1. Star Trek
    2. Stargate
    3. Babylon 5
    4. Doctor Who
    5. Forgotten Realms
    6. The X-Files
    7. Star Wars
    8. Middle Earth

Special mention to Firefly. Had it's universe been more developed I would have ranked it. Darn you Fox (shakes fist).
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @elminster - how could I forget X-Files? That's my all time favorite television series!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

@elminster - how could I forget X-Files? That's my all time favorite television series!

The truth is out there :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    shawne said:

My favorite fictional world in general is probably the world of the Four Nations from "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "Legend of Korra".

Completely slipped my mind. I'd earthbend the hell out of everything!

Speaking of television series, the setting from 4400 was pretty awesome.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Middle Earth is the only answer to that question for me!

Speaking of television series, the setting from 4400 was pretty awesome.

Both the 4400 and Heroes felt like X-men knock-offs to me, though I still enjoyed the series)*. Not a universe I want to live in though. Accidentally cut someone off on the freeway and it turns out he can bend magnets and crumple your car like a tin can. No thank you!

*I enjoyed heroes up to the third season where it became clear that the writers were just making stuff up on the spot and the entire plot sunk into the swamp.
    @Drugar - I enjoyed the first season of Heroes, but season two jumped the shark for me. The first half, when Hiro is in ancient Japan, has been painful to go through. I didn't even bother with season three. 4400, on the other hand, was starting to have great plot hooks right when the writers started jumping the shark. Imo, seasons three and four had the best ideas, and they were carried out the worst.
    @AndreaColombo
    Aye, felt the same way about the 4400, it was clumsily executed in some ways but the fourth season was really interesting. The world got completely reshaped and then...the series was cancelled. I hate it when that happens.
    Heroes was a clear result of trying to be edgy and complicated and instead making it a jumbled mess of aborted plotlines and hidden agenda's within hidden agenda's. It started off really well in S1 because it had focus; Sylar and a nuclear threat. It started in S2 (which got mauled by the writer's strike) but the chaos really broke loose in S3. Interesting characters, interesting ideas, horrible pacing, plotlines and a complete lack of order.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012

@Drugar - I enjoyed the first season of Heroes, but season two jumped the shark for me. The first half, when Hiro is in ancient Japan, has been painful to go through. I didn't even bother with season three. 4400, on the other hand, was starting to have great plot hooks right when the writers started jumping the shark. Imo, seasons three and four had the best ideas, and they were carried out the worst.

I turned heroes after the end of the first episode of season 3. Suffice to say that because of the plot of that episode I lost interest in the show (to be fair by that point I had also been gradually losing interest).
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Thels- well, humans are doing a pretty good job of demolishing the earth right now, i think.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Forgotten Realms, Middle Earth, Fallout.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2012
    Eberron.
    Edit:
    If I had the time, creative talent and modding expertise I'd make a full conversion eberron mod.

I also like the palladium fantasy world with it's romanesque wolfen, cthulhuesque horror and (related to the latter) pseudo egyptian cosmology. I'd prefer an eberron style religion/alignment system where the source of divine powers was less certain though. This would tie in nicely with the suspicion of some (in game fantasy) scholars that contest that all magic originates with to the old ones and it's use gives then power (and may awaken them)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Whoops I forgot about the Thief "world," though they progressively degraded it through the sequels.
  • Flameguard27Flameguard27 Member Posts: 37
    1. Mass Effect
    2. Stargate
    3. Dragon Age
    4. Forgotten Realms
    5. Marvel Universe
    6. World of Darkness (from Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines)
    7. Starcraft
    8. Star Wars
    9. Portal/Half-life
    10. Farscape
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    star trek. ToS was good, I grew up with TNG, loving it, data was awesome, worf was awesome, picard was awesome, gordi was awesome, dr crusher and troi was hot..... when i grew up i wanted through DS9, about a dozen + times, and loved it. Voyager was good until around season 4 or 5, then was ehhh. Enterprise i loved and was a great reboot to the series i thought, but it died early, probalby due to being on UPN. I hope a new trek comes out, but if not, i always have my reruns, and 1 good game (maybe 2)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick I'd rather kiss Nelix than watch an episode of Enterprise.
  • claudiotkd4claudiotkd4 Member Posts: 7
    1. Forgotten Realms
    2. Dragonlance
    3. Mass Effect
    4. Star Wars
    5. Middle Earth
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    @Grammarsalad, whoa!, I just checked Eberron; skyships, "magical lanterns throughout the streets", and influences like Il nome della rosa, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    1. Ours is pretty cool.
    2. Mine is also fun.
    3. Middle Earth
    4. I stopped counting.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Fantasy: Planescape seems like something that really needs to be explored more, but I think Westeros (Song of Ice and Fire) is the best-written fantasy setting.
    Sci Fi: Browncoats unite! The Firefly setting is just a whole lot of fun.
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Bjjorick said:

I hope a new trek comes out, but if not, i always have my reruns, and 1 good game (maybe 2)

I don't, because I just know they're going to try and make another Battlestar Galactica out of it or something.
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    I'd say Mass Effect and Forgotten Realms, in that order. I like the whole idea of the whole cosmos being open to those who are willing to study magic, (dimension door and whatnot), although I'd still prefer the comfortable future of the ME series.
    Zafiro said:

@Grammarsalad, whoa!, I just checked Eberron; skyships, "magical lanterns throughout the streets", and influences like Il nome della rosa, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.

For fun look up "religion in eberron". Much more interesting imo than the standard fare.
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2012
    1) Final Fantasy and JRPG, someway, "high estetic" in videogames
    2) Baldurs Gate 2 very unique fantasy world for my game expirence and ICeWind Dale 2
    3) Star Wars universe. Saga about a boy and a girl and a universe. Saga about rebelion and romance.
    4) Heroes Of Might And Magic 6
    5) Arcanum. Steampunk (Who add word "Punk", that means dirt for a such kind of universe?)
    6) Star Trek Voyager "explore of space" attitude
    Post edited by Silver_Moon on
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Krynn ; DragonLance !!!´No question about it !!!! And Twin Peaks in 2 nd. :P
    lordkim said:

A onet time there was a full conversion dragonlance mod in progress but the author abandoned it...was loling forward to it
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    lordkim said:

I love both of these, if only we could mix them together in some kind of hybrid.

Tanis: Otik, that's some damn fine coffee.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I forgot about steampunk. Arcanum was a great game.