Skip to content

who should voice the 3 new characters.....

BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
I've been thinking about it and looking at the chars, and imho, michael dorn should be the voice of dorn il-kahn. I know they haven't said anything one way or the other, but i would love this team if they brought that much badassery to the new char.

the other two chars, i'm honestly not sure. Neera is romancable, so i don't want her to sound like a child, and rashid just doesn't intrest me for some reason. But the more i look at the char art for neera, she definately seems young. Who do you think should do the voices for the 3?

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    John H Benjamin as all 3
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Neera - Maggie Smith
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2012
    Cue the mods splicing in sound bytes from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and giving Worf's lines and growls to Dorn. :)

(order Dorn to attack) "Today is a good day to die!"
    (romance Dorn) "I am NOT a merry man!"
    (Dorn has been injured) "This is the moment where life and death meet!"
    I vote Patrick Stewart for Rashid, in that case.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Moomintroll: Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess, no less. :)

(injured) "Good heavens, what am I sitting on?"
    (wild surge) "I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose."
    (casts Haste) "It always happens when you give these little people power, it goes to their heads like strong drink."
    @Shawne YES!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Bjjorick said:

I've been thinking about it and looking at the chars, and imho, michael dorn should be the voice of dorn il-kahn. I know they haven't said anything one way or the other, but i would love this team if they brought that much badassery to the new char.

the other two chars, i'm honestly not sure. Neera is romancable, so i don't want her to sound like a child, and rashid just doesn't intrest me for some reason. But the more i look at the char art for neera, she definately seems young. Who do you think should do the voices for the 3?

It would make the odd moment where you hear Michael Dorn's voice once in the game have a little less clarity though. I mean, would that mean CHARNAME mentally places Dorn Il- Kahn's voice as the voice of Bhaal in one of their dreams?
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    elminster said:

Bjjorick said:

It would make the odd moment where you hear Michael Dorn's voice once in the game have a little less clarity though. I mean, would that mean CHARNAME mentally places Dorn Il- Kahn's voice as the voice of Bhaal in one of their dreams?
    well honestly, that was such a small voice part, they could actually change that when they get to the 2nd game. I mean, you see bhaal for all of 5 mins, probably not even that long. Or, they could make a joke out of it, come out of the dream, and he could ask dorn, hey, the bhaal demon sounded a lot like you.......take off your mask, let me see what you look like.......etc etc. I know it probably won't happen, but i have to have hope. :)
  • MagissiaMagissia Member Posts: 2
    The guy who voice Raziel on Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver, and the one that voice Kain.

They have epic voices.
    @magissia I'm sure he's readier than a red cheeked maiden, my sparrow.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    That's kind of a tough choice... if I had the choice, I'd make Graham McTavish be Dorn's voice actor. That guy can do quite some voices!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Brian blessed for the half orc blackguard
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Im sure hiring a voice like patrick stewarts would chew through the budget so much there would be nothing left for the rest of the game! Look what happened to Oblivion :P
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    As Dorn Il-Khan, Roger Cross (If you played Fallout: New Vegas' last expansion you know who I mean, the guy who voiced Ulysses)

Im sure hiring a voice like patrick stewarts would chew through the budget so much there would be nothing left for the rest of the game! Look what happened to Oblivion :P

i'm not a big fan of the elder scrolls, but after hearing patrick stewart was in the game, i had to give it a try. Maybe that's pathetic, but i love me some TNG, and he has an awesome voice.

btw, that doesn't explain why skyrim seems just as bad, if not worse, then oblivion, at least imho.
    @bjjorick @excalibur how do you mean? I'd say Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all have different strengths and weaknesses. How do you find them bad? (not fishing for an argument, just curious)

@bjjorick @excalibur how do you mean? I'd say Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all have different strengths and weaknesses. How do you find them bad? (not fishing for an argument, just curious)

well, i played through oblivion, and the ending was terrible. there were alot of things i didn't like about the game, the way enemies leveled up and you would have to beat and beat and beat on weak enemies with awesome weapons for about 5 mins taking off maybe 1% of their health because you were high level. That's mechanics though, can be over looked.

