Skip to content

Modify spells per level

CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
edited November 2013 in General Modding
So, I'm curious if anyone knows how I can modify game files to allow 1 more spell to be memorised at every level for mages. I realise this isn't to everyone's taste but I personally find the current memorisation levels too restrictive. At the moment whenever I level I just go into eekeeper and increase the memorisation of each level by 1 so at level 6 my mage has 6 level 1 spells, 4 level 2 and 4 level 3 spells as an example. Problem is, when I level up, it reduces this back to whatever the amount is in the game files and while I don't mind popping out of the game everytime I level, I'm wondering whether there's a more permenant solution.

Again, I realise this isn't to everyone's taste, but I prefer it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd recommend downloading and learning how to use Near Infinity or DLTCEP. Those programs will let you alter pretty much everything that isn't hardcoded, whereas the "Keeper" programs are designed more for basic, user-friendly editing.

To answer the question directly, with Near Infinity you can for instance open your save file, select your character and assign an effect to him that gives him your choice of bonus number of spells per level.
  • CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    Do you happen to have a download link for the latest version of Near Infinity or DLTCEP? I can't find the latest one.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Check this thread, under tools.
    Ooo, there we are, thank you sir, most helpful.
    Rather than making a new thread, I'll ask here. When I'm trying to setup dltcep, it keeps coming up with an error saying that it's unable to find dialog.tlk, since with the enhanced edition, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US. How can I get dltcep to point to that directory and avoid this error?
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    Go to "steamapps\common\BGEE" in your file explorer.
    Hold "Shift" and then right click somewhere. In the right-click context menu, select "Open Command window Here".
    In the command prompt, enter "mklink dialog.tlk lang\en_US\dialog.tlk"
    Reload DLTCEP.
  • So_LoWSo_LoW Member Posts: 62
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-2/p12
    Troodon80 said:

@filpan,

In Keeper, go to the Affects tab. Click on Add and then click Edit.

In the new window, you want to pick "Spell Memorization Mage" as the Type. Set Value as however many you want to increase by (note that this number is stacked on your current spells, so if you already have 3 level 2 spell slots and you add 13, you will get 15. If, on levelling up, you get an extra 1 slot then you will/should have 16). Modifier Type can be one of 9 values:

1=Level 1
    2=Level 2
    4=Level 3
    8=Level 4
    16=Level 5
    32=Level 6
    64=Level 7
    128=Level 8
    256=Level 9

Flags will need to be set to 'Instant, Permanent'.

Time should be 0.

Probability will need to be set to 100 (as in 100% chance of success).

Target is Self.

Resources can be left blank.

Dispel/Resistance should be either 'Nonmagical' or 'Not Dispel/Bypass Resistance'.

Example:

This will add five level two spell slots.

Might be helpful :)
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    For a more general solution, visit mxsplwiz.2da et al.
    edited November 2013
    @So_LoW

This was exactly what I was looking for and it worked like a charm, thank you very much. Thank you also to all the other people that offered assistance.