Skip to content

Can I import classic BG1 character files into BG2EE?

So a few years ago I finally finished BG1 and kept the save games and exported character with the idea I'd play BG2 eventually. Since BG2EE is out I am wondering if I can import the BG1 character file into the new version? In other words, is the character file format unchanged from the classic edition?

Comments

• KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    I would think so, but I can't swear to it since I've never tried. I can tell you that I successfully imported BG:EE characters into the old BG2, so it might work the other way around as well.
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    Where does BG2EE store and import the CHR files from? I don't see a Characters directory like BG1.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Nerva It's in your documents directory inside Baldur's Gate folder. And I haven't tried importing vanilla BG characters either.
    OK, it keeps crashing when I try to import either a CHR file or the BG1 final savegame. When I try importing the savegame it lists my character, but when I select it and click import, the game crashes.
    Has anyone imported BG1 CHR or savegames into BG1EE? I'm thinking if that works I could import the BG1 character into BG1EE then export it and import that version into BG2EE...
  • ZeggyZonZeggyZon Member Posts: 1
    I was able too by importing it into BG1EE first then saved the CHR then imported that into BG2EE. Seems to work so far im almost finished with chap2 and the side quests.

Trying to import a BG1 classic CHR into EEKeeper doesn't work either just crashes.

ZZ
    edited December 2013
    OK, it gets weirder... so, I tried starting a new game in BG1EE and importing my level 7/7 Cleric/Ranger... it proceeded to keep the 160,000 XP and HP's but thought he was level 1/1 -- clicked on level up and suddenly he's got an absurd number of HP's. So then I tried setting the options so it would only import stats but not experience or items -- this time he's level 1/1. OK, so then I tried importing the stats only into BG2EE -- it made him level 6/6 with 90,000 XP -- so I am thinking BG2EE can't handle the TotSC XP cap for some reason.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Nerva Could you upload the character file for us to check?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I just copied my character files from BGEE character folder to the character folder in BG2EE and have had no issues with them.

You get two options for how to use them - if you choose the character from the list of characters you see immediately at the top of the first character creation screen (like the premade options) they will come into BG2EE at whatever level you exported them at.

If you choose create character and then use the import button they will be auto-leveled to BG2EE levels.
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Wanderon said:

I just copied my character files from BGEE character folder to the character folder in BG2EE and have had no issues with them.

OP is having problems importing from classic BG not BGEE.

Edit: stupid me i thought i was on page one of the forum. Sorry for necromancy