-Andre the Magnificent - Lv1 Jester
-Maeglin - Lv1 Fighter/Thief
----

Game Summaries to come.

Post edited by SquareTin on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Hey

Sounds like you play the game in the exact way I do, and if I were to do a full MP playthrough, that's how I'd like to do it.

I think perhaps a 4 man party is best, but we should try to have a diverse party that can cover all needs and agree on roles before we start. MP will give me a chance to try something new, cos I've only used F/M so far. I'd quite like to try a pure spellcaster like a Sorcerer.

I've only played BG 1 Vanilla once and BG EE once, so I am not particularly experienced either, but if nobody else is keen take the lead, then I'd willing to give it a try. Although I don't provide a roleplaying commentary in my Let's Play, I do mostly make decisions on RP reasons, and try to explain them as I go along.

I look forward to seeing how this develops :)
  • SquareTinSquareTin Member Posts: 30
    Hey mate :)

That sounds great - Let's see if there's a couple more people interested then and we can sort out a nice balanced party. Are you in a similar timezone?
    Yeah I live in the UK.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I am interested (and live in the UK) what sort of times were you imagining playing this?
    Hey Cadros,

I'm quite easy until January as I am on work leave - so I'd be happy to play around your schedules. I was assuming evenings were the best time? Maybe starting at 6 or 7 for a couple of hours. But as I said I'm easy.
    In terms of time, I am also pretty flexible at the moment, but that will probably change towards Xmas. In the long run, I think it's more realistic if we make it a (at minimum) once weekly thing, and more if everyone has the time. I don't mind if the whole thing takes months. It might even be more epic that way.
    Yeah I agree, I think we'd get burned out and not everyone can play everyday, once a week or twice a week sounds just right to me.
    To avoid powergaming and add a bit of fun to the proceedings - I thought it might be good to roll characters based off this random generator http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/Lemernis/media/randomcharactergeneratorsystem-revised-individualcolorkey_zpsaba907bd.png.html

That way we all have an unlikely group of adventurers and we can be forced into new character styles and new ways of playing too :)

Just a suggestion of course - I know a lot of people would rather make their own character from scratch! I just really want to avoid uber CHARNAMEs!

One more person would be ideal so step up if you're interested!
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I am more available after 7pm, I will give the random number thing a spin
    I have received an inbox message from another player and there are now 4 of us. If everyone would like to post and let me know the characters they'd like to play and a bit about them then we can start and arrange a best time :)
    edited November 2013
    I'm going to use the random character generator but I won't force it on anyone!

EDIT:
    Generated my character - I'm going to be:

Davorin
    Elf Necromancer
    Chaotic Good

--- I'll roll up stats later in game.
    edited November 2013
    The random character generator is an interesting approach for a single player game, but in MP we can't go and pick up NPCs to fill the party roles that aren't satisfied, and also alignment conflicts would be tricky to deal with if we want to be realistic with RP. (I hope we will be largely RP a Good party, so only Good or Neutral characters.)

For example if u are a Necromancer, you will have to be the primary spellcaster in the party, then we need a frontline fighter, a thief and a cleric/druid to fulfil the classic fantasy party roles, so there's little sense for me to pick Sorcerer.

I think I'll use a Lawful Good Paladin of some sort, or at least fulfil the frontliner role.

I hope the other 2 players are okay with provide Priest spells and thief services?

Oh yeah, somebody needs to be the Protagonist, deciding this allows everyone else to create a character around this. For example I can't see a Paladin as a Bhaalspawn, so I'd prefer to RP a supporting character, and if I had to be the Charname, I'd pick a different class and background. As you are the host, I am happy for the Charname to be you SquareTin, unless somebody else has a strong preference.

And on the topic of Powergaming. I think we can be sensible about it, once we have agreed roles/classes, I suppose we can all pre-create lv1 (0xp) characters and post their stats to this thread, and as long as everyone else is happy with it, then that's fine.

My general rule is that 'if you are super fast, you can't be super tough'. For example the F/M I've played with so far in all my games started with

Str 15
    Dex 17
    Con 15
    Int 18
    Wis 10
    Cha 12

I find stat-dumping kinda cheesy and would prefer not anything much stronger than that.
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    The random character generator gave me a half elf jester, chaotic good. I was pretty happy with that, but Heinrich does make a point. As much as i'd love to play a jester, we'd need a proper healer/thief.
    Allthough on the rp side, i doubt an adventurer would be so picky with their company as long as they share a common goal...

