Skip to content

[mod] Improved Comet and Improved Meteor Swarm

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
edited August 2018 in General Modding
As a result of this short discussion on the very similar HLA spells Comet and Dragon's Breath I made a very quick and simple mod that makes Comet much more worth using and, quite likely, more useful than Dragon's Breath even.

To install simply extract the all the contents of the zipped folder into your Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition directory (inside the folder with the baldur.exe and the override folder) and run the "Setup-Tresset_Comet" file and follow the on screen instructions.

The changes I have made to the spell:
1. Damage increased to 10d10 fire damage and 5d10 crushing damage (still no save).
2. Damage now bypasses magic resistance.
3. Stun duration shortened to 1 round and save removed (no save).

Since this is the first mod of mine that I have actually released to the public, I would really appreciate some feedback as to how I can package my future mods better.

Enjoy!

Edit:
At the request of @marcialhd I have made an improved version of Meteor Swarm as well. Installation works the same.

Here is what I did to improve Meteor Swarm:
1. Damage increased to 4d10 fire and 2d10 crushing.
2. Bypasses magic resistance.
3. Duration extended to 5 rounds.

Once again: Enjoy!

I may eventually include both of these into my tweak pack, but for now they will stay here.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• marcialhdmarcialhd Member Posts: 53
    hi how are you? i have a question well more like a suggestion really, could you make a mod similar to this but for meteor swarm? what i mean its mostly about tweaking its damage a bit so its more useful and/or making it deal crushing damage alongside fire damage, but still keeping some restrictions like: it cannot bypass magic resistance and doesn't apply stuns, i ask this mostly because while i know Comet is supposed to be an improved version of Meteor Swarm but the latter always felt useless even when compared lower leveled spells which doesn't makes sense.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Wow, this takes me way back...

@marcialhd I could certainly do that. Meteor swarm is pretty bad compared to the alternatives so I will have a look at it and see what I can come up with.

Looking back at the comet mod, I can see that it uses a very old and ham fisted installation method. I should probably update that while I am at it.
    I have updated the original Improved Comet mod with a more current version of weidu and a better installation method.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited August 2018
    @Tresset This seems like it would be nice to add to your Tresset's Choice Tweaks list of goodies. :)
    @marcialhd I have finished improving meteor swarm. I hope it is to your liking!