Skip to content

Beta Update (12/9/2013)

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
Hey folks,

We're pushing an update to the BG:EE beta right now; if you've already got access to the Beta, you can start updating your copy now. If you don't have access but would like access, send me an email ( dpennyway@beamdog.com ) with the following form, filled out based on your particular setup:
Beamdog email address:
Version owned (Windows, Mac, or both):
Favorite moment in BG:EE:
Want to know what's in this update? Keep reading!
· 6941: The "Luck" spell no longer removes the target's weapon proficiencies
· 6690: Dual-class characters now receive the correct number of hit points when imported
· 6679: Journal entries no longer disappear when scrolling on the Journal screen
· 6666: Arriving on the east side of an area now correctly places the party at the edge of the map
· 6639: Spells that can be written into the mage’s spellbook now display a green overlay
· 4077: User journal entries created during multiplayer no longer appear as invalid strings when created
· 6592: Portraits larger than 1024x1024 now display an error message if selected on the Custom Portrait screen instead of crashing the game
· 2259: Characters that deplete a stack of ammunition will now automatically switch to the next stack if one is available
· 2216: Combat music no longer cuts off when changing interface screens
· 5733: Subtitles now display in the correct width during movies
· 2218: The game no longer remains paused after resting (this prevents duplicate spawns from appearing in towns or other areas where rest is interrupted)
· 7092: In languages other than English, dual-classed thieves no longer get stuck with x0 backstab multipliers instead of x3
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Oh, and custom sound sets without having to follow the Custom# naming convention. That's a feature backported from BGII:EE, but it should be working in the Beta now.
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    Does this mean that if we replace the large version of an NPC portrait, it will automatically replace the medium and small versions with the higher-res one?
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    Oh yeah
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Dee said:

· 6599: All portraits in-game now use the highest-resolution version available

I hope that does not mean that it will no longer be possible to use one image for the character record and another image for the party list. For example, for the party list I use a close up of the character's face, but then for the character record I use more of the image, showing the entire body when I can. The full body view is too hard to see on in the party list, but just a face for the character record seems inadequate.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dee said:

Oh, and custom sound sets without having to follow the Custom# naming convention. That's a feature backported from BGII:EE, but it should be working in the Beta now.

Hooray! \o/
  • YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22
    How about making the Shadowdancer's backstab multiplier progression the same as in BGII EE? :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2013
    Dee said:

· 6639: Spells that can be written into the mage’s spellbook now display a green overlay

Yay! This is so helpful especially in stores. :)

Edit: Also immediately noticed that pausing now gives date and time. Very nice little addition.

Edit2: And here's a bug I haven't seen before:

edited December 2013
    Couldn't attach save to edited post. Anyway I went downstairs and force attacked Ulf. I got Enemy sighted and Target Gone auto-pause options enabled, and I see those action94 texts when the game auto-pauses.

Edit: To clarify further I didn't use hotkey I clicked on the sword attack icon and then clicked on Ulf. I also saw action84 there too at least once.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    what about poison weapon ability bug?? (it lasts 5 rounds)
  • LeoNegusLeoNegus Member Posts: 46
    I'm unable to load my saved games with this beta update. I see my saved games but when i click the Load button I get this message: We were unable to load the content for unknown. If you have not purchased it yet, please do so from the store.
    It looks like the game is looking for some DLC, but when I check the store everything seems installed. I started a new game and saved, but the same thing happens with the new saves too.
    I'm running the Mac version, on OS X 10.7.5.
    Can you attach your saved game?
    edited December 2013

Does this mean that if we replace the large version of an NPC portrait, it will automatically replace the medium and small versions with the higher-res one?

6599 didn't make it in, actually. It would have affected the NPCs in the game (so that, for instance, if you wanted to override Imoen's portrait you could do so with just the large one), but there's still a little bit of polish needed. Ignore that for now.
    Dee said:

Can you attach your saved game?