Personally i'd like to use this character since i havent rly played bards much, but i could 'reroll' :)
    Also no desire for hosting tbh, but i can if needed.
    edited November 2013
    I think you're right Heindrich - I haven't played Multiplayer so didn't know about the no NPCs rule. I'm happy to be supporting character swell as charname - don't really mind. Liberelli your character sounds good!

I quite like playing supporting characters so I wouldn't mind being maybe a cleric or so, and perhaps it's best for someone with more experience being the primary spell caster, due to it being more intuitive for players with more experience (I have no experience with high level spells at all)

Does anyone have a specific preference to being the protagonist? I just re read that you would like to be a sorcerer so feel free to do that, I don't want to restrict people's preferences here. Sorcerer might also be a good protagonist (Bhaalspawn powers explaining the power of magic you control for example)
    Having a mage as protagonist does bring the added danger of many reloads with it tho, low hp and all. But as long as you know the game a bit you'll know when to hang back i suppose.
    @SquareTin
    I only tried MP once. I think you could recruit NPCs, but with 4 human players, if we pick up an NPC, how do we decide who controls him/her? I suppose we could recruit one or two on a temporary basis if it fit RP, but for simplicity's sake, I figured that it might be simpler if we all just created a custom character each to form a core party, which should cover every need in the party.

We could use NPCs to fill stop-gap requirements, like say the party thief wanted to dual-class and temporarily lost his/her Thief skills.

@Liberelli
    Spellcasters are gonna be weak for most of BG 1, but in some ways their vulnerability (paradoxically) makes them a little safer, cos you are forced to be careful with them. Like in my BG 1 games, Khalid always died the most because he was always in harm's way, even if he was the toughest member of the party.

Would you want to be the protagonist then Heindrich? Sorcerer Bhaalspawn seems to make sense :)

I wouldn't mind playing a frontliner "tank" role of sorts.
    I dont mind picking up some npcs for their quest line, the new ones at least, since the old ones didnt have much of an interesting quest. Btw, i'm neutral good because apparently bards cant be chaotic good :s
    Also i'd prefer not to join the party till after gorion is dead, since i have no way of getting into candlekeep :)
    Liberelli that would be quite interesting - perhaps you and another player could take the role of Khalid and Jaheira or Xzar and Montaron (pair of adventurers you meet early on to help you). Whereas the protagonist and another can play the role of CHARNAME and imoen :)
    Okay guys... if nobody has any objections. I'm happy to host this game as a Sorcerer protagonist. Like I said, I am not a veteran by any stretch, but I have played about 300 hours of BG 1 Vanilla, BG EE and BG 2 since June, and I am fairly familiar with the magic system up to level 7 spells. (I've just started Throne of Bhaal, so should be learning HLAs in the coming days/weeks).

My memory of BG 1 is less fresh given I've been playing BG 2 mostly in recent months, but if u guys aren't worried about playing 'efficiently' and powergaming, then that might be a good thing for RP purposes, cos I'll be making decisions based on 'Farmer Joe says a bunch of ogres are terrorising his village to the east, let's put an end to their reign of terror!'... Instead of 'I remember this ogre that drops this badass sword!'. I've never played PnP D&D before, so I'm kinda looking forward to trying to play in character like OP suggested. Oh yeah, of course we can discuss major plot, purchasing and equipment decisions in game, but it would be nice to do so in character. :)

I completely agree there - I really do want it to be like a D&D experience of really playing like your characters. And as such I've been trying to think of some really good justification of things like side quests. Perhaps you guys could help :)

Basically I feel what with the whole Bhaalspawn plot you have a very clear objective from the start. You need to find out who this person is who killed Gorion and why he keeps sending assassins for you. In which case, why would we ever stray from the road and go fetch this guys ring or collect something or other for someone.

