Skip to content

Themed all-PC party builds

abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
Ok, a confession... I probably spend more time on RPG's creating character concepts than I do actually playing the game. This leaves me with lots of low-mid level saves and very few complete runs.
In that vein, and just for fun, here are a few themed parties from non-D&D media translated into BG:

The classic:
Aragorn - Paladin
Gandalf - Sorcerer
Legolas - Archer
Gimli - Dw.Defender
Frodo - Shadow Dancer
Boromir - Fighter

Discworld all-stars:
Vetinari - Assassin
Vimes - Berserker
Cohen the Barbarian
Lu-Tze - Monk
Rincewind - Wild Mage
Carrot - Paladin

Firefly:
Mal - Thief>Fighter
Jayne - Barbarian
River - Sorceress
Simon - Priest
Book - Monk
Inara - Blade

Batman Villains:
Joker - Jester
Bane - Berserker
Ra's al Ghul - Blackguard
Ivy - Avenger
Catwoman - Thief
Scarecrow - Enchanter

Skyrim:
Dragonborn - Dragon Disciple
Karliah - Thief
Cicero - Jester
Farkas - Fighter
Faralda - Invoker
Delphine - Cavalier

Anyone else play around with these sorts of builds?

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I know what you mean, but for me Strider is the Ranger, whilst Aragorn Elessar is more of a classic knight figure by the time he reaches Helm's Deep... also Lay on Hands = "... hands of a king are the hands of a healer."
  • CarunCarun Member Posts: 2
    Greebo: Rincewind's familiar (CN -> cat) :D
    Really wanted to get the Librarian in.. But shapeshifter is nowhere near... Maybe rename Wilson?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    The Death Eaters - of course all have to be casters of some sort.

Marvolo - Male, NE, Human, Necromancer - Party leader and Bhaalspawn.
    Bella - Female, CE, Half-elf, Fighter/Mage
    Lucius - Male, LE, Elf, Fighter/Cleric
    "The Rat" - Male, NE, Gnome, Thief/Illusionist
    Dolores - Female, LE, Human, Enchanter
    Barty Jr. - Male, CE, Half-elf, Wild mage
  • Dux89Dux89 Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2013
    abacus said:

Ok, a confession... I probably spend more time on RPG's creating character concepts than I do actually playing the game. This leaves me with lots of low-mid level saves and very few complete runs.
    In that vein, and just for fun, here are a few themed parties from non-D&D media translated into BG:

The classic:
    Aragorn - Paladin
    Gandalf - Sorcerer
    Legolas - Archer
    Gimli - Dw.Defender
    Frodo - Shadow Dancer
    Boromir - Fighter

Discworld all-stars:
    Vetinari - Assassin
    Vimes - Berserker
    Cohen the Barbarian
    Lu-Tze - Monk
    Rincewind - Wild Mage
    Carrot - Paladin

Firefly:
    Mal - Thief>Fighter
    Jayne - Barbarian
    River - Sorceress
    Simon - Priest
    Book - Monk
    Inara - Blade

Batman Villains:
    Joker - Jester
    Bane - Berserker
    Ra's al Ghul - Blackguard
    Ivy - Avenger
    Catwoman - Thief
    Scarecrow - Enchanter

Skyrim:
    Dragonborn - Dragon Disciple
    Karliah - Thief
    Cicero - Jester
    Farkas - Fighter
    Faralda - Invoker
    Delphine - Cavalier

Anyone else play around with these sorts of builds?

But... but... the Ranger class IS Aragorn. He can heal with spells if it's the healing you're concerned with! The only example I can think of of two-weapon-fighting in the world of fictional characters who inspire rangers other than Drizzt? Aragorn wielding two flaming brands in FotR. D&D 2E's requirement that rangers must be good? Thanks Aragorn. I agree that in D&D 3E he'd be a ranger who duals to paladin but in 2E...

Also Frodo as Shadowdancer: lol. Invisibility didn't come to him naturally...

