Inconsistent Quayle?

2»

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited December 2013
    Calmar said:

Coutelier said:

Calmar said:

Aerie is spoiled and immature. I suppose Quayle actually only raised her for a couple of days, maybe a week or two, before Charname shows up to take her adventuring.

Yes; shutting someone in a cage and neglecting them for a long time, then having them help out doing jobs and chores in an environment where everyone is constantly hurrying to get their next show ready is how you spoil someone.
    At one point I had her ragequit my party because I didn't submit to her constant desire for attention every time. :P
    Either it was late in the romance and you were mean, or it was about Korgan; in both cases, there's a whole lot of other stuff going on. Really, she's the opposite of spoiled; she's not used to attention at all (well, she's used to being looked at or smacked, but that's a different type of attention), and giving it gets to her a bit, especially the more she starts trusting you. Otherwise, she's not materialistic or really all that demanding. If you'd said no sooner she would have just quietly left you alone.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Just because Quayle was a jerk to Charname doesn't mean he's a jerk to everyone... Even Sarevok and Irenicus had people they cared about.

He's old, grumpy, and chaotic neutral. Maybe he just likes to play the fool around strangers, or maybe it's part of his circus act. We ALL wear a mask around strangers...

Also... Quayle is a gnome, Aerie is an elf. Two races that can easily live for over 500 years... So Quayle could have raised and cared for Aerie 50 years ago and it would still make sense.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Just because Quayle was a jerk to Charname doesn't mean he's a jerk to everyone... Even Sarevok and Irenicus had people they cared about.

He's old, grumpy, and chaotic neutral. Maybe he just likes to play the fool around strangers, or maybe it's part of his circus act. We ALL wear a mask around strangers...

Also... Quayle is a gnome, Aerie is an elf. Two races that can easily live for over 500 years... So Quayle could have raised and cared for Aerie 50 years ago and it would still make sense.

Nah. Shortly before leaving, Aerie goes on about how Quayle is kind and wise and he basically says "Eh, I didn't use to be like this, you changed me". Doesn't seem to fit that he changed from being a cranky arrogant douche to a kind and helpful father-figure who masqueraded as being a douche again while away from the circus.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    @Silverstar

I don't think he ever pretended or changed. He's a massive douche, but he also has a very caring side. You just don't know him long enough in BG1 to see both sides.

The same happens with many characters... Jaheira is always rude and annoying in BG1, most people forget that she insults you when you first meet her.