Perhaps it's me being too focused on the roleplaying, but if I were to properly be immersed then my character would only focus on the main plot unless something urgent came up that impeded you to do that. Maybe it's more of a discussion to be had elsewhere as it's more of a matter of opinion but I suppose we need to be conscious before we start as to how much sidetracking we'll do :)

This is quite a good article on what I mean http://sv.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1c5dlf/the_main_quest_vs_side_quest_dilemma_im_supposed/

Btw I'm happy with you hosting Heindrich - I'll pick a front liner then
    @Liberelli @SquareTin
    Oh I didn't see ur comments before I made my last post.

I really like the idea of perhaps Charname and one other player starting in Candlekeep, and bumping into the other 2 players just after Gorion's death. I was actually thinking about how to justify 4 players starting in Candlekeep. lol

Well if you're all happy for me to go ahead, may I suggest the following:

1) Each of you roll up your characters and post their details in the thread.

2) Everyone sends their character background and bio to me first, so that I can A) Check that they are compatible with each other and B) Write some sort of opening intro.

3) Say what your preferred method of communication is. I have Skype, Steam and Mumble, but I don't own a mumble server :(

Hopefully we can get something started by the weekend!
    Ok, that sounds good. Send bios to Heindrich as Personal Messages that way we have no way of knowing until we're in the game and the character has to explain it :)

In terms of communication - I'm usually free to voice chat but as I share my room with my girlfriend sometimes I won't be able to (she sleeps a lot :P). I imagined characters talking would be done with in game chat anyway though.
    edited November 2013
    The whole side quest thing is something i find very intuitive to whatever your character is like.
    Ofcourse the bhaalspawn is focused on retribution/vengeance for gorion's murder, but if there's ppl only in it for the gold, or even the bloodshed, then those guys will be less interested in some vendetta they have no stake in.
    For instance, i made a witless gnome once who was only interested in jewels and everything shiny, which would result in him immediately putting on any ring, wether it was a shabby silver one, or a cursed ring of stupidity. That way your companions will be the ones initiating or hinting at sidequests. They'll lead us astray :)

I have somewhat of a quest for my own character already, just to make sure he has a purpose other than being a mere follower.

I prefer skype to set things up, but i have no specific desire to rp with voice or not.

I havent written a bio yet, but so far this is what i got:

Andre the Magnificent (because he is...)
    Male, Half Elf, Neutral Good, Jester
    Str. 12
    Dex. 17
    Con. 10
    Int. 16
    Wis. 10
    Cha. 18

Probly not gonna focus on spells that much, some divining/illusion, more support. Also have some basic gear, bow, leather, spear.

SquareTin said:

Basically I feel what with the whole Bhaalspawn plot you have a very clear objective from the start. You need to find out who this person is who killed Gorion and why he keeps sending assassins for you. In which case, why would we ever stray from the road and go fetch this guys ring or collect something or other for someone.

Perhaps it's me being too focused on the roleplaying, but if I were to properly be immersed then my character would only focus on the main plot unless something urgent came up that impeded you to do that. Maybe it's more of a discussion to be had elsewhere as it's more of a matter of opinion but I suppose we need to be conscious before we start as to how much sidetracking we'll do :)

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I feel that (feel free to disagree) an evil party doesn't make sense, cos you need to do way too much good in your journey to push the story forwards. Not so much in BG 2, cos u can argue that u are driven by vengeance and hate, as well as hunger for power, but in BG 1, selfish characters would not take such massive personal risks to fight uncertain threats, and perhaps a sensible and realistic Charname would be so terrified that he'd go into hiding in the forest or the big city, instead of repeatedly putting himself in mortal danger. So in order for the game to work in a fairly strict RP sense, Charname needs to be:

A) Incredibly arrogant about his abilities,

B) Believe he is destined to fulfil some divine prophecy (before he learns about it!).

C) A true hero who is willing to die to do the 'right thing'.

D) Incredibly stupid/naive about the dangers of walking into a heavily guarded dungeon full of deadly traps and vicious monsters.

E) All or a combination of the above.

In terms of how much side-quests we do. My BG 1 runs so far I was pretty completionist, cos I didn't worry about RP too much in my first playthrough, and I wanted to experience everything. In my ongoing BG 2 LP, I rushed to save Imoen as soon as reasonably possible. But after the Underdark, I suspended my RP and 'fulfilled a few promises Charname made before going off to Spellhold' and pretended that Suldanesselar was not in imminent danger and Charname not about to drop dead at any moment due to lack of a soul. lol Even so I didn't go out of my way to look for any new quests once I returned from the Underdark, and didn't bother investigating the murders in the Bridge district cos Charname considers that a minor issue for the Athkatla law enforcement to deal with.