It's the new game created with the latest version of the beta.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Great news !
    @Dee, don't you think that a specific forum should be made for patches beta testing (Both for BG:EE and BG2:EE) ?
    Also, but kinda a side question : Any-chance for the BG2:EE loot-pick up feature to be added to BG:EE ?
    Aranthys said:

Great news !
    @Dee, don't you think that a specific forum should be made for patches beta testing (Both for BG:EE and BG2:EE) ?
    Also, but kinda a side question : Any-chance for the BG2:EE loot-pick up feature to be added to BG:EE ?

This is a relatively small patch for BG:EE, so I just wanted to let people know what was coming, and let people know that the beta's been updated if you want to see the changes for yourselves.

As for the quick-loot feature, it's on "the list", though it most likely won't be implemented before the end of the year.
    Thanks !
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @Dee are you going to add more bug fixes and/or features to the beta b4 releasing it as a standard update ?
    This is most likely all that will be in the patch. There may be some other things that I've missed in the list above, but the current beta is more or less what will be released.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Thanks for the update, @Dee. Lots of good things, including a few that brought many complaints.

Unfortunately
    Dee said:

· 6679: Journal entries no longer disappear when scrolling on the Journal screen

seems to have missed one issue that cause quests to "disappear" (or so it seems): the scrollbar state is still shared between quests and quests done when you don't change chapter.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. select a save game with unbalanced number of quests and quests done at a given level (Baldr015 and Baldr016)
    2. expand the bigger list, for instance in quests, and scroll to the bottom (Baldr017)
    3. switch to the other list, quests done in that example : the scrollbar is at the bottom and the list looks empty (Baldr018)
    Now you can click to bring the scrollbar to top in the quests done list and it works properly (I remember it didn't last time I checked during the beta test), but it's unintuitive to have to do so.

The scrollbar handler is properly separated for the journal and personal notes. It looks like the scrollbars are not all handled the same way. The journal part is always reset to top if you change to another list then come back, while the quests and quests done list recover thier previous state when you come back from journal or personal notes, for instance.
    Changing chapter resets the scrollbar to top in any case, it seems.
    Yep, we've got those issues logged, but they're separate issues. The Journal screen, as always, is a mixed labor of love and...love. Always love. We love the Journal screen. Love It.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    will some of these improvements also make it in BG2 EE? it would be nice to have the green look on spells you can memorise also in BG2EE
    Ryofu said:

will some of these improvements also make it in BG2 EE? it would be nice to have the green look on spells you can memorise also in BG2EE

Yes; some of these are improvements from BGII:EE being backported, and others are improvements being made to both games. I believe most - if not all - of the items in this list will also be in BGII:EE's next patch.
    Just downloaded an update for the beta and my problem was solved. Saved games now load properly.
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    Will it be possible to know if a spell has already been written or not browsing a shop inventory? At the moment it's not possible.
    Indeed, that would be great. Stiill, just having the information directly available from the inventory will be huge rather than systematically having to right click on the spell.

@Dee : Another question relative to that green filter :
    Does it displays

Only if you CAN write the spell (IE : You don't know that spell AND you haven't attained your maximum spells known per level)
    - or -
    Only if you don't know the spell (IE : Even if you have attained the maximum spells per level, it remains green, but you won't be able to write it)

Second option would be preferable, IMHO.
    At the moment, browsing a shop and systematically check every spell in the spellbook is a real pain in the a**.. Any solution would be appreciated.
    Just to let you know @Dee I was pretty close to finishing BGEE again, and well Sarevok is dead once again. That display bug was only strangeness I encountered.
  • Raphite01Raphite01 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    Do you expect that the game-freeze playability issue that some Mac players have having will be addressed in this patch?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22944/game-freezes-after-last-update/p1
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Thank you Dee. I didn't know the journal issues were split in several reports. I believe the most important ones are already fixed.
    Blash said:

At the moment, browsing a shop and systematically check every spell in the spellbook is a real pain in the a**.. Any solution would be appreciated.

If you have access to the beta, download it then. The green highlight will appear on spells of the shop inventory that you don't already know.
    I don't.
    Good to know ;-) Thanks for clarifying it.
This discussion has been closed.