Skip to content

exported character names

In the original game, when exporting a character, the name could only contain 8 characters (I believe). You guys have already improved this, however, when then attempting to import a character, the import dialog only shows the first 8 characters of the exported name (which is likely now longer than 8 chars).

Comments

• EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013
    I did not encounter this problem; I was able to import characters with names more than 8 character in length without any problem.

If anyone does encounter this problem, however, then it is easy to fix because you can rename your character after import through the customization process.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2013
    I believe they were talking about the name of the exported file, not the character's name. I wouldn't mind longer filenames as I would like to be more descriptive. I have a huge directory choc-full of characters I simply can't identify because I haven't abided by an established naming convention, like nrftm4 for the 4th attempt on a no-reload fighter/thief/mage, instead I have char1, a1-9 and cropped character names like aegesilu etc. (I was young)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited December 2013
    @smite_of_bloodstone, I'm not actually sure what you mean. Exported characters still have their file name truncated to eight characters, but character names can be up to 32 char/byte characters.

When importing, I haven't found any problem either way; character names are not truncated, but the exported file name is (it was when exporting). Can you clarify?
  • Sorry. I should have been more clear.

You can export a character into a file that can *now* be more than 8 letters long.
    When you go to import that character into one of the 6 character slots, that import dialog still only displays the first 8 letters of the file name.

If you know the file name, you can still select it and import the character properly.

My only complaint is that if I name my files
    mycharacter1
    mycharacter2
    the import dialog is going to ask me to choose between
    mycharac
    mycharac
    which is slightly confusing.

Thank you for reading my comment.