Skip to content

Elite Fire Giants Are Cheaters *spoilers*

2»

Comments

• sturmvogel66sturmvogel66 Member Posts: 35
    While this is nothing new for experienced players, I find that my ranger/cleric functions quite well as a tank with ironskins, +4 FoA and Crom Feyr in ToB. Fire Giants of all types go down fairly easily, although I do sometimes have to pull off the line to drink a potion or two once the ironskins is down. Gotta say that I hadn't really thought about the advantages of the DoE in ToB; I'm gonna have to experiment with combining that with Hardiness to see how things go.
  • It's kind of depressing how hard it is to make a functional tank out of a warrior class in the late game. Even Hardiness doesn't help as much as it needs to when you're getting hit every single swing. I played around with this encounter a bit and was able to do it without a single potion or heal, using Edwin and stoneskins/mirror image. I guess that's how the game works, but it makes me die a little inside every time a paladin has to run for cover while my mage stands there and laughs in the face of danger. OK not really, but it still feels wrong!
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Agreed, fighters lack in tankiness in this game for sure. I view fighters mostly as easy sources of continuous damage dealing, though thats a bit hard when you're always backing off... Thats why i like the Archer class as a main damage dealer: 100% hitrate at higher levels, high damage, attacks from range. Fighters need to be micromanaged. If you got a fighter mage, thats better.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78

Solution to every mob that has no death spell is Conjure Animals. A level 6 druid spell. Those bears are super strong, and can tank almost anything that has no death spells (that insta-kills summons).

Honestly never found a better way to deal with trash mobs :p

The general rule of thumb in tob combat, as stupidly designed as it is, is to kill stuff before it kills you.
    Playing the endurance game is not a good way to win :(

Epic "tank" fighters being the worst tanks makes so much sence am I right? :p

I suspect that you have the Shapeshifter Rebalancing component of the BG2 Tweak Pack installed, which buffs those summons substantially.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    If somebody thinks that Fire Giants are cheaters, than he should try old Tactic mod and install part Improved Fire Giants. Then you will see what is cheating. Group of them (e.g the group that is guarding the entrance of their temple) can wipe out the high level group in few seconds.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    velehal said:

If somebody thinks that Fire Giants are cheaters, than he should try old Tactic mod and install part Improved Fire Giants. Then you will see what is cheating. Group of them (e.g the group that is guarding the entrance of their temple) can wipe out the high level group in few seconds.

Those are some cheating bastards. When they hit you, fire elemental and/or a firestorm will appear. Also, there is the recoil attack Lower Fire Resistance everytime you strike them. It can very ridiculous because one time I have my pc at -127 fire resistance.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    bbear said:

Those are some cheating bastards. When they hit you, fire elemental and/or a firestorm will appear. Also, there is the recoil attack Lower Fire Resistance everytime you strike them. It can very ridiculous because one time I have my pc at -127 fire resistance.

I think that the safest way to fight them is to kill them with the help of magic. Greater Malinson + Doom + Fingers of Dead. They just crush anybody in the melee combat. Tactic was fun. Improved Sahaugians, Improved Ilyich...
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited December 2013
    A high AC in TOB is -20 or less.
    -13 is ... meh :D

Basically, you need Gaxx + Cloak of sewers + 18 dex + Ring of Earth elemental control + high AC shield and highly enchanted full plate (Dragon, or regular with a +2 cloak)
    Add some buffs to that, and you'll get to -20 or so AC and be able to fight against these giants head on.

Otherwise, kill them before they do :p