Skip to content

Bard Stronghold - The Playhouse - Obviously contains spoilers...

zunamizunami Member Posts: 42
Hello Everyone,

I've been trying out the new enhanced edition of my beloved childhood game Baldur's Gate II, and when I decided to try to make a bard character, I accidentally did something that must have caused me to bypass the opportunity to receive the Bard Stronghold.

I followed the quest line where you rescue Haer'Dalis from the wizard in the sewers, brought the Gem to the owner of the Playhouse and rescued her and her troupe from the astral prison, afterwards accepting Haer'Dalis as a companion, at least temporarily (mostly so I'd have the chance to summon him in Throne of Bhaal).

I never played a bard in the original game, and as such, I was unaware that you needed to get a deed from the Owner after her rescue, and checking my inventory, I noticed I never got a deed on any of my characters. Adding the deed via the cluaconsole didn't fix the issue, neither did the "setglobal has stronghold 0" thingy (YES, thingy is the technical term, deal with it... Not an expert with that console I admit), so obviously there must be some sort of bug, because according to all walkthroughs I've been able to find on the great internet, I have not been able to conclude that I did anything wrong.

I'd like to also report that it seems that something strange happened when I rescued the owner of the playhouse. Somehow, I assumed control of Haer'Dalis in the dialogue, despite Haer'Dalis not being in my party, and had to choose and answer which was his answer to his former employer. This can't possibly be a bug though, as the bug wouldn't offer suitable dialogue options for that character, I merely thought it strange and worthy of mention however.

(I had another strange bug with Haer'Dalis, or rather his dialogue on my ranger character, when I completed the Umar Hill's quest, where, when I was supposed to either refuse the post as ranger guardian or accept it, the dialogue options for neither were present, instead I had 4 dialogue options all regarding Haer'Dalis. Fortunately, an autosave minutes earlier allowed my to pick the right one through trial and error, and similar bugs have not occurred since. I'll make a separate bug-report for this, but I thought it was worthy of mention here as well, due to it's possible relation. )

I already tried speaking to the barkeep Samuel something, but nothing has worked, and I don't have the option to revert to an earlier save.

I ALSO had a similar problem with my paladin character (yes, I have 3 characters, I have a hard time deciding), where I was unable to join the order of the radiant heart, because I accidentally Firekraag before I received the quest to do so, and as such, Garren Windspear never recommended me for the order, but with that bug, I found a work-around using the Cluaconsole.

I used a combination of different commands and then speaking to Prelate Wessen got me accepted, and the remaining paladin quests were bugfree.

Because of this previous experience, I've managed to convince myself that not all is lost, and it must be possible to find a work-around with the cluaconsole for the bard quest as well, as obviously a future patch possibly fixing my problem for future players wont help me now.

If there are any cluaconsole sharks out there, I'd appreciate any help you can offer me.

I also downloaded EEkeeper (new version of shadowkeeper), if that's any use. I hear it can also be used to edit the global variables... I'm not a total noob with EEkeeper, as I remember tampering around with it when I was younger, and realized I wanted to correct some mistakes I made in character creation due to having been oblivious of the game mechanics at that time, so I can probably work with that no problem, if people can give me some pointers, but I'm a total stranger to the cluaconsole apart from what I already tried on my paladin.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Do you have any mods installed? It seems odd that so many of your quests are broken; a mod that has a problem (or conflicting mods) would explain that rather nicely.

By the way, I'd recommend reading this thread for some helpful tips: The Consolidated Reported Issues Thread (Please Read Before Posting!) (SPOILER WARNING)
  • zunamizunami Member Posts: 42
    It's unmodded.
    I admit to have tried out several mods previously, but having found them too bothersome to work with, I never used any of them with enhanced edition, apart from some custom character portraits.

The character is imported from BG I EE however, but that game was also unmodded.

I already skimmed through that link you posted (why wouldn't I? It's sticked at the top of the forum with a "please read before posting" message in the title...).

I'm mostly asking if anyone knows a cluaconsole work around to my problem, as I honestly don't know how to recreate this problem. I'm in the process of trying to gain the bard stronghold with another character, to see if it's a recurring problem, but it will take a little while, seeing as I'll have to do it the hard way.

I'm unable to attach a savefile, so no need to ask for that.
    I think you misunderstood me, it's not that I'm unwilling to provide a savefile, I simply can't. I'd explain why, but it's hardly important.

I was able to fix my problem with the paladin stronghold with the cluaconsole, and I'm guessing the same should be possible in this case.

I'm guessing I will need to spawn the woman who gives me the deed and hope she actually does this time, but then again, I have no way to assume she will even have any dialogue if I do this. Possibly there's just a global variable that needs editing, but I don't know which one.

I realize other people are more skilled with this, which is why I'm asking if anyone has any idea for possible solutions.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Illydth said:

Reporting Bugs
    -------------------
    When reporting bugs, please include the following information:

* A Saved Game. - Save your game often in different slots and upload your ZIPPED (or RARed) saved game to your bug report thread.

* A Set of Steps to Reproduce the Problem - This is VERY important. As you can see we get a ton of bug reports... having concise steps to reproduce the issue will get your bug a quick bug report...which is the first step to getting it fixed.

* If it is a dialog issue, please include a screenshot (or if that is not possible, an exact transcript of the conversation).

* Any Additional Information you think is relevant. If you've found a workaround or solution, post that also!

The easier it is on us to verify your problem, the faster your bug will get into the official bug reporting system...and thus the faster it will get fixed.

Posting in the Bugs sections of the forum is going to draw people looking to confirm and fix bugs. Without the necessary information, they won't be able to do that. Requests for assistance with bugs, as opposed to actual bug reports, should probably be posted in the General Discussion (Spoiler Warning!) section of the forum.
    It's still a bug though, and despite not being able to provide information on it, I'm sure posting it here is still better than not doing so. I will consider asking in the other forum as well.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    zunami said:

It's still a bug though, and despite not being able to provide information on it, I'm sure posting it here is still better than not doing so. I will consider asking in the other forum as well.

It is impossible to recreate the conditions for your perceived bug situation without a saved game. These games contain hundreds of variables. Figuring out their exact combination resulting in the problem is difficult even with a saved game.
    We have thousands of bug reports with better initial clues and more serious symptoms, so don't expect a solution soon.
    Hence why I asked for a solution with the cluaconsole and not a bug fix. I also asked in the general forum.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @zunami, we (nor anyone else with a simple enquiry, I suspect) cannot give you a solution using the Console due to not knowing what global/local variables are already set. Without knowing what you have done in that game thus far, and what variables are set (or for some reason are not set), there can be no solution. You will need to rely on someone else who has the same, or similar, issue.

If you have asked in the general section, I'll move this to Not An Issue. If, or when, you have the ability to upload a save game, we will then take another look and see if we can fix it. :)
  • hellraider2006hellraider2006 Member Posts: 1
    Same Problem. I use the Multi-Stronghold mod.
    Solved it with this console command:
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature ("bdbart01")
    No need for the deed.