Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Two Weapon Fighting penalties too high?

I started up a new game in BG:EE to play around with a Kensai build with the intention of dual-classing to either Mage or Thief in BG2.
I've given him 3 points in Two Weapon Fighting... but for some reason the penalty on his offhand is -4 despite the tooltip reading a 3 point investment at 0 for main hand and -2 for offhand.

He's wielding Drizzt's scimitars. Both +3, so it's not a weapon enhancement discrepancy or a proficiency penalty...

I have 2 points in Two Weapon Fighting with Jaheira as well and strangely... her offhand penalties for her offhand are -6?

I checked the known bugs and this isn't listed... anybody else having this problem?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 6,362
    This could be a "- is bunus, + is peanalty confusion" case. That said I am noticing that the kensai's 3 level bonus to hit does not seem to be applying itself to the off-hand. I will report that bug. In the mean time, just to be extra sure I know exactly what you are talking about, could you upload your save file?

CrevsDaakEmptiness
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013
    +++ in Two Weapon Fighting appears to be working correctly, at least with new characters created in SoA.

I'm also seeing that the Kensai to-hit bonus is not being applied to the offhand, which I also agree is a problem. Note that the Kensai damage bonus does apply to both weapons, which supports the idea that the lack of a Kensai bonus to-hit with the offhand is a bug.

As for the modifiers you are seeing, I was able to get the to-hit details to read:
    Ability Bonuses: -2
    Off Hand THAC0-Katana: +4
    The ability bonus is of course the Kensai bonus to hit. In your post you refer to a -4 "penalty", which I think is the same as the +4 "bonus" the engine is reporting in my case - ie both mean "chance to hit shifted 4 points in the direction of being less likely to hit". If that it the case, then I might know what is going on. In order to get the engine to display this value I equipped a weapon in which the character was proficient in the main hand, and a weapon in which the character was not proficient in the offhand. If my understanding of your post is accurate and both you and Jaheira have has a weapon in the offhand without proficiency in that weapon, then that would explain the numbers you are seeing her penalty.

Edit: Oh, now I see the part where you are wielding two Scimitars...so my theory fails. Maybe it explains Jahera's situation, though.

• LorosfyrLorosfyr Member Posts: 18
    She is wielding two clubs.

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 1,951
    Obviously, you have at least + in scimitar, yes? I almost hate to ask that but we need to address all possible sources of error. You might also want to double-check stylbonu.2da and make certain that the listings for "twoweapon-2" and "twoweapon-3" have the correct numbers for thac0_right and thac0_left.

• SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 243
    I noticed this problem too, has anyone addressed this recently, or knows the specifics about this fault?