Anyway. Anyone ever do an all-stealth party? Only thieves and rangers? I'd be interested in hearing about the experience.

What about A Song of Ice and Fire? They'd be much more magical in BG than they are in the series (Even if he was never officially named to their exclusive club in the series, Jon Snow is spot-on for a Ranger in every other department except the spellcasting) but you can imagine that in this particular fantasy setting, they'd pick up those skills easily if they came with a class that otherwise made sense. They'd all be human.

Jon Snow - Ranger
    Tyrion Lannister - Bard?
    Daenerys Targaeryen - Dragon Disciple!
    Arya Stark - Assassin or Fighter/Thief
    Bran Stark - Druid (maybe a better character would be Bran Stark on Hodor's Back - Fighter/Druid!)
    Jaime Lannister - Paladin (not sure the alignment is there)? Pure-class Fighter?

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    BG theme.

Abdel - Male TN Human Fighter
    Xzar - CE Human Necromancer
    Montaron - NE Halfling Fighter/Thief
    Imoen - NG Human Thief (planning to dual to Mage in SoA)
    Kivan - CG Elf Ranger
    Ajantis - LG Paladin

Am I doing it right?

(Bonus points to anyone who can guess why these particular characters were picked).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Probably not for BG, but BP:

Spartacus Blood & Sand:

Spartacus - LG Paladin (it's a stretch, but his wife saw his path as chosen by her gods, it's more class diversity than a perfect match)
    Gannicus - NG Barbarian
    Sura - CG Diviner
    Lucius - CG Ranger/Archer kit
    Ashur - NE Assassin
    Lucretia - NE Cleric (again a stretch, but I rather play her as false prophet than the medicus as actual healer)
    edited December 2013
    Frodo gets SD as the easiest way to depict his ability to disappear (he'll take the ring of invis too) the deduction to thieving points is also pretty apt as he really wouldn't be a straight thief.
    The Aragorn thing is just a personal interp. I'm aware that the Strider aspect of him is one of the inspirations for the Ranger class, but I prefer the later iteration of him as the proclaimed heir to Elendil. Leadership, nobility and righteous wrath. (Edit: also he only really dual wields at one point, Anduril is supposed to be a bastard sword, but certainly in the movies is about 5' long and comes across as more of a two hander.)
    Also, with Leggy along, another Ranger seems superfluous.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Mmm, ranger dualed into barbarian sounds like an awesome class.

Tsukiko should be a cleric/mage, since she's a mystic theurge.
    @belgarathmth - Love the Buffy party. Rage state is probably the best way to go for vamp state. Maybe Giles as Cleric as he's the most wisdom based?

@dux89 - Melisandre as Cleric>Mage? Religious leader with arcane
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143

Dux89 said:

abacus said:

Jon Snow - Ranger
    Tyrion Lannister - Bard?
    Daenerys Targaeryen - Dragon Disciple!
    Arya Stark - Assassin or Fighter/Thief
    Bran Stark - Druid (maybe a better character would be Bran Stark on Hodor's Back - Fighter/Druid!)
    Jaime Lannister - Paladin (not sure the alignment is there)? Pure-class Fighter?

I wanted to right this and then I saw you already did so some charachters may already be mentioned in your comment:

Jon Snow - human Ranger ( using bastard swords )
    Daenarys - human Dragon Disciple
    Arya - halfling (since she's still a child ) Shadowdancer
    Khal Drogo - human Barbarian
    Tyrion - dwarven Dwarven Defender
    Melissandre - human Priest

other characters:
    Bran - Druid ( should've been a halfling too but a halfling cant be a druid :( )
    Asha Greyjoy - warrior ( using axes )
    Theon Greyjoy - archer
    Eddard Stark - paladin

Lt Sharpe - Fighter
    Sgt Harper - Berserker
    Hagman - Archer
    Harris - Bard (he can actually read)
    Teresa - Kensai (fierce, but squishy)
    Mjr Hogan - Bounty Hunter (creeps about behind enemy lines, blows up bridges etc)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    @abacus
    Things I would change:
    NOTHING.
    Unless you decided to change Sarevok into Obadiah Hakeswill. They sort of have the same thing going on too, the nemesis that never dies. Well.... he did die after multiple things that should have killed him.

http://sharpe.wikia.com/wiki/Obadiah_Hakeswill
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dux89 said:

Anyway. Anyone ever do an all-stealth party? Only thieves and rangers? I'd be interested in hearing about the experience.