Skyrim/oblivion, IN MY OPINION, was all style and no substance. You're this great hero, but you never even get to develop so much as a friendship. There were great parts to it, like the gladiator ring in oblivion, but i thought fable did it better. But a game that big and no companions, not even a pet dog always bothers me. There's no one special in the world, the law will see others commit crimes and don't care, but you do something minor and they're all over you.....etc.

the games are pretty, but take fallout. made it big, made it pretty, stupid story, and radiation had no real effect on the game. meds were too common. i didn't feel like i was trying to survive in a harsh world like the orginal games until i played new vegas, made by a different team. it's like with besethda, you're having wave after wave of dessert. No meaning to anything you do, none of your choices have an effect, you can't kill main people. Does it really matter if i go and do this main quest of picking flowers when the whole world is in danger? i never got a sense of anything i did mattered. that's why i don't like the games, and why i don't play them anymore.

I can go into more details, but i would love to see your response. Not trolling, not argueing, just sharing my opinion.
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick
    (irrelevant prologue)
    I guess there is one thing gameplay-wise that drew me to these games. When I was little I would sit next to my dad as he puffed on a cigar and mash the space bar for him as he played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Then when Quake came out I became a gamer and played shooters obsessively. I started playing RPGs later not as an RPer but just a gamer, it began to annoy me that your character got better at hitting things, not you.
    The last three elder scrolls games solved this problem for me for obvious reasons, they have a shooter element as well as the levelling of skills.

I'll mainly ignore Oblivion as it didn't suck me in.

Scaling.
    My problem with the elder scrolls games is that I think they would actually be better as a shooter (because it already is one) without a levelling system, new weapons, spells and the like could be found through narrative or hard adventuring like in the incomparable Thief: The Dark Project. This is a well trod issue so I shall try not to dwell on it. Still, the games have increased their investment in the scaling system, I can't think of anything to recommend it. Though it's just my personal preference that drives that.

Fast travel.
    -In Morrowind you had to walk, slowly! to ships or silt striders, if you ran you might be too tired to defend yourself against attacks. This meant you were a subject of your environment, had to plan out your journey (e.g walk here, silt strider there, ship to there, then walk again), made the same journey many times (which meant you built a mental picture of your environment). All these things added to immersion.

-In Oblivion I used fast travel, I don't know anything about that place, what joins the towns together, nothing.

-When I got Skyrim I decided I wouldn't use fast travel, and I didn't. It was awesome! it made the world feel huge, the immersion was brilliant, for reasons mentioned above. I was a mage and having no horse and cart from the mage's guild to anywhere else was an absolute pain! but that made it a better game.

Companions.
    I totally agree! I only just started using a companion last week, I can talk to her, what does she have to say? Nothing! I cannot understand why, she could have her own side quests like in SoA that would have been fantastic and made her a character, as it stands she isn't even a NWN henchman, terrible!

As for what brought us here. I prefer the voice acting in Morrowind to Oblivion, though that may just be nostalgia. Skyrim had some nice coherence with Scandinavian sounding (to me) voices all over the place.
    A couple of big names in Oblivion was nice to have, and used far more extensively in Skyrim. I would see this as the budget being larger for each game. Did the games suffer for money being spent on the actors? I don't see it.

