Skip to content

When do you go to Watchers Keep?

2»

Comments

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Let's just say that most side-quests (Keep included) make little sense from RP point of view. You should gather your money for Thieves/Vampires and make a run for Imoen. Since you cannot possibly know what kind of stuff you will find in places like Treadmeet or Windspear Hills or D'Arnise Hold, you cannot even justify going there as a way to prepare yourself for confrontation with Irenicus.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm rescuing Imoen but why not stage a nice play in my new theater before we go anywhere?
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Lathlaer said:

Otherwise, yeah, I'm rescuing Imoen but why not stage a nice play in my new theater before we go anywhere?

Immy is tough, she can handle a little extra torture. But OPENING NIGHT AT THE FIVE FLAGONS?! All must be PERFECT.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Imoen is annoying and I care nothing for her. Honestly, I don't even really want to go after Irenicus. I'd rather work my way up in the Shadow Thieves until I'm become the de facto ruler of Athkatla.

I haven't done Watcher's Keep, yet. I kinda wish I could play it between SoA and ToB, though. There was a mod component in SCS that did that but I don't think it works yet and even if it did was for Windows versions of the game only, and I use a Mac.
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    Is it possible to to some of it in SOA and finish it in TOB? Does it save your progress or is it wiped?
  • I usually do the first two levels somewhere during Chapter 2, mainly to get my hands on a Potion Bag and the ever-lovable Ammo Belt. Then I do the rest of Chapter 2 and start on Chapter 3, and finish off the Keep before heading to Brynnlaw.

As someone observed, though, this makes Brynnlaw and the Underdark pretty trivial. I mean, it feels kind of funny killing the demon knights near Demogorgon's statue in the UD after you've laid down the smack on Demogorgon himself!

This playthrough (my first with a Ranger) I'm going to save it all until at least Chapter 6, and possibly until ToB (if I can force myself to wait that long).
  • YvanobiYvanobi Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, im seeing you all speaking of being level 22 and more, can you go that far ? do you use xp caps removal or its just pushed upper the xp lev you can reach in BGII EE, im actually lev 11/12 and killing firkraag/shadowdragon and pretty much everything
  • @Yvanobi The default experience cap for BG2EE (and vanilla ToB for that matter) is 8 million. With a full party of 6 people and doing most quests/encounters in the game, I generally wind up at around 6.5-7 million xp by the end of the game.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Always after SoA. Feels like the best time to do it, otherwise I'm way too high levelled for the Irenicus fights.
    Yvanobi said:

Hey guys, im seeing you all speaking of being level 22 and more, can you go that far ? do you use xp caps removal or its just pushed upper the xp lev you can reach in BGII EE, im actually lev 11/12 and killing firkraag/shadowdragon and pretty much everything

Also, you cannot compare levels :)

Level 22 of a Bard is a whole different thing than level 22 of a Mage or a Druid. Hey, level-wise Druids get their HLA fastest (15th level). But when you compare XP, it all evens out.

• drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Doing it all before the Underdark would make everything there way to easy. The game would just get boring then if the Underdark doesn't pose a challenge.
    Yeah, so I looked at my XP values and I'm not that convinced if I'm going to get HLA with any character before final seal breaking. Which means no powerful traps, no planetars and it's possible that Aurumach Rilmani, Nalmissra and other bunch of time stop-invulnerable folks will beat the s**t out of me :)

After Underdark it is, then/