I -almost- did one in BGII back in the dark ages. Had me as assassin, a custom party member thief, Imoen and I picked up Viconia (hence the almost) to cut down on resting times. I had her hang around the back of the maps or chugging invisibility potions though. Truth be told I could've managed without her, it just would've taken a lot longer due to healing wounds by means of sleep and I dislike having it say "1003 days and 23 hours" on my save games :P

It went fairly well, I got all the way through Suldanesselar. Lost interest shortly before fight with end boss due to not having the expansion. I took out a lot of bosses in a somewhat cheap way though by plastering traps all around them before the fights started. The black dragon in elftown died over the course of like 5 seconds of the game lagging from all the arrows firing off from traps before turning it into a smoking corpse.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Pantalion said:

BG theme.

Kivan - CG Elf Ranger
    Ajantis - LG Paladin

Am I doing it right?

(Bonus points to anyone who can guess why these particular characters were picked).

@Pantalion, isn't that the crew from the BG novel?
  • Dux89Dux89 Member Posts: 47
    marceror said:

Pantalion said:

BG theme.

Kivan - CG Elf Ranger
    Ajantis - LG Paladin

Am I doing it right?

That's what I thought at first but Jaheira was definitely in the novel party...
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Dux89 said:

I did. In old BGTutu. Pretty funny, even a bit too easy.
    I believe I had an Assassin + Montaron + Imoen + Shar-Teel. Maybe Kivan or Safana. Not sure now, but I had 4 or tops 5 ppl in the group.
    Most fights ended in the second round.
    Haven't got around to play more than to Bandit Camp though.
    edited December 2013
    I don't usually do this, but since I've become a recent fan of The Walking Dead (thanks Netflix), here's my Walking Dead party:

1. Rick – Paladin (a defender of law, and clearly a force for good)
    2. Michonne – Fighter/Necromancer (Necro because early on she traveled around with a pair of undead in chains, and her mysterious ways seems to have a hint of magic to them)
    3. Daryl – Ranger (obvious – tracker, archer)
    4. Glenn – Thief (he’s quick, and adept at getting in and out of places)
    5. Herschel – Cleric (I considered Carol, but Herschel is the better healer)

There are a lot of choices for the 6th slot that I’m considering, but I’m going to go with Merle, who ultimately did show himself to be a friend, and was one of the stronger “soldiers” in the group. So...
    6. Merle – Barbarian (about as brute force as it gets)

EDIT - Corrected Rick's named. I had originally written Jim (I must have been thinking of Jim Halpert from The Office -- eek!). Thanks to booinyoureyes for catching this!
    Post edited by marceror on
    Dux89 said:

marceror said:

Pantalion said:

BG theme.

Kivan - CG Elf Ranger
    Ajantis - LG Paladin

Am I doing it right?

That's what I thought at first but Jaheira was definitely in the novel party...
    Oh, right. In my defense, I never actually read the novel, and have very little motivation to do so.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    K.. a CN theme..

(Captain) Jack Sparrow - Swashbuckler
    Ash (Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell) - Fighter
    Snake Plissken - Fighter/Thief
    Q - Sorcerer
    Conan - Barbarian
    Peter Venkman - (Undead Hunter without alignment restriction ;))
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    How about a "Friends" party ?

:-)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2013
    @AnotherLife, LOL.

I can't resist your challenge - ROFLMAO. Hmmm....

