Skip to content

Half-Ogres

DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
I'm not sure the stats that a half ogre is meant to possess in 2/2.5E but I know from my core rules CD that the class options were as such:

Fighter
Cleric
Ranger
Druid

Barbarian would also be a great fit.

Therefore I can guess multiclasses of Fighter/Cleric, Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Druid and possibly Ranger/Druid (which they SHOULD ADD) would work too.

Any thoughts on Half-ogres? Surely Half-Ogres wouldn't be too insane compared to some races suggested.
Post edited by Dazzu on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Aren't half-ogres supposed to be larger than regular humanoids (humans, elfs, even half-orcs)? One of their disadvantages should be that they can't fit in most equipment.

I guess you could use the sprite that already exists for half-ogres though.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    One thing that came to mind as well is that if we're using the sprite for ogre that's already in the game, isn't that sprite wider than typical sprites? If it is, won't the PC be unable to get through some areas, like going from the 2nd floor in the de'Arnise Keep to the Basement? I know I always kill the Iron Golem in the treasure room by having a mage/sorceror memorize a ton of MMM and hurl them at it while it struggles/fails to get through the opening.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited June 2012
    Tazok's BG1 sprite is Half-ogre, same width as any other character.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    Just kidding then. :D Bring on the half-ogre!
    Ogres can be mages, hence the Ogre-magi. I dont know if Half-ogre magi would work though.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Half-ogre i think can be playable; half-ogre magi maybe no
    edited June 2012
    Why is everyone so disagreementative? It makes my profile look bad.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Dazzu I agree with you, it's always disappointing when someone disagrees and doesn't say why. There's no indication of negative comments here.

I personally don't feel particularly strongly on this particular race, but...it doesn't hurt to have more choice.
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    I don't think it would work that well, although I got to admit that it would be cool. Mainly I see two problems with it, one balance-wise, and one story-wise. I think half-ogres would make to powerful fighters, I mean the half-orcs is quite powerful already, just imagine a half-ogre. I also do not think it would fit very well with the storyline, since afaik half-ogres do not live in human societies (bare in mind that I am no master of DnD lore, so I might be wrong on this one).
    Str gear is so abundant that having 19 str isn't even an issue in this series. There are gloves, belts, potions, spells and weapons that offset strength issues.

At the very least, it'd be less crazy thn Drow which everyone thinks is the most logical race choice ever for some reason.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Half-ogres aren't a bad idea. But we specifically aren't allowed to do this. I can't really go into detail because I don't have all the reasons why, but there was a discussion about half-ogres and we can't do them.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @PhillipDaigle Probably because you can't get the voice actor to come back and redo the voice set that includes, "Me will crush! Crush you to goo!"

;)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Half-ogres aren't a bad idea. But we specifically aren't allowed to do this. I can't really go into detail because I don't have all the reasons why, but there was a discussion about half-ogres and we can't do them.
    Wikipedia tells me half-ogres were playable in 1E but removed from 2E DnD
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @PhillipDaigle It is a shame that such abnormalities occur, and stop such characters being made, although shadowkeeper can help a fan who is determined to make a character like that. I take solace in imagining the ridiculous situation of a board room of executives arguing that the inclusion of a half ogre sub race type in this remake of a game over a decade old is going to negatively impact their business interests to a significant extent.

I know the answer is likely "no", "we cannot say" or "we don't know" but would it be legal/ acceptable to add the models for sub races in such a way as equipment shows up normally (obviously only so that we can see the equipment on the monsters we are fighting) as on a player character, and leave the rest to modders?
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2012
    Half-ogres are typically stupid in the same way that halflings are typically short.

Wikipedia is wrong unless Unearthed Arcana introduced it, and UA is realistically 2e alpha. Nothing from Dragon magazine of that era was official. They just gave the rules for it if the DM wanted to include it, but that's the case for anything unofficial anyway.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @technophobe easy enough to knock a few points off their max int
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654

I know the answer is likely "no", "we cannot say" or "we don't know" but would it be legal/ acceptable to add the models for sub races in such a way as equipment shows up normally (obviously only so that we can see the equipment on the monsters we are fighting) as on a player character, and leave the rest to modders?
    Well, technically there's nothing stopping modders from adding models for half-ogres if they so desire :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    Hmmm now that I did some more googling... The Complete Book of Humanoids and Players Option: Skills & Powers, both 2E books, allows half-ogres. And also the Complete Book of Humanoids allows:

aarakocra (bird-men), alaghi (basically normal heighted bigfoots), beastman, bugbear, bullywug (frog man), centaur, fremlin, giant-kin (firbolg), giant-kin (voadkyn) aka "wood giant", gnoll, gnoll (flind), goblin, hobgoblin, kobold, lizard man, minotaur, mongrelman (a human/monster mix), ogre, orc, half-orc, pixie, satyr, saurial, swanmay (human swan shapeshifter), and wemic (half human half lion almost centaur thingy).
    the Players Handbook only allowed players to choose from six player character races, while Complete Book of Humanoids expands the number of race options by 20.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    Could the race tables be moddable then? That'd help push this game above the original, that way modders can add these races as they're needed.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Imho if you can create a character half-orc, i don't see the problem to create an half-ogre. Simple :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Nevermind half-ogres doesn't live in human society. Look at what we learn from Throne of Bhaal.

Imagine how Gorion, 20 years ago in the Bhaal's temple, had to decide which child he should save: human one (young Sarevok) or.... half-ogre (). As surprising as it is, he decides to adpot half-ogre. That's just cute and such realistic... If you know what I mean.

Even half-orc is not really realistic pick, not to mention half-ogre. As cool as playing half-ogre might be, I don't want to see it in game, because of plot issues. That's just my opinon, thought.
    Half-ogres are as realistic as any other race, and if you think about it, Half-Ogres actually reach adulthood at around 20 if I recall correctly, making them seem more logical than Elves, Gnomes and Dwarves as only having lived 2 decades.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Ogrillions! "Time fer sum carnage!"
    Man, if stuff like Aasimars and Drow can get droves of debates, why can't a AD&D 2e standard get some love before being forever forgotten.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I would play them. I mean, in Arcanum, half ogres were always my favorite race. Besides, they look awesome in BG1 :D

Slightly off topic now, mr. @PhillipDaigle 's post make me think - why don't hobgoblins say "BACKWARD MARCH" when they go into moral failure? XD
    So.... nobody wants to chat the 8th Race that 2E Dnd actually has... why? Someone please, support something that's actually different.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dazzu I have that Dragon Magazine Article where they discussed that Ernie and (Frank?) Gygax played the race in the 1e game. Their intelligence scores were absurdly low. Max of 12, I think, and a Charisma between 2 and 8. Wisdom and Dexterity also range between 3 and 12, and Strength and Constitution between 14 and 18. and if your human parent wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed? Your INT and WIS max out at 10. You get 60' infravision, and you will be between 6 and 8 feet tall and take larger than man-sized damage from weapons. If you aren't overly tall, you can get away with pretending to be a very ugly, stupid human, but that is going to be a rare occurance. But I guess if this is what you want to play, have at it!
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Ogrillions! "Time fer sum carnage!"
    "All the guys pick on me, cuz I'm only 6'8"."
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

Well, technically there's nothing stopping modders from adding models for half-ogres if they so desire :)
    We just need you guys to make it easy to add new races/sub races ;)