Edit- Don't think I mentioned, I do really like Skyrim and Morrowind.
    hmmm you make your points well, and they are well taken. I can see where going from shooters to rpgs would lead you m ore to morrowwind, if at first or at all. I was never very good on shooters, and i love turn based strat/real time strat, and i'm very good at it. please understand, i don't think i'm better then you or that you're better then me, i believe we all have our own reasons for loving what we love. We're all people, and while i don't think you'd make that comparison, i have known people who did. i.e. you play rts games, you must not have skills/you play shooters, that's great if you don't have a brain/etc.

anyways, my point is that i had a friend who got an x-box when they came out, i got a ps2. I showed him ffx and other rpgs, and he showed me morrow wind. It looked good but he used a cheat where you could get a powerful weapon at the beginning of the game and dominate everything. I wasn't intrested in a game that easily broken. A few years later, there was a trilogy set of the 3 games for pc. I checked it on gamespot, it scored high, it seemed to have alot of elements i would enjoy. I picked it up and installed it. i liked it alot, even if the world did seem a bit too large. But my comp couldn't play it well, took forever to zone/saving took upwards of 1 min to 5 mins, and closing the game would take about 20 mins, no lie. This kinda killed it for me. I kept trying to play but the game would crash randomly and lock up my comp and my last save was awhile back because it took forever to save.... so finally i gave it up.

Oblivion came out and as i said, i played it. I thought it was a beautiful game, but again, no one had any personality. i played it for about 70 hours and i DID enjoy it alot, but the more i leveled up, the weaker i got. That bugged me alot. but as i said, you never made any friendship or any kind of connection with any npc in the game. there was one quest i loved where you had to get like the armor of 12 dishonored kights or something, it was a dlc and i loved it. But as much as i enjoyed oblivion, when i got to the ending, i hated it. You see this awesome boss, and you run from it. Then this little wimpy guy yu've been saving all through the game comes in and bam, one hit KO against big bad evil. Was ehhhhhhhhhhh.

So then fallout. I loved fallout 1 and 2. hated part 3. Hated how they dumbed the game down, hated that the places and the people and everything were just oblivion copy and paste with different clothes. i started to hate the company for killing one of my most cherished games.

and then skyrim. i played it for 10 to 20 hours, but it's just oblivion 2.0. I'm glad taht you enjoy it and that others like it, but to me, a good game is the connection i make with the people around me, not how pretty the world is. I love xenogears for psx even though it has bad graphics because of the connection with the people in the game world. yeah i odn't mind a good game worl dimmersion, but as i said, in oblivion, any immersion i might have had was lost in the whole concept of the more i level up, the weaker i get. I hated that they put that into fallout as well. I love when i fight is hard, but hard becuase it's wrote that way, and if i come back more experienced or with better equips, i can have an easier time. but morrow wind is the opposite, the more i work to become strong, the more i level up, the more experienced i get, the more i'm trapped as being weak and helpless???? will never understand why they thought taht was a good idea, and i love your idea of getting rid of level system, and maybe put in more weapons and better weapons.
  • BelgarathBelgarath Member Posts: 15
    Liam Neeson as Rasaad!!! I am asking way to much... I know :)
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    Julie Atherton as Neera. I love her voice even when she doesn't sing.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

Neera - Maggie Smith

You want her to sound like an old woman?
    @Awong124 in order to solve the TC's romance problem.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Voice actors hate being pigeonholed. Think on this, we really hate it.
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    I think Clancy Brown would make a great Dorn.
    @Dazzu Who is being pigeonholed? or typecast, if we are talking about acting.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Anyone but Jennifer Hale. I'm so sick of hearing her voice after Diablo 3 and ToR.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Ellen McLain as Neera. She does the voice of the Announcer in Team Fortress 2 and GlaDos in Portal/Portal 2
    "Oh, there you are... murderer." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmNlihNSJOY

And for the voice of Rasad, her husband, John Patrick Lowrie. He did the voice of the Sniper in TF2, Kinsler in Halo: ODST, John Slater in Left 4 Dead, and Warden Harms in Infamous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yowa2LMFzaY

Gary Schwartz for Dorn il-Khan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUJ4-lfpkI
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Jennifer Hale should be involved.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    It has to be more than a coincidence that they decided to name the Blackguard "Dorn." I'll be very surprised if Worf...I mean...Michael Dorn isn't the voice actor.