Skip to content

Ding's 8 cats=schools of magic? *Spoilers*

Just found the kitties. This quest was MUCH more fun for me than it should have been. Also noticed a cool Easter Egg that most people probably did too, but just in case you missed it:

Cat Name: School of Magic

Abby: Abjurer
Connie: Conjurer
Divine: Divination
Chanticleer: Enchantment
Eevo: Eevocation
Lucy: Illusion Lucion!
Nector: Necromancy

and Dingy the ninth cat for wild surge

Comments

• AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    I had never noticed this before, that really is cool. I had a lot of fun with this quest too, and ended up taking Dings with me for all of Throne of Bhaal. He and my cat familiar were very cute wastes of space in my inventory. I probably should have listened to Jaheira to be quite honest.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    wait... you can get dings?????????????????????????
    Howhowhowhow? I JUST finished this quest, lol.
    I'd LOVE Dings to be Neera's familiar!

....as Long as she doesn't eat Boo
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Excellent catch!!! :) - loved that quest, too!

I had never noticed this before, that really is cool. I had a lot of fun with this quest too, and ended up taking Dings with me for all of Throne of Bhaal. He and my cat familiar were very cute wastes of space in my inventory. I probably should have listened to Jaheira to be quite honest.

Totally agree - Dings+Cat Familiar in one pack is fun despite the wasted inventory space *^_^*
    My Blade's familiar is a pseudodragon that my girlfriend named Night Fury after the How to Train Your Dragon movie, but I think they will get along just fine.

Man, I'm gonna get so many animal companions.
    When I get further in my Avenger Druid game, and I get the stronghold, I'm gonna get Wilson and pretend he's Smokey the Bear. No forest fires on my watch! Nature's Servant Awaits!

Hehe.. I like that!! :)

I'll resume my Avenger run soon (after finishing my current SD/Mage run), too and am planning on sth very similar :)
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    Cool, I did not notice that easter egg!
    edited December 2013

I'm not sure if there is a stat requirement, but upon completion of the quest he offered Dings to me and I accepted. You can give Dings back to Ding if you talk to him before the refuge is sacked and you decide you don't want a lost inventory space. I don't know if you can do it afterwards.

If you put him on a different character and reform that character out of the party you get him back (Neera's mechanical bird does that too) so you can't just pawn him off on another npc you'll never see again. (This is how a lot of the cats my family has had over the years have been acquired lol) I don't know what happens if you just drop him. Probably nothing but I would be too guilty feeling to even attempt to do something like that.

EDIT: Sorry for that!

EDIT2: Not sorry for the STI ;)
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH @ACRIDSYPHILIS WATCH DEM SPOILERS.

also stop spreading venereal disease on this board :p
    man... I can't get Dings no matter what i say :(
    it might be a charisma or stat check. trying putting on the ring of human influence on your party leader and maybe that will help?
    no, i have 18 charisma. my only "low" stat is a 10 wisdom. I'm gonna try and cheat it up and see what happens

Worse comes to worse I'll just kidnap @Baldurscat and call her Dings from now on :p
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Could be a alignment, reputation or class restriction as well.
    @scriver @acridsyphilis

What classes did you guys use for this? My character is a blade Neutral Good
    I was a chaotic neutral mage/thief
    Oh well, too late for me :(
    Fun quest though. I gotta go beat up that woman's husband now. What a dick.
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    I spent some boring time gathering 5 of the cats, then I thought I'd do that quest in Athkatla, came back spent some boring time gathering the other 3 cats, go back -> well, *ahem spoilers* camp is gone.

Does that mean I should get rid of the rest of the catfood I have ?
    Probably... though you may regret it if you decide to fight that Rakshasa in Trademeet

Maybe after the camp is burned you can still find them? Its doubtful, but if you try it out let us know the results.
  • maerduinmaerduin Member Posts: 21
    @booinyoureyes -- Yessss!!!! I was hoping someone would notice!

The cats-as-wild-magic thing also gets a nod in Neera's opening speech to the PC, when she says that being a wild mage is like "herding cats -- blind cats who hate each other."

Boring fact:
    I agonized over "blind cats who hate each other," because it should really be "blind cats who hate one another," as herding would likely involve a group of cats larger than two. But this sounded stilted to me, grammarians are not entirely sold on the "each other"/"one another" distinction, and -- most importantly -- Neera certainly wouldn't hesitate over the distinction the way I did.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    When did they name them that? I don't remember them having names when I played (back when it was still in beta).
    iono but thats what they're named now
    I'm kinda wondering if the name "Ding" is related to any part of wild magic
  • M0tanM0tan Member Posts: 61
    I also didn't get Dings as a reward. I am Ranger, Neutral Good & 19 Charisma.

But... are there 8 or 9 cats to be rescued????