Skip to content

So does Hexxat work with a good party?

Provided I change her alignment with EEKeeper so she doesn't ditch at 19-20 reputation... she's not going to like, kill Neera or anything?

Or do I need to plan on another thief?

Comments

• MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    Apparently Mazzy, Keldorn, Anomen, and Aerie will all have conflicts with her eventually. Valygar argues with her but you can keep them together with proper dialog choices.

EDIT: I'm also not sure that changing her alignment will make her stay with the party if your reputation gets too high, that's probably a character flag that's not directly tied to it. I couldn't say either way but I'd be surprised if the game actually checked alignment.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited December 2013
    Thanks, that's more detail than I was hoping for. :)

I seem to recall alignment switching working for me at some point, but it was so long ago that I can't be sure. For what it's worth, this is in happy.2da:

GOOD NEUTRAL EVIL
    1 -301 -300 85
    2 -300 -161 84
    3 -161 -160 83
    4 -161 -81 82
    5 -160 -80 81
    6 -82 0 80
    7 -81 0 3
    8 -80 0 2
    9 -1 0 1
    10 0 0 0
    11 1 0 -1
    12 2 0 -2
    13 80 0 -80
    14 81 0 -81
    15 82 0 -82
    16 83 80 -160
    17 84 81 -161
    18 85 82 -162
    19 86 83 -300
    20 87 84 -301

(EDIT: Is there a code tag to preserve spaces?)

Which suggests to me that -300 or lower means they leave. It also looks like they Enhanced neutral characters so they wouldn't be unhappy with high reputation.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    What I'm wondering is if getting to 16 rep for Jaheira's quest will ruin my Hexxat romance, anyone know?

Also, how do I best hover at 16 rep :)

I'm not taking any of the real goodies this time around, F/I, Hexxat, Jaheira, Neera, Nalia, Viconia right now. Neera actually fights with Hexxat and so does Jaheira, but not enough for either to leave. I kinda wish I could take Mazzy with Hexxat, oh well.

Will taking Keldorn etc for just the time it takes for their quest upset Hexxat? I can't take Edwin anyway since I have Neera so that's a non-issue.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    @kryptix
    If you are romancing Hexxat, you can even have 20 rep and she won't leave. If you are at certain stage, of course.

And to answer philosophically to the OP, Hexxat works perfectly with a good party. It's them who seem to have a problem xD
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    To answer philosophically to Lathlaer... I disagree!
    But seriously, it is difficult from a role playing perspective to see why any good character would travel with either of the new evil npcs. My neutral good bard killed them both on site :)
    @booinyoureyes
    To be serious, is there a setup where Hexxat specifically initiates her dislike towards any other NPC which results in a fight and/or her leaving the party? Since she is rather unhappy with her current state and from few conversations with Rasaad, I kind of assumed that if anything, it's the others who have the problem :)
    Well, she sure showed some aggression toward Clara thats for sure :).

To be serious, I'm not saying she attacks or insults any other NPC or instigates conflict. I'm saying that almost no good NPC or PC would willingly travel with her knowing what she is and what she does (going double for Dorn who boasts about killing women and children) if we want to roleplay with any integrity.
    In fact, I'd think even evil and neutral NPCs would have major problems. I doubt Edwin would stand for being looked at as potential food or be happy with Dorn's nonchalant slaughter drawing the interest of powerful forces. Korgan is unhappy with the problems that Nalia brings to the group, I'm certain he'd find it worse to have even more of a hassle.
    You're right which surprises me even more when it comes to Rasaad's relation to her. Maybe he objects later in the game, I don't know, but so far he had no problems and even asked about her nature, clearly in order to learn something about Gamaz.

I guess it shows how much he changed since BG1.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Hexxat doesn't seem to be opposed to anyone, it is they who have a problem with her. With good reason, too, I might add. Unfortunately, all of her dialogues seem to be geared towards a romance, so if you're a man the only thing you learn about Hexxat apart from her condition is that she takes her contract very seriously, although that only creates the impression that she is LE, not NE. She's fairly dull. It is also true that both she and Dorn are written to be thoroughly 'evil' in different ways.