Monica - LG Human Inquisitor (she wants everything *just so*, and goes ballistic when it's not)
    Ross - CN Human Swashbuckler (he's an archaeologist, crafty, sneaky, and an Indiana Jones wannabe - probably minimum Dexterity, Strength, and Constitution for the class.)
    Rachel - CN Human Bard (or maybe Enchantress - she relies on her Charisma and charm spells)
    Joey - CN Human Fighter with maxed out Charisma - "Hey, how you doin'?"
    Phoebe - CN Wild Mage (come on - what else could Phoebe possibly be?)
    Chandler - LN Cleric of Waukeen (this guy cares about nothing but money and hedonism, but prefers order and planning over impulse, and an unlikely match for Monica, plus, this group desperately needs a cleric. I think that Chandler would have Wisdom far below getting any bonus spells, however, probably minimum Wisdom for a cleric.)

LOL - I think the "Friends" would get their arses handed to them by BG and IWD - but, they might make an interesting "challenge" party.

edited December 2013
    In the spirit of @AnotherLife's challenge, let's try to do some more comedy troupes:

Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: LN Elf Mage-Thief (theoretical physics and godlike hacking ability)
    Leonard: NG Half-Elf Invoker (practical/experimental physics)
    Howard: CN Gnome Illusionist (all flash and no substance)
    Penny: CN Human Bard (she's an actress wannabe)
    Bernadette: LN Dwarf Cleric of Oghma (she's a micro-biologist, closest to "healer" this group is going to get)
    Amy: LN Human Necromancer (a neurologist, she experiments on animals and then dissects their brains for a living)

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Raj! He's my favorite character from the show. Maybe:

Rajeesh: TN Druid (he nurtures the rest of the cast, and he has an animal companion lap dog named "Cinnamon".)

How I Met Your Mother:

Ted: LN Fighter (architect's mind, the "hero" of the group)
    Marshall: LN Cleric of Helm (just because they need a cleric, and Helm fits a lawyer the best)
    Barney: CN Thief (great hacking skills, the consummate rogue, high Charisma, could be Bard, especially considering Neal Patrick Harris' resume, but they need a thief, and he's the best candidate.)
    Lily: CN Sorceress (just because, you know, she was Willow - what else would she be?)
    Robin: LN Bard (newscaster = storyteller, plus, she clearly has high Charisma)

Take your pick for a sixth - this is really a five-member party, very high on Charisma and Intelligence, but very low on Wisdom and all three athletic stats - could be a very interesting challenge.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Buffy - LG Human Undead Slayer
    Willow - CG Human Thief>Mage
    Xander - NG Human Fighter
    Giles - LG Human Mage
    Angel - CG Human Berserker (Closest to vampire abilities? "Vamping out" would be the berserk state.)
    Spike - CN/CE Human Berserker

But I think Giles should be a priest of Lanthander. Since it has skills against the undead and it fits more in a rp sense because he has lot of knowledge about vampires and what not, but has no real strength against it. Also he is know to use a little bit of magic in the series, but stays away from black magic unlike Willow so thats another reason for him to divine casting abilities.
    edited December 2013
    @Alexisisinneed, but, Giles is a librarian, and a storehouse of knowledge and lore about the things faced by the "Scooby gang.". His bookishness says "wizard" to me. Plus, he'd be first in line to debunk any creature calling itself a "god". And, he doesn't heal.

In the final season of the series, Giles is able to go toe to toe with Willow in arcane battle, even temporarily cutting off her magic and immobilizing her.

I suppose one could interpret the spells that Giles casts on Willow as a Silence and a Hold Person, though, so, maybe Cleric of Oghma works.

Hmm, yeah, the more I think about it, Cleric of Oghma incorporates both his librarianship and his known casting of Silence (temporarily disables Willow's casting), and Hold Person.

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    After recently watching The Hobbit for the first time (a movie that should really have been named The Dwarfs), making a full dwarf party is an idea I've entertained. Probably do it in ID2 though since the game is made for entirely custom parties.