In other words... I try to maintain a balance. I imagine that I'd go to investigate things if I have a reason to. For example if somebody mentioned 'there's treasure in east', then we might go explore a wilderness region to the east. Once we get a a region, I have no issue with a fairly completionist exploration of it. But yeah, in terms of details we can discuss that when everyone is together on voice chat.

And on the topic of voice chat... yes u can type ingame, but i find it quite tedious, and generally prefer voice chat.
    All interesting points guys, and I think having other people playing who aren't set in stone NPCs will lead us to explore more than the main plot as Liberelli suggested :) I'll roll and send bio tomorrow.
    Introducing Kang, Gorion's Ward and a young aspiring sorcerer from the East.

It was sixteen years ago when Gorion happened upon the aftermath of a ruthless bandit attack upon a Shou-Lung trade mission on the road between Beregost and Baldur's Gate. There were no survivors except a young baby boy, no older than perhaps two years old, alone and crying amongst the blood and bodies of the fallen. For reasons unknown Gorion rescued the child, and instead of giving him to one of the benevolent churches of the region, decided to raise the boy as his own son.

From a young age the boy, whom Gorion named Kang, exhibited remarkable magical potential, but Gorion, despite being an experienced mage of some repute himself, strictly forbade him from the study of magic, telling Kang that "it is for the best, when you are old enough, I will explain."

Although Kang loved his adoptive father for saving his life and providing a comfortable and mostly happy childhood, he could not help but harbour some resentment for what he saw as Gorion's overbearing control. Kang largely respected the strict rules of his Fortress Library home of Candlekeep, but an insatiable curiosity and hunger for the fantastic power that Gorion possessed drove him to secretly seek out tomes on the arcane, and more than once he had been caught spying on Gorion or other mages practising their spells.

Perhaps as a sign of his innate magical talent, without ever receiving formal instruction, young Kang had already mastered simple spells to generate bolts of energy resembling Magic Missiles, and learnt how to put dogs to sleep with a simple muttered charm.

As of yet, Kang's respect for the traditions and rules of Candlekeep, and love for Gorion, has meant that he has resisted the urge to try his sleep charm on the Candlekeep Gate Watchers and run away from home, but his heart is filled with an eager urge to leave his childhood behind and explore the world beyond its safe but confined walls... It as as he fantasized about that freedom when Gorion suddenly knocked on his door, his face grave and concerned, like Kang had never seen before in his entire life...

Name: Kang
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Str: 12
    Dex: 14
    Con: 14
    Int: 18
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 12

He has a Quarterstaff, a sling and 20 bullets.

I had planned to distribute equipment at the beginning, but given some of you are joining the party after Candlekeep, it would make sense we all had some basic starting gear. That means for example an archer should have some leather armour, a bow and some arrows, a frontline warrior should have perhaps Scaled Armour, Shield, Helmet and a Sword/Scimitar/Flail etc...

Nobody should have like Robe of Archmagi or Full Plate at this stage, or any magical items.

I've been used to playing very upright Lawful Good characters, even when I don't intend to, so I guess I will use 'Kang' to roleplay a more selfish and power hungry individual, but not evil as he clearly has a great deal of empathy and respect for law and order.
    Great bio Heindrich - Apologies I haven't sent mine yet, quite hectic today, no plans tomorrow so I'll sort everything out then. @Cadros are you still up for this?
    @SquareTin
    Thanks, but still awaiting your bio :P

I've received one from @Liberelli already, so thanks for that. I'd hope to starting something fairly soon, cos I am likely to get busier closer to Xmas.

@Cadros, really need a yes or no and some idea of level of commitment soon.
    Name: Olias
    Class: Cleric
    Alignment: Neutral Good

Str: 12
    Dex: 10
    Con: 14
    Int: 16
    Wis: 17
    Cha: 11

Thought I'd try being a Cleric as I've never used them.
    Last person would have to be a fighter type and then we're sorted.

I'll PM the bio :)