Dorn is essentially an extreme, divine-driven Korgan, which makes him harder to keep around, but offers little else except somebody else to take as an evil fighter on different playthroughs. I can't imagine having both at once, but it certainly is difficult to keep him or Hexxat in a mixed party, which is a shame.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited December 2013
    I used Korgan and Dorn together. I mean why wouldn't you? On an evil party they are the only front-liners you have until ToB (barring Charname). Hexxat is dangerous by squishy and Viconia can dodge but not really dish the pain, and is better with a sling anyway. Granted, if Charname is a Fighter-type then taking both might be a bit redundant.

I actually find Hexxat to be more LE than NE in general, to be honest.
    If you don't have any of the "good" guys in the party, Hexxat is really pretty neutral and doesn't push for any evil acts, even less so than Viconia who can turn neutral... The only one in my party who's made any remarks at all about hexxat was rashad warning me about her chewing me up and spitting me out.

She's actually pretty friendly with jaheira and neera etc. doesn't bait them at all like she apparently does with Aerie, so you never even get an inkling that she feeds outside of battle. Hexxat if you romance her with a neutral party seems no more "evil" than Jan, just maybe a bit more mercenary, with an insistence that she adheres to her contracts.

Viconia, jaheira and neera constantly have elf politics debates though. I find it funny that Jaheria actually vouched for recruiting Viconia though. Neera flipped when she saw Edwin though.

Korgan works with everyone which is kinda wierd.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    PugPug said:

(EDIT: Is there a code tag to preserve spaces?)

<pre></pre>
  • Dream_MakerDream_Maker Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    I have a question kind of related to the subject.

I'm currently playing a mixed alignement party playthrough in SOA (Charname Druid, Dorn, Valygar, Neera, Aerie, Hexxat) and I heard that Hexxat eventually enters into conflict with Aerie in TOB (Valygar as well in SOA but apparently there is a way to talk him down and keep him anyway?).

What I was wondering is if there is a solution to keep both characters in the party up to the end of the game or will I be eventually forced to pick between Aerie and Hexxat? Going as far as TOB I think it's going to be quite a pain to find a proper replacement for one or the other.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    You will have to pick between them.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    kryptix said:

Not weird at all. He is a mercenary; his only concern is getting the job done.

kryptix said:

Not weird at all. He is a mercenary; his only concern is getting the job done.

He is such a beast that he makes me kinda wish I'm taking him along :) I think I've figured out my party for my next play through...

Ranger/Cleric, Mazzy, Korgan, Wilson, Jan and a flex. I guess I'd usually take Imoen, which works out as a second mage too... Problem is that means I'll have to go straight to Spellhold early because if I don't, Imoen will be way behind in levels.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    kryptix said:

Don't Korgan and Aerie force you to choose between them?

@Mitchfork I'm actually not sure, I can't stand Aerie unless I'm romancing her so even though she's one of the strongest NPCs I don't take her very often... I end up taking Nalia instead even though Aerie is basically superior in all respects.
    edited December 2013
    He pisses her off to the point where she won't stay in the same party with the pig. Yet when she

gives birth he seems to find the kid cute...

Also she finally stands up for herself in ToB, and Korgan says that he was just toughenin' 'er up the whole time, and he's happy she now has a backbone.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    She doesn't work in a good party. To be honest, even the ones she doesn't fight with are just... meh. Imoen's writing especially makes me angry; she's supposed to just be silly, not actually an imbecile. It might be forgivable, but the conflict with Aerie makes it impossible for any character to be ignorant of what Hex gets up to while in the group. Imoen, Minsc, Nalia, Jaheira and even Cernd just wouldn't stand for it.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Your good party has murdered more people than the most infamous serial killers of history. It's more than easy enough to explain why many of them could tolerate a powerful ally who is herself also a victim, particularly since you have no real window into what your charname might have said about the matter.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Yes, but they were all bad, and most of the time leave you with no choice but to stab them before they stab you. Hexxat however is killing indiscriminately. She may need to feed to survive, it's still not something a good character can accept.

edited December 2013
    Coutelier said:

She doesn't work in a good party. To be honest, even the ones she doesn't fight with are just... meh. Imoen's writing especially makes me angry; she's supposed to just be silly, not actually an imbecile. It might be forgivable, but the conflict with Aerie makes it impossible for any character to be ignorant of what Hex gets up to while in the group. Imoen, Minsc, Nalia, Jaheira and even Cernd just wouldn't stand for it.

