expected Behavior:
Talking to the child updates the quest, life goes on.

What lead to this:
Started quest with Firekrag in Coronet
Killed the knights
Talked to Garren
Assault on Garrens home, kidnapping of child
Talked to Garren on his return, promised to rescue child and restore reputation.
Go into lair, kill everything on my way
Talk to Firekraag and leave him (alive) to fight Conster
Kill conster, get key, open door, quest breaks.

Comments

• SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    Hmm, it looks like the game looks to see if you have the key and if the door is open. If it is, then it destroys the key and changes the variable. Do you still have the key, or did the script get far enough to destroy it?

Here is the console command to fix your issue:

CLUAConsole: SetGlobal("GarKidReleased", "GLOBAL", 1)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    It seems to have been a misfiring script.

After reloading the fight with Conster 5 times, i suddenly get prompted with a conversation from Garren's child as soon as the door pops open.

Why this didn't happen all the other times, I have no idea.

Maybe another infinity engine hiccup, but should probably be looked at either way.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    I had this happen to me once before in non-EE as well, it depends on the order in which you do your things (get key, open door, etc), but I cannot remember the specifics on how to replicate it.

My recent EE playthrough I managed to avoid this bug without trying though, it all depends on the order of things to my understanding...
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    I got the key from the Mage and then talked to the child, getting the response "... Get the key from the mage, and we can flee.". I opened the cell door, but the key did not leave my inventory. I talked to the child again (several times), but still got the same response. Then, maybe 10 seconds after I'd opened the door, the child suddenly initiated dialog with me and said "Thank you! Now, before I pass out from fear, ...". XP was awarded, journal was updated, the child left and the key disappeared. Maybe it's on a timer or something?
  • SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2013
    It doesn't appear to be on a timer intentionally. It is looking for the door to be open and the key to be in your inventory and should fire immediately once it recognises those two things.

IF
    PartyHasItem("KEY09") // Firkraag Prison Key
    OpenState("Door04",TRUE)
    !Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    Global("GarKidReleased","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TakePartyItem("KEY09") // Firkraag Prison Key
    DestroyItem("KEY09") // Firkraag Prison Key
    SetGlobal("GarKidReleased","GLOBAL",1)
    StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
    END

I know that triggers where it has to recognise something on the map can be pretty slow. 10 seconds seems like a lot, but it might have to do with the size of the area, other triggers on the map, the number of doors, where your camera is looking, god knows what else. This appears to be a limitation of the infinity engine and probably not something that can be fixed (but you never know).

I'd be curious to see if waiting long enough would fix the problem in every case.
  • ToniToni Member Posts: 3
    In my case, the quest seems to crash a bit later. I rescued Garrens daughter and met her in the cabin, but I cannot find Garren anywhere there and thus can't start the paladin quest. Could you help me with this?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Zip & attach a save please @Toni‌

Are you playing single player, and how many times/where did you encounter Garren.
    Thanks
    Alright, the Zip-file is attached. I'm playing single player and met Garren three times: after I killed the knights/monsters, at his cabin and after the assault in his cabin, when I promised to rescue his daughter. I went to Firkraag's dungeon, rescued his daughter after killing Conster, but did not kill Firkraag yet. The daughter escapes and can be found in the cabin. (The key for the cell has vanished, the only key I have from that dungeon should be the sewage key.) There, she's telling me that she still doesn't feel safe (because I didn't kill the dragon yet). However, Garren himself is not there...

Thanks a lot for the quick response!
    Loading your save sees both Garren and his daughter in the cabin for me? He's in the middle of your party @Toni
    hook71
    Oh, my bad. I fought Conster about 4 or 5 times and made my way back to the cabin and did not notice Garren. It's about time that I get my glasses back, as it seems. :(

Sorry for the inconveniencies!
    hook71
    No problem, he blends in and I only noticed because the numbers look high :)

Enjoy the rest of your game.
  • ArtemidorusArtemidorus Member Posts: 6
    Hi! Long-time listener, first-time caller. After releasing Taar Windspear, I return to the cabin, now inhabited by Jum, a pheasant, two Taars, and no Garrens. Save file attached.
    I've put a replacement in for you @Artemidorus‌ so see if that allows you to complete the quest. There are a couple of tickets open for Garren and another one for people/creatures being in the wrong place and I'm not sure if this is 1 or more of them, or something else.

He does appear to be there but not visible, and in a diseased state. Was there anything like cloudkill active at an earlier point that might have affected him?
    Is this single player or are you using the multiplayer option.
    Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArtemidorusArtemidorus Member Posts: 6
    That did the job--thanks very much!

I'm playing single player. IIRC, I killed the knights and then talked to Garren. Then I went to his cottage and stayed the night. Then I left immediately for the dungeon. Right outside of the dungeon, I ran into him returning. We talked about his intercession and rescuing his child. I don't think I used magic on any of those occasions.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Thanks, he shouldn't have been outside the dungeon. Believe this is issue #7398 but won't tag this thread as the earlier reports are something else.
    Cheers
    JuliusBorisovArtemidorus
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    I spoke to Firkraag. He said something to Conster about fetching the child for me. Conster disappeared. I didn't really know what to do since I didn't remember this quest. I left the room, Conster was nowhere to be found. When I walked past the child's cell, the child died, by the hands of an invisible force. Could not open any cell.

Anyway, went back to Firkraag and told him I would get the Windspear Hills deed for him (evil party). Ran to Garren's house, spoke to him, he rushed out in anger before I could get any deed. Reloaded. Ran to his house again, being chased by mobs. Entered his house, an Ankheg appeared from the floor and a fight broke out; Garren was also hostile. I thought screw it, I took the deed from his corpse and gave it to Firkraag, then killed Firkraag. Now I have two quests which I guess will be there forever, uncompleted. Garren's child and the general Windspear quest. All thanks to these unfathomable events with Conster and the child.