Skip to content

Spirit Armor Hotfix

jpersinnejpersinne Member Posts: 23
Hi, folks!

Let me get this out of the way first: I'm not a modder by any stretch. I have absolutely zero experience with the Infinity Engine. Nada. Zilch.

But there is an irritating bug with Spirit Armor at the moment that works like so: in the event that a character fails his or her saving throw when the spell is cast, then you will be unable to save the game until the spell's damage is applied (i.e. the spell expires). For me, this was an absolute dealbreaker, so I bumbled around in Near Infinity just long enough to cobble together a fix.

That fix is attached below.

Note that all I've done is remove the damage component from the spell so that the game will not prevent you from saving while it is active. Certainly, this is not ideal (i.e. it breaks the spell's intended behavior), but I find it preferable to the current default functionality.

I'm sharing it here because I figured someone else may also be interested. Drop it into your override folder and you should be good to go. Just ensure you backup the original file before you do.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    This is the best way to learn modding--jump in with both feet and just do it.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Thanks for sharing that OP. I might use it myself later. :)
  • GyldengladGyldenglad Member Posts: 10
    Can you be more specific on where to put this file? I have no idea what override folder you are refering to.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Gyldenglad In Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\ create a new folder and name it "override", (assuming you don't already have an override folder).
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    @jpersinne great one, thx.. will try with one with great pleasure..as that was one of the things that annoyed me too so far, to start quicky... well done !! (i should maybe try that IE one day..for a few other things i noticed..^^). No damages?.. bah.. could have been worst )) nb; actually, seems to be smthg, here, related to a failed auto-spell saving throw, from the start of the spell..that determines if you will loose or not HPs at the end (if failed).. so, when ST failed, the current patch consider you are in a kind of danger/combat mode..so no save/rest (if ST suceeded, np, can save/rest as normal..)..from what i understood, can include a few other spells that needs like that an hidden ST on the char at start..if failed, same, will be no saves/rest..warcries some others said, too, etc..).

• MrTheDeviousMrTheDevious Member Posts: 4
    Oh geez thank you so much for this. Been driving me absolutely insane and I had no idea what was even causing it until now. Thanks a million!
  • marymagdalinemarymagdaline Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Can anyone explain why this mod might not work? I have tried the following directories:

C:\Games\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\data\00783\override

and

C:\Games\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\override

Neither work. The game is still unsaveable with Spirit Armour on. Getting so frustrated with this, any help would be appreciated, thank you.
  • KilmantorKilmantor Member Posts: 34
    Even activated the debug-mode for this so I can clear spirit armor with Strg+R ...
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Just wanted to note that this was fixed in our latest internal builds (bug report 7042).
  • QuantumboredomQuantumboredom Member Posts: 3
    jpersinne said:

I'm sharing it here because I figured someone else may also be interested. Drop it into your override folder and you should be good to go. Just ensure you backup the original file before you do.

I can't find any original file to back up, what is it I should be backing up?

And thanks for supplying a fix for this, it has been the one big annoyance with the game so far!

• jpersinnejpersinne Member Posts: 23
    @marymagdaline

So long as you've extracted the contents of the .zip file (and not put it there directly), it should work in either directory you mentioned. If it doesn't, I'm completely at a loss. Sorry!

@Quantumboredom

I suspect the answer is that you may or may not have a file to back up, depending on your installation. I'm not really savvy enough about the game to know.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Some answers to questions in this thread:
    1. The unmodded vanilla EE game has no override directory, but mods create it, and you can also do that for hotfixes.
    2. You need to unzip/unrar the resource files into the override directory, otherwise the game can't see them.
    3. If you have a save with an active spirit armor, you won't be able to save even with a working spell fix.
    You need to use ctrl-R on your character (this will remove any active buffs/unbuffs).
    4. You should be able to save if you cast the spell after you installed this hotfix, and it works (didn't check).
  • Eugene25Eugene25 Member Posts: 3
    You may also consider to change 'Timing Mode' variable in 'Damage' component of this spell from Delay/Permament to Instant/Permament rather than totally delete it. It will be a little closer to its original behavior and also allow you to save the game :)
  • SirVoytekSirVoytek Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, mate! What a relief! :) It`s working...
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Can somebody confirm if this bug was fixed in 2.3 or not?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @ALIEN
    Yes, you can now save the game when you fail the savingthrow and have pending damage.