Skip to content

Beta Update (12/9/2013)

Comments

• notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    My download progress is still 96.7% sinceI applied the update last night .
    What happened?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Dee
    I can't seem to download this patch. It stays stuck at 'almost finished' and will download at 400kb/s and then taper off to nothing and say "Connecting..." This happens over and over. I've left it alone for hours and progress is not increasing.

I've downloaded other beta patches just fine. What gives?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Having the same problem.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Yep. Me too.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Damn, I'm hyped Gotta send a lail to dee to get access to that beta now :D
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So, new beta for a new patch?

Might I ask how about full support for non-english language versions with dub for an original content? After almost year from release of Enhanced Editions?

Might I ask how about full support for non-english language versions with dub for an original content? After almost year from release of Enhanced Editions?

Currently, only the german version has been dubbed. And, well, yeah, I kinda agree it sucks
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Aranthys said:

Currently, only the german version has been dubbed. And, well, yeah, I kinda agree it sucks
    @Aranthys I think @ZelgadisGW meant dubbing of original content which was ready from the beginning. AFAIK german version is the only one that has NEW content dubbed.

Nevertheless you should really put full Polish version in the new patch, really. With dubbing of original content.
    Putting the dubbing mixed with the english voices of the new content kinda sucks, to be honest.
    Beamdog additional content already kinda stands out from the vanilla game, but this would be the cherry on top of the cake.
    Yeah I kinda agree, but recording Polish dub for additional content would require hiring professional actors to do it and either Beamdog or Polish community has no means to do it.
    I wonder how german content was recorded. Did they hire professional actors or did voices were recorded by the members of german community?
    Professional actors, i'd guess.
    And if it's such a pain for them, they should just launch a kickstart project about that dubbing, hell, i'm sure lots of people would support that.
    Aranthys said:

Putting the dubbing mixed with the english voices of the new content kinda sucks, to be honest.
    Beamdog additional content already kinda stands out from the vanilla game, but this would be the cherry on top of the cake.

No one asks you if that sucks or not - it's just a matter of personal taste. It's a shame, since fans can do a workaround for this in one day, while Overhaul can't implement it in one year. And this is called Enhanced not Workaround edition.

edited December 2013
    A proper Enhanced Edition would propose dubs. I absolutely agree with that.
    Now, current solution (IE : All sounds in english) is (Imho) the best solution and makes the most sense until they do the proper dubs.

Having original sounds in local language and new content in english will simply give a feeling of a low quality / batardized version.
    @Aranthys I guess in case of Polish version there are several factors that causing disappointment of Polish fans:
    1. Despite its flaws original Polish version is among the best localized RPG games in history of Polish game industry and BG1 and BG2 dubbing is arguably among the best. Most Polish players played vanilla games in Polish and are accustomed to Polish language in both games.
    2. Unfortunately many Polish players are not feeling fluent enough in written English to take full satisfaction from playing in English. For those players playing in English is a real pain.
    3. Today more and more titles are localized in cinematic manner (Polish translation/original voicing), so Polish players are accustomed to play this way. I think it's not a big deal for them that new content lacks Polish voicing. In fact, Polish versions of various games can be effectively screwed up by bad voice-acting, so there are a large group of players who like cinematic localization better. They love hearing original voices, but are not fluent enough in English to fully understand all they read.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that in Poland a good amount of anger vented on Enhanced Edition is precisely because of lack of Polish version.
    @Cahir : I'm french, and I totally agree : The EE versions need to be properly dubbed.
    I'm fond of the original french dubbing, especially in BG2, and I'm sure a lot of non-english speaking players are.
    Now, the most important part is the text : The sounds beeing in english, while not perfect is not as crippling as not having localized text (it's akin to viewing a film in VOST : it's not that bad)

Hence why it's really sad that BG2:EE isn't localized yet (But it's done by volunteers, mostly for free... can't expect people that don't get paid to work 24/7 either)
    @Cahir
    While your entire post is insightful, but I can personaly relate to only your first point, although not entirely. My English is not even near being good enough, yet I often try to speak my mind on general forum, often in order to improve my language.

Regarding that first point of yours, it would be best to just show it via example: for Pole to play BG2 without Krzysztof Kolberger as an Irenicus is like for native English speaker to play BG2 without David Warner as Irenicus.

So, it's not about fluency in English, but more about general feel of the gameplay.

@Cahir
    While your entire post is insightful, but I can personaly relate to only your first point, although not entirely. My English is not even near being good enough, yet I often try to speak my mind on general forum, often in order to improve my language.

Regarding that first point of yours, it would be best to just show it via example: for Pole to play BG2 without Krzysztof Kolberger as an Irenicus is like for native English speaker to play BG2 without David Warner as Irenicus.

So, it's not about fluency in English, but more about general feel of the gameplay.

Yep. Same for me for the french version of our NPCs :)
    French Irenicus is awesome, as is french Jan (Much lighter voice, way more funny than its english voice), as is korgan, Imoen or even Minsc (BG2 french Imoen voice is, way, way too awesome to pass)
    edited December 2013

@Cahir

@ZelgadisGW this is because of what I've said, Polish dubbing of (especially) BG2 is one of the best ever made and I think you would have different feeling if original voice-acting was awful.

Besides I really think, that your attitude of wanting to write English on forums as much as possible to improve your language skills is a minority among Polish players. I fear lots of player just lack the courage or desire of honing their language skills by reading or writing English. They just want to play Polish cause it's easier this way.

Don't want to sound harsh, but this is the way I see things here.
    Anyway we should be back on topic and let people share their experiences about beta. We just kinda hijacked this thread.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    I agree that mixed audio is not a good idea.

But I think that an option to choose between full english audio or translated audio for the original voices and no audio for the new content may be a good compromise.
  • MicaelianMicaelian Member Posts: 18
    @Dee I'm in the same situation as @notking, @Flashburn, @Messi and @Kilivitz. The patch seems to be neverendingly downloading, but there is no progress at all.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yep, looks like something's gotten snagged in the updater. We're looking into the problem now.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Tried downloading the patch again, and it's still getting stuck. Even after trying both repair installation and downloading the whole game.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It should be working now.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Dee said:

· 6941: The "Luck" spell no longer removes the target's weapon proficiencies

So that's what borked me today... I solo ran the entire return to Candlekeep episode today wondering why my F/M/T with two pips in Single Weapon Style CHARNAME was failing so much more than usual in combat... I clocked the lack of weapon proficiencies afterwards but couldn't figure out how or why.
  • MicaelianMicaelian Member Posts: 18
    @Dee: Sorry, but it doesn't (at least, not for me).
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    decado said:

Dee said:

· 6941: The "Luck" spell no longer removes the target's weapon proficiencies

So that's what borked me today... I solo ran the entire return to Candlekeep episode today wondering why my F/M/T with two pips in Single Weapon Style CHARNAME was failing so much more than usual in combat... I clocked the lack of weapon proficiencies afterwards but couldn't figure out how or why.
    Mmh, I'm not getting what you mean.. is the bug still there or not?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @Blash
    Yes it is. It will be fixed in the upcoming patch.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee any ETO for the live patch?
  • GazodGazod Member Posts: 35
    I heard rumors of a second Jason Manley portrait pack. If its true will we see it in this update?
This discussion has been closed.