Thats the thing, if you don't have Aerie, no one else ever makes a big deal about it and she doesn't rub it in their faces either... Well I haven't tried Mazzy or Keldorn yet, but I'm planning to try Keldorn (but only for a little bit while Jaheira is gone). Aran Linvail was not happy though.
    Ayiekie said:

Your good party has murdered more people than the most infamous serial killers of history. It's more than easy enough to explain why many of them could tolerate a powerful ally who is herself also a victim, particularly since you have no real window into what your charname might have said about the matter.

I have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about. My good charnames never murder anyone. Hexxat does.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    My good characters don't murder, they "vanquish", or "defeat". Evil characters "murder" and "slaughter". I mean, technically they both chopped off some jerk's head and used it as a bowling ball, but my paladin bowled it righteously, and felt bad about it afterwards.

On a serious note... I haven't played the EE so forgive me if it's a dumb question, but is the only evil thing about her the fact that she needs to feed? Can't you give her some bandits that you were going to thoroughly stab anyways?
    @Nano murder=/=killing. Fighting Firkraag isn't exactly slaughtering Noober or Clara (who as far as we can tell was an innocent, but we don't know for sure).

As for the second question, there is a difference in choosing who to feed on. She basically says when you first meet her she doesn't care who she eats at all. She doesn't do the vegetarian vampire thing (lol) by only eating bandits or Shadow Thieves or Orcs.

So while she's not not "angryangrykillkill" like a Dorn (which I personally find kinda lame), she is definitely in the evil category. She doesn't enjoy the killing but she doesn't exactly have a conscience as far as I can tell (Haven't finished)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, I know, as good characters we only kill people who deserve it. Still, if it wasn't just a game I'd feel uncomfortable about slaughtering hordes of bandits and other lowlifes - they are bandits, but you might recall on the road to Nashkel the Flaming Fist that assume you're a bandit party. When you offer to submit to a trial they decide just to execute you on the spot. Kind of a dick move if you think about it and not exactly good... and my good characters don't even give my enemies the chance, but put them to sleep and slit their throats as soon as they show their faces. It's a good thing the world comes so neatly sorted into "deserves to die" and "innocent" or a good character would have a really hard time.

I see what you mean about Hexxat, so it's not really the killing part that makes her incompatible but the indiscriminate nature of it.
    eh. the bandits attack you on site. Plus they are like killing dozens of people in the caravans. I didn't think Bub Snikt was a bandit and kill him, and I wasn't like "Yo Ajantis, feel my wrath fiend!". I don't think good charnames are anything like the Flaming Fist creep. Plus I think he was Lawful Neutral anyway :p
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @booinyoureyes
    Dorn kills because he is angry, and that makes him unoriginal.
    I kill because I am happy and because I don't tend to think like everyone else, alas, I'm maaaaaaad.

For me, the only ones that are truly evil are:
    1) Sarevok, he insn't only the baddie that wanted to kill you in BG1, he don't likes murdering nor searches only for power, his actions make him evil IN his pursuit for power.
    3) Edwin, he is another evil man, he uses the Law to accuse others, and mostly to accomplish HIS goals, he is a betrayer, but still being completely evil.
    2) Eldoth, he might not seems evil but he IS evil, kidnapping people, blackmailing everyone including your mother (literally, if he had the chance, sure he would).
    Honorable mentions in the Evil scale go to: (no order, GO CHAOS!!)\
    Viconia, Korgan, Xzar and Montaron, Ignus, the Practical Incarnation, a truly Evil BG PC (most people running evil have 17 REP and high CHA, with a party with neutral monkeys in the middle).
    edited December 2013
    Kagain is the really evil character that least calls for evil action. Faldorn is certainly more actively evil than Kagain (and even Viconia). Also I'd suspect Korgan would be just as happy slaying evil Orcs as he would be humans as long as he gets paid.

Kagain is pretty much the one evil NPC I'd take in a good party other than perhaps Viconia. I've taken Korgan for a bit but I always kill him :p